Cool Tool

hooterville75

While I was out and about tonight, we stopped at a Walmart on our way home from Washington DC. The better half was looking around in the nail polish section so I out of boredom just started snoopen. I ran upon the words Emery Board. I was like ;D hmmmmmm. So I pick it off the shelf and take a bit closer look. Now Im sure with all you pros on here your all well aware of this tool but just by chance if your not I figured being the newbie I am and being proud of this find for myself, Id share it with you.

I found a emery board that has seven sides to it with each grit possible on ONE emery board. Thats whicked cool to me :D So if any of you arnt aware of this tool and would like to add it to your arsenal, head to your local Walmart and look in the Nail polish section. $2.88 well spent on my part tonight haha.

I will also add that I popped in the Hobby Lobby I ran upon tonight in Chambersburg, PA on our way home and checked out their selection. While a bit pricy they did have a decent selection of various products, to my surprise Tamiya.

So added to my young collection as the newest newbie to the HERD (HAHA) tonight I added the following:

Emery Board Tool
3M Wet/Dry Sand Paper 400 and 600 Grit
A big can of Rustoleum Gray Primer (Please tell me this will work it was too cheap to pass up)
A can of Duplicolor Gloss Coat
A water container to put decals on
Two bottles of Future Polish

It will take some time but Ill get my Arsenal to where it needs to be :D Slowly but surely. Quality vs Quanity.

Thanks for all the help that you all have given me. Im very proud to have picked such a awesome hobby and had the chance to run into the cool people of this Forum.

Cheap primer is always a gamble. Try it first on something you don't mind junking if it goes badly. And that much Future will last you a lifetime.

But you missed the dollar store crazy glue 3 packs. ;)

Can you spray a bit of primer from the spray can into a jar, add some thinner to thin it, and then spray it through your spray gun ? Ive gotten a little Propellent Testors Airbrush to see if I can adapt to the fact of airbrushing but havent used it much yet. I would rather shoot the primer out of the airbrush then use the spray can. I have no consistency with the amount of primer that comes out of the spray cans vs the general control of airflow with the airbrush.

Just wondering if I could transfer the primer from the spray can to the jar, thin it and shoot it through the airbrush ?

It's called decanting. Basically spray into a tube into a jar. And the biggest hardest to learn trick of airbrushing is many light coats versus getting one solid color all at once. Primer and paint work best if it goes on in smooth even coats over one heavy coat.

I would just straight shoot from the spray can right into my jar that Ill be shooting through the airbrush. No tube, straight from can to jar. Would the primer need to be thinned or would it be ok right out the spray can ?

It will probably need a little thinner. Spraying right into a jar works too, but it helps if you cover it with a cloth or something to keep the mess level lower. That's part of learning an airbrush. You want your paint to be about as thick and cosistent as milk. That ought to get you started.

hooterville75 said:
Ive gotten a little Propellent Testors Airbrush to see if I can adapt to the fact of airbrushing

Here's the fact. You CAN airbrush...you just haven't yet. Remember when you couldn't walk, talk, ride a bike, read, drive....it's no different.

Start with low expectations. Get some paper...airbrush lines, dots, puddles, messes. Keep working at figuring it out. Test paint/thinner ratios..practice.

You CAN use an airbrush (heck you can create an account on a forum, login and post, you can build a model, you can visit your inlaws) you CAN airbrush.

You simply need to learn and practice.

haha, here is my thoughts from my first real airbrush painting session. First off let me start with a Propellent Airbrush is GARBAGE. I will no longer ever airbrush until I have the proper equipment IE a airbrush compressor and a REAL airbrush. Although the air pressure I was receiving out of the can was spuratic, as stupid as it sounds it was TONS of fun. I did manage to get all of the parts I was painting that needed painted black finished.

Right now all I have are Nascar models. I experimented with the primer shooting it from the spraycan into my jar, thinning it and spraying it onto the models body. Disaster. While I got it primed, their was runs. It may be ruined, it may not be. Ill see tomorrow. IF its ruined thats ok though I dont mind because I have a bunch of them.

I will say that thinning paint is going to be subject of experimentation. The primer I believe was WAY to thin. I did get the black paint I shot right. I believe it took three parts paint to one part thinner. Over and all, this is going to be an all together blast.

Thanks again for all the kind suggestions and posts, I truely appreicate them all. Please keep them coming. When I get my arsenal completely stocked and the proper things I need, Ill start participating in the build portion of the forum and take photos of my build for all to view and give me pointers. Thanks again.

Awesome. You had FUN!

Yeah, paint should be similar to consistency of milk. take some from the fridge and pour an bit on the counter,,,then put your finger in it and push it around. Then you'll know.

Get a Badger brush and a compressor and then giver.

You shouldn't have to thin the paint from the spray can as it's already thinned for spraying.

Also when decanting, remember that it's not merely spraying the paint into a jar and then using. You really need to let the paint sit and allow the propellent plenty of time to 'gas out' before using. Don't ever decant paint into a container and then place the lid on without allowing the proper time needed to gas out the paint, unless you want to wear it the next time you open it. ;)

Yes. ;)

Albeit man years ago, it was like opening a can of Coke that someone had shook.

Pssshhhh! Paint everywhere.

Oh and I forgot...

the milk thing. It's usually said you want the constancy of 2% milk, not whole milk.

Like Scott said, put a little on the counter and drag your finger through it, do you see that semi translucent, 'dirty water' look to the 2% milk? That is what you want your paint to look like.

^ Exactly.

Actually Ken taught me this trick and I literally poured milk on the counter top. I really helped me to 'get it'.

I didn't even cry.

Latest posts

Back