Confidence boosters?

ClumsyModeler

So, as I get back into the swing of building models again, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on "confidence booster" kits.

What's a confidence booster, you ask?

Well, it should be a kit that is well engineered so that it doesn't provide much hassle during the build. You know - those kits people typically refer to as the types you can toss some glue into the box and shake it, and the kit almost builds itself. It should be a good representation of its subject which builds quickly (perhaps a weekend build?), and looks good when done. Well, it shouldn't take a lot of effort to make it look good, that is. A modeler of moderate or lesser skill should be able to put together something that winds up looking like a decent looking kit.

So, anyone have any suggestions on kits that meet this criteria? Just about any subject will work, and I'd like this to be a reference for people looking to get inspired again.

Thanks, all!

Hmmmm, Tamiya makes really well engineered kits that go together with little trouble. I built some of their 1/48 scale tanks and fighter planes with relative ease when I got into the hobby years back, as long as you follow the directions and have some basic painting skills, you will end up with a very nice representation of the subject. If you're more in a sci-fi kind of mood and dont want to do any painting or glueing, Bandai makes a whole plethora of really cool snap together kits of mainly anime subjects, most popular probably being Gundams and other mecha style vehicles. The Bandai kits do take some effort to build, but unless you're planning on painting, most of them present very little challenges. Could easily be thrown together in a weekend. Revell also makes some really decent snap together Star Wars kits that really look great with a little love and attention.

Well I hope these suggestions help you out or at least steer you in the right direction. Keep us posted

Can't go wrong w a gundam kit. Grab on of the 'real grade' kits. They look great right out of the box, and you can always get into painting them later.
Another option is the 'egg plane' range by hasegawa, great fun, simple builds of well known military aircraft and even some helicopters and commercial airliners.
One of my recent quick builds was a simple military jeep, slap it together, paint it, drop on driver and stowage and you are done. Then you can come back, weather it up and/or drop it on a diorama

If it's armour that you're after building I am a big fan of the Hobby Boss and Trumpeter kits. They both come in at about half the price of the Dragon kits, and are almost as detailed but much more straight forward to build (and the instructions make sense too!). This said it can vary from subject to subject so I tend to do my research on the many model review sites online before buying.

Latest posts

Back