Correct thinner for cleaning enamel paint from airbrush.

Davey

Good evening fellow builders, I was wondering if lacquer thinner is the correct type to use when cleaning enamel paint out of my airbrush. I am taking a break from my normal builds, aircraft, ships and tanks to kick out a few cars. I have a good stash of 70s 80s nascar kits and am wanting to perfect my gloss finish painting skills. Normally i use MM, Tamiya and vallejo paints for my military builds. i realize rust-oleum has bought out testers, at least their aerosol cans. My favorite method is to decant the amount of paint into a jar for airbrushing after 30 minutes sitting i have a perfect batch of paint ready for the airbrush. today i shot the red color on my salvineosJR donny Allison monte carlo in the booth. Lacquer works on enamel for cleaning but tends to cause the remains of paint to kind of clot or ball up instead of reducing and making it easier to wipe away.20221107_172247.jpg20221107_172247.jpg20221107_172247.jpg

I like using turpentine . Odorless mineral spirits too .
Xylol ( Xylene , dimethylbenzene ) works better , especially if it's dried , but I'm not a fan of the odor .

I use paint thinner. it works great for me. I have some Floquil that I bought years ago that I just opened that is made especially for thinning paint and cleaning airbrushes. I believe it has been discontinued but it is the same thing I buy at Walmart for cleaning my paint guns in my wood shop.

I usually approach any cleaning situation that involves solvents by starting with the weakest solvent and working my way up until I find the least toxic one that works. For enamels and other oil-based paints I start with odorless mineral spirits (Turpenoid). If that doesn't work, move up to brush cleaner (Methyl Ethyl Ketone). Lacquer thinner is the final resort, reserved for the toughest/dried paints. Make sure you've got good ventilation or you'll enjoy a parade of plaid elephants playing jazz trombone on unicycles...

(For acrylics, I try water->rubbing alcohol->denatured alcohol)

I use mineral spirits to clean the brush after spraying enamels, too. I use mineral spirits to thin them, too.
I'll use lacquer thinner to clean if there is a stubborn build-up.

I think that hardware store lacquer thinner is the best option for airbrush cleaning, cleans all kinds of paints without effort and it's cheap, but you really have to beware about nozzle seals and o-rings, it killed my two airbrushes, when i started modeling. Also you have to work in a ventilated area.

For enamel or lacquer paints I blast some white spirit through to get rid of any excess paint in the airbrush.
Followed on with Cellulose Thinners until it sprays clear into a white tissue.
Then to finish I blow through some dedicated air brush cleaner to clean and protect the seals and 'O' rings

Acrylics Water or Acrylic Thinners Cellulose Thinners Dedicated Airbrush cleaner

I use a brush loaded with thinners to clean the nozzle area and a wooden cocktail stick used very carefully for any stubborn bits in that area.

Latest posts

Back