[COMPLETED] Trumpeter 1/35 USMC LAV-AT "Operation Desert Storm"

Re: [WIP] Trumpeter 1/35 USMC LAV-AT "Operation Desert Storm"

Keep in mind, that is just a "guide" to go by, and I am sure no where near perfect, as each person has their own preferences. Even myself, depending on that it is I am building will deviate from this sometimes.

The only 'downside' is if you apply pigments directly to the fresh gloss coat... sure they will rub off easier than if applied directly on a matte coat but that's not quite what I was saying.

When I wrote pigment filter I wasn't talking about wanting that dusty/dirty look at all and I want to be able to remove it/rub them off and feather them into the surroundings for a chalky, layered depth to the finish. (This is what I alluded to when I said what my part two video will show.)

Also, after many layers of oil filters the gloss coat is no longer an issue as the gloss is almost non existent at this point. The oils have pretty much completely covered it and created plenty of bite for any pigments to follow.

My order isn't really an order and has about twenty or more steps to it and is usually comprised of repeating steps over and over back and forth. I don't apply only one wash on a model, I will easily apply a wash five, or seven, or ten separate times to create depth, a wash over the decals, then a wash over the filters, more filters over that wash and then another wash, then a wash over the pigments, etc.

In fact, my SMA contest entry Dodge never even received a matte coat at all, actually many of my models never get one. The layers of various weathering, repeated over top of each other again and again dull and/or cover any shine from the future and make a matte coat completely unnecessary.

*note, this is only the techniques I use, not a claim as to how anyone else should build or paint their models.

I hate to wash alone.

Scott Girvan said:
I hate to wash alone.
HA! ;D

"Take a bath, everyday, let that odor float away, hygene makes us all feel clean..(sniff..sniff..sniff)...see what i mean?" Porky's 3. ;)

Nothing I hate most, is to go to a scale model
Show; Only to smell those dirty modelers! LOL

The beauty of the English language! ;D

@ScalelModelMadman, "Filter"? Can you elaborate on what you mean there. Thx

Dano1945 said:

We talked about FILTERS..... a few pages ahead on this Tread ! Being either "thinned out" Airbrush Colors...to balance the overall shade of a kit ! or tinny dots of Artist Oil paints... rubbed on the finish to accent or shift some colors... I'm sure some guys can even obtain this effect using well chosen Pigments or pastel powders...?

Dreamknight did post some good links about those techniques.... !!! take a look !

Norm.

OUT !

My bad for not reading the whole post. Thanks.

schweinhund227 said:
Dano1945 said:

We talked about FILTERS..... a few pages ahead on this Tread ! Being either "thinned out" Airbrush Colors...to balance the overall shade of a kit ! or tinny dots of Artist Oil paints... rubbed on the finish to accent or shift some colors... I'm sure some guys can even obtain this effect using well chosen Pigments or pastel powders...?

Dreamknight did post some good links about those techniques.... !!! take a look !

Norm.

OUT !

schweinhund227 said:
I'm sure some guys can even obtain this effect using well chosen Pigments or pastel powders...?

Hmmm... I'm not sure if you can do filter effects with Pigs or Pastel. The material is very different from oils. All you'll get is just a different color of a pigment/pastel when it dries up so all it'll look like is you got some weird color dust on the model.

Carsenault,

firstly, I would like to apologize for being partially responsible for this threads derailment. I know it can sometimes be frustrating, when others spend all their posts discussing something else in your WIP thread as you attempt to keep it on track. Again, I apologize for letting a handful of my posts dwell on a side topic.

Secondly, if you would like me to split this topic into two threads I would be happy to do that, allowing you to continue building, unfettered by a side topic which just wont go away and easily could be discussed 'ad nauseam' in a thread of it's own.

:p

DreamKnight said:
Hmmm... I'm not sure if you can do filter effects with Pigs or Pastel. The material is very different from oils. All you'll get is just a different color of a pigment/pastel when it dries up so all it'll look like is you got some weird color dust on the model.

While pigments may be great for dust and dirt, that is not their only use and limiting yourself to using them for that alone, only denies yourself of a handful of other great effects that are possible. There are many other ways one can apply and use these products and I wonder if modelers tend to get themselves into one routine and never stray outside that box or thought process.

If filtering, streaking, fading, rusting etc. wasn't something that could be done with them, why would they create colors other than mud and dirt colors? What other uses could 'Panzer Grey', 'Allied Green', 'Primer Red', 'Track Brown' have? Surely those aren't sold for the purpose of weird colored dust.

???

pigs-1.jpg

Hey there Ken,

Copper Rust..they change the name on that one? I don't recall having a Copper Rust when I had Mig Pigments at the shop. 026....wasn't that one the Standard Rust??

They changing the names again to make them more "interesting"

@ScaleModelMadman Oooh is that a USMC halftrack I see?

ScaleModelMadman said:
While pigments may be great for dust and dirt, that is not their only use and limiting yourself to using them for that alone, only denies yourself of a handful of other great effects that are possible. There are many other ways one can apply and use these products and I wonder if modelers tend to get themselves into one routine and never stray outside that box or thought process.

If filtering, streaking, fading, rusting etc. wasn't something that could be done with them, why would they create colors other than mud and dirt colors? What other uses could 'Panzer Grey', 'Allied Green', 'Primer Red', 'Track Brown' have? Surely those aren't sold for the purpose of weird colored dust.

Didn't say anything about "streaking, fading, or rusting"... I'm saying I dunno if you can filter with pig/pastel? If filtering is to change the variety of the original color by tinting it with another color, I can see oils doing that, but when the pigs/pastel dries up, wouldn't it just get dusty instead with the combined colors? Or am I not understand what filtering is?

Hey all, sorry for the slow updates, been busy with a few things, plus we moved the mancave to the basement this week. still setting things up to my liking.

I decided to skip the oil wash and/or dot filtering when I saw how much the oil paints were at Micheals :eek:.
So I went with a filtering using a few different enamel tan shades. I then took one of the tan shades and did some splattering with it. I like the effect. Ill snap some piccs soon to show where Im at.

No need to apologize!

We are all doing something else it seems! Looking forward to see your pictures.

About the filters and so on! No worries there as well. As long as YOU are pleased with it, that's the main objective. The day you build models to please others, call it quit! No fun in that!

Might as well share the new man cave as well! Don't forget about the Spraybooth. Very important for you and your family health!

Norm. Out.

schweinhund227 said:
Might as well share the new man cave as well! Don't forget about the Spraybooth. Very important for you and your family health!

Norm. Out.

Ill snap some pics of the man-cave too. I want to build myself a spray booth also. I know I cant keep using currugated cardboard boxes. One good thing with this setup right now is there is a small window with a wide ledge near where I do my airbrushing. The window opens up just wide enough that I can place a fan in there to blow the air outside.

Anyone know how long the antenna masts are on these things?

I had read that most are 2.8-3m in length. The ones on my C2 are 8cm long with translates out to 280cm at 1:1, or 2.8m (about 9ft)

Now that is a Command vehicle that would have alot of aerials for radios and such. Don't know if an AT LAV would have as long of an aerial.

Latest posts

Back