COMPLETED Pz. II G DAK

wyoroy

We everyone. I'm calling this done. This is the old Tamiya 1/35 Pz. II Ausf G DAK. This is my first armor build in close to 40 years. The kit was painted in Model Master Enamels; primer Italian Dark Brown #2111, base color Panzer Africa Grunbraun #2099, spots Panzer Africa Khakibraun and a oil wash of raw umber and burnt umber. Sealed with Alclad Klear Kote Flat ALC 314. The chips were made with a sponge and MM Panzer Gray. Thanks for look and please let me know what needs perfected for the next of many more armor builds ;D

PzIIGTamiyaDAK1-35Completed001.jpg

PzIIGTamiyaDAK1-35Completed002.jpg

PzIIGTamiyaDAK1-35Completed003.jpg

PzIIGTamiyaDAK1-35Completed004.jpg

PzIIGTamiyaDAK1-35Completed005.jpg

PzIIGTamiyaDAK1-35Completed006.jpg

PzIIGTamiyaDAK1-35Completed007.jpg

PzIIGTamiyaDAK1-35Completed008.jpg

PzIIGTamiyaDAK1-35Completed009.jpg

PzIIGTamiyaDAK1-35Completed010.jpg

I forgot one detail, I need to go back and highlight the guide horns on the tracks.

Looks really good for a first one Roy . Just a couple of small things to mention ...you did ask ;D

Dont highlight the outer face of the guide horns as they are not getting rubbed ,you could use a bit of graphite on the drive sprocket teeth tho' ,and wash the tracks with a rust colour .Tracks are usually raw steel so they would naturally be more of a brown/rust colour . The exhuast too would benefit from a bit of light rust pigment to add a bit more life to it ;) Not trying to critique ,just offering advice . :)

But the whole thing like I said ...Is really well done .

Chris.

Wow looks really good mate, you should be proud of that little tank.

TTFN Matt

Thank you Jim.

Chris, thanks for the tips. My thinking was that in N. Africa there's not a bunch of rust. But I understand the track thing. My next one will show more rust on the tracks. I do plan to take your suggestions and apply them to this tank. Thank you very much for your input.

Thanks Matt. I am proud of this little guy. I can only go up from here ;D

No worries Roy ,as I say mate ,Im not trying to knock it ..just help .

As for not rusting in the Desert ..that is a popular misconception ,there is in fact Lots of rust in the desert . What happens is ...Sand takes paint off very quickly and with hot temps during the day and very cold nights you can get condensation ...leading to rust on exposed metal ;) Dak vehicles do get pretty well beat up due to extreme conditions .

Chris.

The idea that things don't rust in the desert is a common misconception. Things rust anywhere. They get covered in mud too once in a while.

makes perfect sense. And to think I lived in the high desert for years. I plan to build more North Africa vehicles, a M3 Lee, DAK half track and a Pz. III.

Like Chris said the idea that things don't rust in the desert is a common misconception. Things rust anywhere. They even get covered in mud too once in a while.

ya the tracks would look pretty much teh part with a rusty wash and the hight point polished from the sand.

ROY ,

Great job on your 1st. piece of Armor in a while !! It really is a very clean build & nice lookin paint !!

For Future builds :

Perhaps a little dusting of Pigments before finalizing , perhaps a dusting of pigments ( pastel chalk in lue of that ) .

Maybe a bit more wear & tear on the parts that would see a lot of traffic by the crews .

Other than that ... I think you nailed it & I really dig th colors scheme - Spot-On !!

Welcome to the Darkside !!

Thanks Panzerace. I do plan on taking the suggestions and adding to this build. I just wanted to finish one, you know who that goes. I just so happen to have the newer Tamiya 1/35 Pz. II from the French campaign. My goal is to take what I have learned and add it to the next build.

I have two builds to finish up; the Sheridan and a Pz. Ib.

hello wyoroy
im doing this model at the mo and in this colour and if mine comes half as good as this i would be chuffed keep up the good work

geegad

Geegad, thank you very much for the kind words. I'm taking the suggestions I got from the others and apling them to the finsihed model. Look forward to see your's.

Latest posts

Back