Classic Uber Detailed MPC R2-D2/C-3PO Entry

LrdSatyr8

Ok all... I couldn't get the Ecto-1 finished in time so I submit this into the All Open catagory. It's the original R2 and 3PO MPC kits built onto a single base. The key factor here was that no one thought you could fit all the lighting electronics up under the head dome of R2, but I did it with just barely enough room to spare. Everything remains the same on the R2 kit. All his doors (front and back open), I scratch built a Grabber Arm instead of the pitiful excuse for an arm in the kit, his third leg can be positioned down or up in the body completely. His head rotates 360 degrees, and all his logic lights and holo/mood lights light up in a semi-random pattern in the proper colors of red/green/blue/white. 3PO's Eyes will light up but that's about all he does, however I did spend a long time completely covering him in gold leaf foil to give him that extra shine. I did have a sound chip inside the R2 that when activated made him do his recognizable chirping, but alas during the build the speaker wire came loose from the board and to fix it would have required pulling him completely apart and starting over, so even thou its in there, it don't work. Some of the uber detailing includes the switch and jack on the underskirting, repositioning the dome panels, as well as added a few odds and ends that just were never fixed on the MPC. Some of you may remember the build from here as I worked on them. I did a complete build log here:

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/index.php/topic,8017.0.html

And you can see the entire build process that I went thru. I custom made several peices for 3PO including both hands, his head antenna, and the bump on the back of his head. The custom pieces I made for R2 include the grabber arm, the hoses and the electronic circuit board that drives his lights. Here are a few pics of the completed kit on a custom base (I went with the Empire Strikes Back look) followed by a short video describing all the features I incorperated into the kit.

And here's the video of the completed kit:

R2-D2 and C-3PO Complete

I hope you all enjoy my entry and thank you for running such a wonderful contest. Perhaps next year I'll be more prepared ahead of time!

Hey did J.J. Abrams take those pix?
I see a lot of lens flare. ;)
But seriously folks,
looks GREAT
;D ;D ;D

ModelMakerMike said:
Hey did J.J. Abrams take those pix?
I see a lot of lens flare. ;)
But seriously folks,
looks GREAT ;D ;D ;D

I know right! JJ has a flare for lens flares... don't know why. I think it might have something to do with Andrew Kramer, but I could just be guessing! Thanks for the love bro!

"Look sir droids"...very nice diorama and great job on the build. Nice scratch building detail as well for both R2 and 3P0.

Tanker52 said:
"Look sir droids"...very nice diorama and great job on the build. Nice scratch building detail as well for both R2 and 3P0.
Thank you so much... was a complete labor of love and a heavy dose of OCD! :)

That's very cool You''re entering this build for the all-open. I've enjoyed a ton following your WIP on this a while back, and refreshing highly good impression of this vignette seeing it now is great. You've done a rarkable job on it overall, and I was and am especially impressed with how You've dealt with R2's logic panel. I really hope You would be awarded for this entry - that is definitely going to be well-deserved.

Solander said:
That's very cool You''re entering this build for the all-open. I've enjoyed a ton following your WIP on this a while back, and refreshing highly good impression of this vignette seeing it now is great. You've done a rarkable job on it overall, and I was and am especially impressed with how You've dealt with R2's logic panel. I really hope You would be awarded for this entry - that is definitely going to be well-deserved.

Thank you very much... you just gave me the warm fuzzies all over! :)

I did find a few of the original final images I took... not sure just how much better they are then the ones above but here they are:

r2-complete.jpg

r2-comp2.jpg

r2-comp3.jpg

Looks great to me! Good luck Bro!!! ;D

P.S. Sorry about the Ecto. I still want to see her finished in the future.

CTspeedshop said:
Looks great to me! Good luck Bro!!! ;D

P.S. Sorry about the Ecto. I still want to see her finished in the future.

Thanks bro... I wish I could have finished her too... between relying too much on the printing side and some life issues that sprung up, it just wasn't meant to be at this time, but I definately plan on finishing her as soon as I can get the money together!

Latest posts

Back