Cleaning Brushes??

Unreality

or Jonathan if you prefer
So I bit the bullet and bought some high-quality brushes from Blick Arts. Usually I have a container of water with a little Windex to wash out brushes, but my cheapies die fast (probably because they are cheap). What do the rest of you do for cleaning/caring for your brushes?

I mostly brush paint with Vallejo, and honestly I just have an artist brush well/brush basin with normal tap water in it to clean out my brushes.

Personally I use distilled water for 1st rinse and after session rinse then clean with Monalisa Pink soap,you could also use soap for babies, has less chemicals in them..When you spend $50.00 for a brush you want it to last...Any art supply will sell brush cleaners but it's relly personal preference to what one does. Some do and some don't..Do what works for you....But keep in mind that a brush is only as good as the paint and the user..The better you get and the more you do you will develop your own practices...
thanx

Completely agree on the skill of the user. I know my brushes won't make me a magic painter, but I did want to see if there was a difference. Thanks guys for the tips.

Master's brush cleaner is really good, comes in a small jar and its like soap, seems to condition the brushes very well and clean them.

Cave_Dweller said:
Master's brush cleaner is really good, comes in a small jar and its like soap, seems to condition the brushes very well and clean them.

Just started using it. Amazing stuff. I'm not usually great on brushes, so this stuff is worth the couple bucks to be sure.

I use the same liquids I use to thin the paints. For acrylics, I will use water or isopropyl. For enamels and oils, I will use mineral spirits or lacquer thinner. I dip the brush in the liquid, tap it against the side of the jar, and then draw the brush across a paper towel. I repeat this, till the bristles are clean.

If the nub or root of the brush gets clogged, I've also user SuperClean, in place of the other liquids.

After cleaning the brush, I will shape the bristles to preserve the shape. Then I place them in my holders, upright, and let them air-dry. For holders, I have a wooden block with holes drilled in it, and an old ceramic toothbrush caddy.

I have not noticed any issue with the bristles and the potential harshness of some of these liquids. I have noticed, however, definite issues with the make of the brush. We all understand that good brushes are more expensive up front, but that it's a cost amortized over time, because quality brushes last a long time. But I've found that some brands made in the PRC, while using sable bristles, have tended to curl, right out of the package, rendering them useless. It pays to stick with the well-known brands.

Latest posts

Back