CodeMaster's FM-MF 1:72 (WIP)

CodeMaster

Once Code Master, always Code Master
I've had this kit for a few years now, and have been putting off building this as I wanted to wait until my skills were (in my opinion) good enough to do this kit justice. Then the group build started, and I didn't want to be the only one with a Mill. Falcon kit who wasn't participating and decided that if I wait until I think my skills are good enough, I'll never get to build this. So I have finally gotten started on my entry for this group build (better late than never, right?).

For the last week or so, I've been concentrating on getting the cockpit completed. Using some of the resources made available on this forum, I printed off the back and side panel graphics onto transparent sheets, painted the back of the sheets white and glued them to EL sheets for illumination.

For the effect I wanted, I have had to turn to one of my other loves/hobbies: electronics and micro-controller programming. I wired it up a 4 LED circuit and wrote a small program to allow a 12F629 PIC chip to pseudo-randomly flash the LED's. I attached the LEDs to fiber optic strands and put the strands through holes drilled in the back panel graphic and EL sheet. You can't really tell from the photos, but the LEDs each flash independently of the others. One thing I want to do is play with the timing a bit to see if I can increase the duty cycle that the LEDs are illuminated for without really effecting the randomization too much.

Cockpit panel

Overhead Panels - Unpowered

Overhead Panels - Powered

Cockpit side panel

Fiber Optic Indicators

Cockpit back panel - Powered

Indicator random flash circuit

I've also started working on the turret wells:
Turret well

Turret well

That's all for now. Thanks for stopping by.

nice work!

My biggest regret is gluing the turret window on and not properly doing the inside. I didn't even think about lighting that at the time

Thanks for the encouragement!

Last night I did the final version of the circuit for the cockpit area, and noticed during assembly that I need to thin down the backstop (for lack of a better word) plastic within the "neck" of the cockpit entry tube. The EL sheet and transparency are just a bit too think to allow proper seating against the stop piece. I'm hoping to have more photos of the completed cockpit section later today.

It's been a while since I've added an update to this build, so I thought I would post what I have so far.

I haven't had as much time to work on the kit in the last while due to work and other project deadlines, so I've just started on the main hull details.

I'm still thinking I need to go back and do some more touch up work on the landing struts. Specifically I think I need to fill the gap on the baffle where the edge piece meets the top section. I didn't really notice how bad it was until I had taken the photos.

Thanks for looking, and let me know what you think thus far.

Main Landing Strut Assembly
Landing Strut Foot Actuators
Landing Strut
Landing Strut Foot
Landing Strut Assembly - (mostly)Final
Upper Hull - Mandible Center Area

Is the baffle you're talking about the round piece with the flared bottom? Looks like a piece of PE; is it?
Are the pistons for the struts aluminum tubing with the kit, your own mod, or is it styrene wrapped in foil?
Sorry for all the questions, but I pre-ordered one of the re-released FM 1/72 kits, and I'm wondering what I'll be getting myself into.
Thanks, and keep up the good work, CodeMaster!

Your cockpit will look amazing. Nice work. :eek:

NecronautDrummer:
You are correct, the baffle is the round piece with the flared bottom, and is indeed photoetch. I bought the FM Falcon PE Landing Gear Baffle Detail Set by Millenia Models International through the SSM store site (http://starshipmodeler.biz/shop/index.cfm/product/776_42/fm-falcon-pe-landing-gear-baffle-detail-set.cfm) The pistons for the struts are just the regular kit piece that I wrapped in Bare Metal Foil and polished up a bit with a Q-tip. I had to cut off the positioning tab on the strut piece to fit the PE baffle set, but I checked with the kit baffle part and it would have fit the strut without modifications.

I hadn't realized how long it's been since I posted an update to this WIP post. I've been super busy with work and personal life (But who hasn't), and the Falcon has suffered as a result. I've been really working my butt off for the last few weeks on getting some lighting done, and have now completed the engine sub-assembly and am returning to the remaining build of the kit. When I have everythng ready to go, I'm going to be adding landing and clearance lights to the model, and will post an update when I have that done. Hopefully that won't take me another three months.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should use to mask the LEDs on the hull when I start painting the model? I was thinking of using liquid mask, but I'm not sure how that will work with the arylic paints I plan on using for the ship?

Anyway, on to the photos, and thanks for looking:

Upper hull

Engine cooling vents

Lower hull

Millennium falcon engines wiring

Engines on in lighted room

Engines lit up, with no ambient light

Thanks for the feedback. I've started working on the landing lights last night, and will provide more photos when I have the remaining circuits for that completed (hopefully by the end of the weekend)

merseajohn said:
8) 8) man thats a lot of LED's! and maskol should work fine. ;D

Good to know about the maskol, I have a bottle of micro mask, is that the same type of thing? My LHS has very limited selection for finishing products, etc.

Latest posts

Back