Chipping effects on war birds

alfonso

I'm new to the hobby and absorbing info as I go. Working on my third war bird Tamiya 1:48 scale Wildcat. Previous to that Corsair and Bf 109. I experimented with salt chipping on the Corsair and I think it came out pretty good. I want to try out another chipping effect on the Wildcat though. I've seen guys use silver pencils and tap away but is there a product or technique that works better. I've also tried dry brushing but find that it is too much for exterior chipping effects. I prefer subtle to excess. I still like to build like the birds have been in combat and not just rolled out of the factory. As a WWII history buff I notice that much of the chipping occurs at the wing roots and on raised ridges and in areas in which ground crew are doing a lot of opening and closing and maintenance. Is there a video or 2 you can recommend. ;D

Thanks.

have you tried the hairspray technique, if you haven't let me explain, first paint rust, aluminum or what ever you want, then spray on regular hair spray, then paint the color it should be, the hair spray will protect the rust or aluminum from the next step, the next step can be done many ways, the easiest way is take an old paint brush soak it in the thinner for the paint you used, then run the paint off, the other easy way to do it is to take a tooth pick and cut it at steep angle the spray or wipe on some water wait a few seconds the take the toothpick and start scratching away at the paint, to explain the method in a simply tutorial watch scalemodelmedic do it

Hairspray Technique

cool vid one question as I haven't done that method and he didn't mention but I am guessing you let the coat over the hairspray dry completely before chipping. I wasn't fully sure on that part

Latest posts

Back