CF-104D Starfighter in 1/48, HAsegawa kit with Leading Edge decals

Carsenault

I started this kit to give me something to do until my replacement Mustang landing gear arrived. Sorry I didnt take any pictures earlier on. The kit is the Hasegawa 1/48 F-104DJ, to which I've added Aires Lockheed C2 ejection seats and Leading Edge decals. I've always loved the way the CF-104s look in the natural metal finish, really shows off the great lines of Kelly Johnson's design.

The natural metal finish is Alclad II metallics, various shades of aluminium, plus chrome and jet exhaust. In hindsite, I wish I used regular aluminium for the overall shade instead of the polished aluminium. I finished painting the detail colors earlier today. Getting anxious to start some decals now.

051_zps0dcbffc8.jpg

052_zpsc1d329ac.jpg

053_zpsfd321a17.jpg

054_zps5681e583.jpg

055_zps4b3eb962.jpg

056_zps4a246a0b.jpg

057_zps71995060.jpg

058_zps05f99180.jpg

That looks awesome so far! I love the designs of the Nam era jets. Even the ones designed in the 50s. Looking forward to seeing this one finished!

She looks pretty good so far, gotta love Alclad. Always liked the 104, was like a rocket with wings.

The polished aluminum looks great. Yeah, you think the regular would have been better? She looks cool like this.

Very cool spent meny a day watching these things land in Halifax. seeing that makes me want to get one again can't wait to see it done.

Thank you very much guys... Im learning as I go along, only my second aircraft painted mainly with Alclad. Its great stuff, Ill have to buy a few more bottles now, Im hooked.

arohk said:
Very cool spent meny a day watching these things land in Halifax. seeing that makes me want to get one again can't wait to see it done.

Cool, Are you still in Halifax? I've only ever got the chance to see one of those in flight, it was at an airshow in Moncton in the late 70's, back before the banned supersonic flight over populated areas. The pilot did a sneak pass coming in from behind the crowd at pretty close to Mach 1. ;D
Im sure there were many shorts changed that day. We did get to see many Voodoos though, they'd come into our airport from time to time.

Got the decals put one, not many to place with this scheme, unlike the stencil laden fast jets we have now. All decals were put on in one sitting. They went down beautifully using only a bit of Microsol and Microset. The rest of the assembly should be straightforward, gonna try and wrap it up tomorrow or Tuesday.

004_zps769d381e.jpg

003_zpsb7b8cfe4.jpg

002_zps70af7b37.jpg

001_zps2aef19a4.jpg

arohk said:

Cool, Are you still in Halifax? I've only ever got the chance to see one of those in flight, it was at an airshow in Moncton in the late 70's, back before the banned supersonic flight over populated areas. The pilot did a sneak pass coming in from behind the crowd at pretty close to Mach 1. ;D
Im sure there were many shorts changed that day. We did get to see many Voodoos though, they'd come into our airport from time to time.

No I am on the west coast now in B.C. when I lived in back east my parents house was right on the final aproach to Shearwater AFB so I could just sit on the back porch and watch all the military aircraft come right past the back yard it was great I also served in the air cadets at CFB Shearwhater so I got to see the insides of pretty much all the military aircraft Canada owned.

Got the decals put one, not many to place with this scheme, unlike the stencil laden fast jets we have now. All decals were put on in one sitting. They went down beautifully using only a bit of Microsol and Microset. The rest of the assembly should be straightforward, gonna try and wrap it up tomorrow or Tuesday.

004_zps769d381e.jpg

003_zpsb7b8cfe4.jpg

002_zps70af7b37.jpg

001_zps2aef19a4.jpg
[/quote]

Coolest paint scheme I've seen this year. That is awesome with the white wings. The contrast is so cool.
Nice work on that metal finish too. That is no easy task.

Lord that's pretty. I need to try my hand at one of these. The chopper in the background looks mighty sweet too.

:eek: :eek: :eek: shinny !! that turned out beautifully, i really like the paint scheme !!
great job !

One of my favorite fighter jets. It's known as a missile with a cockpit. Saw one at an airshow years ago. Frightening sound it makes. It howls.

dkev said:
One of my favorite fighter jets. It's known as a missile with a cockpit. Saw one at an airshow years ago. Frightening sound it makes. It howls.

Heard one of these once, at almost mach 1, my ears have been ringing ever since. Now can you imagine the F-4 Phantoms, they had 2 of these engines practically strapped together... or even the B-58 Hustler which had 4!!!!

Latest posts

Back