Colors for wood crate

sunsanvil

What would be some paint suggestions for a well worn wooden crate? I tried a base of beige-brown with a wash of Vallejo's (semi transparent) "Woodgrain" but it looks much to much like fine stained mahogany. :)

If you search for images - I think you'll find that well worn / weathered wood isn't brown, it's more grey than anything. Obviously, depends on any finish protection it has and environment etc.

I found that a grey brown wash with some lighter grey drybrushing worked well for some crates i made from balsa at 28mm scale.
8)

Hmm, that's a good question. Ken basecoats in yellow then uses burnt umber oil - drags it over the basecoat.

But this is newer, brown wood. I'm wondering if you used grey oil paint...but the basecoat would have to change too.

Not much help, I know.

Yeah the thing we did back then in the video was for like tool handles on armor and other stained/varnished items.

Similar to what Todd mentioned I would probably start with a mid grey base color, then a very dark (maybe even black) wash for all the nooks and crannies, and then a much lighter highlighting color,almost white even, for the high points. Dry brushing would work well on textured objects, stippling for very flat/smooth objects.

Thanks guys. I just tried a base of German Camo Beige (Vallejo) followed by a wash of sepia and black (so a very very dark sepia) and it looks pretty good, like the boards at bottom left of that last photo.

Latest posts

Back