Contest crazyness, Jeep's Model

Jeep

What brought me to this forum was a suggested video on You tube, That video was for a modeling contest. I have been knocking around what to enter while listening to some Metal (Sabaton, ManOwar, Hammerfall) I was going to enter yet another tank build, tempting, Or maybe a Jeep, but I have enough real ones (4) that take up to much time as it is. then I came across the swords into plow shares, Hmmm, I saw converted Shermans on the Axeman TV show after seeing the "yarder". I think I have a subject.

Behold the Shervick Bulldozer a real life conversion of a war weary sherman tank into a worn out Bulldozer.

Wow, that is so awesome. What a great entry this will be! Thank you Jeep! I love to see your thought process.

Jeep said:
The forum hates me so.............
Not sure what you mean by that...is there a problem?

Not a problem per-say I was having problems getting image shack to interface with the forum, that is why I have so many double and even triple posts. That is why the forum hates me and imageshack

I have started this project now, Trying to scale the proportions from internet photos, I may have to do some creative engineering, and guess work to build this, The only survivor is/was at a a junkyard in Belgium the rest were pretty much sent to Africa where they did not last long. At least I have a pair of Shermans with in 3 miles of me to get some measurements from, these were taken today at the Army Heritage museum (under Construction) located in Carlisle, PA, Incidentally, it is a "runner"

I have been pretty busy on this project today, Went down the road to the Army Heritage Museum armed with a tape measure, note book and camera. It would have been great except my camera has decided that the battery will not hold a charge so no detail pics to post or use as reference. I also had some technical conversations with my dad and grand father, who both ran cable lift bulldozers.

This model is a bulldozer that functions with a cable lift of the blade. This is done with a winch usually located in the back of the dozer. The steel cable is run through a series of pulleys from front to back through sections of steel pipe, Not to protect the cable, but to protect the operator encase the cable breaks! Preventing the cable from whipping around and killing those that happen to be near it. This is a important detail and one the images above shows a mysterious pipe above the Right hand track that is now explained. I know from research that the Shervick bulldozers used the final drives, track brakes, clutches, transmission and diesel engine from Sherman tanks as well as the track components. After scaling my donor model, two real sherman tanks and my prototype images, I have decided that although the boogies form the sherman tank are used and the hull might have been used in the prototype. I am going to scratch build the hull and super structure from evergreen and plastruct, using kit parts where applicable. This is because there is a difference in spacing between the boogies between the tank and what the images of the Shervick dozer show to allow space to mount the bulldozer blade between them.

I knew going in that I was going to have to use some license figuring out this conversion. Some of that modelers license is going to be in the cab and the winch, parts of the blade and parts that just are not clear form the reference available. One of the assumptions I am thinking about using is to use a "surplus" Braden/Tulsa PTO winch, these were used through WW2 right up to 1968 on Dodge Powerwagons, It would have been available in war torn europe and has the capability to lift the blade on a dozer. I also have access to one to measure, We (my father) has a 1967 Dodge MW300 Power wagon (guess what I learned to drive on), It was so fitted with a PTO winch of this type. My best guess is that this would sit in place of the driver and bow gunner/radio operator would be in the sherman tank on my dozer, I know that there is a winch to lift the blade and that location makes the best guess as to its location.

In my conversations on early dozers, I learned a couple of other things that can apply to this model, First is a cable lift dozer's blade always floats, it relies on shear weight to apply force on the cutting edge of the blade, That is why the arms of the blade are so beefy in the images. I also learned that usual practice in controls are as follows. In addition to the PTO and Winch controls I will need steering yokes, control left and right tracks though brakes and clutches, Gear shift and clutch petal and a decelerator petal, it seems that early dozer engine ran at governed speed unless the engine was decelerated with application of the pedal usually to change gears, opposite of what a car or truck would be. Now I have no idea whether or not the Shervick tractor/dozer used these controls or what the exact lay out is but building my model around common practice makes a sort of back handed sense.

Below is my progress on the hull and track assembly, I need to make decisions on the tracks soon, use either the kit parts, another kit parts or some fancy ModelKasten or Verlinden "workable" tracks which would add expense to this project but make getting the lengths a little easier and probably sag more realistically. I need to start mocking up the engine and cab then I can figure out the engine overhang on the front of my hull. But not a bad start on this project. I also found out that the one remaining Shervick tractor in Belgium (the image in color) was scrapped in August 2008, Swords to plows to razor blades.

a) You gotta fix your keyboard with some putty. ;D
b) The build looks quite great so far! Good work. Too bad the pictures are a bit blurry. :p

Progress as of now:

The engine completed, the louvered engine hoods are a pain in the butt, on side is .015 styrene with individually cut louvers, what a PITA, especially when they started to fall off! The opposite side was paper thin .005 Styrene, these louvers where made my careful scribing then pushing a hooby screw driver into the plastic against a large rubber eraser, these turned out better but still not great. I hope it will be passable with some paint.

I got most of the wire rope rigging is started (using a real wire rope, used for hanging pictures) The winch and transmission "lump" installed in the hull. The winch is patterned after our old Dodge, it seemed to work ok, The controls are also now mostly installed at the back of the engine, I just need some petals and gauges then it is off for the seats and roof.

I have started the push frame and have started to plan out the blade, all in all it is coming together nicely

Blade is close to done , I really like how that is turning out. Its beginning to look like a bulldozer.

I was knocking around old equipments sites doing some more research and came across this conversion, Pretty cool.

Matilda Tank converted to a Bulldozer

This Matilda tank has had many significant modifications when it was converted to a dozer.
The modifications include:

* Home made blade
* The trunions for the blade were made from cannon barrells
* The trunion caps were cannon barrell counterweights
* The top skid bars for the tracks have been replaced with rollers
* Excess armer has been removed
* Plough disks and scraper bars have been attached to the sprocket drive to stop sand entering the final drive seals.
* The original Wilson Power Shift transmission has had some the the spacer planetarys replaced with cogs. Some of the planetary gears had two planet cogs and two spacer blocks. The two cogs sometimes broke, but with 4 planet cogs there were no further problems.
* The fuel tank is from a General Grant tank
* The canopy is made from Bren Gun Carrier axles
* The engine is half a GM 6-71 twin pack engine set (still with transfer case) from a Gernal Grant tank.
* The second engine has been replaced with the hydraulic pump
* The hydraulic ram was home made

I am getting close to final assembly and thinking about paint now. I am open to suggestions but right now worn olive drab on the sherman photo, the color photo of the shervick it looks like it was painted brown but most of it is a shade of rust, I am not sure about doing the whole thing as a exercise in modeling rust.

Latest posts

Back