CAMS 2011 tomorrow!

Yes....midnight here, will be at the center in 8hrs, and just finished the Zero.....nothing like cutting it close! Not my best work, but it will do. Should enter it in the All Open category for SMA!

Pics are on my camera, will get to them sometime this week, post here once they are up.

Our very own Sunsanvil (Brian Florian) won a very deserved (and I wish I had of taken a picture of the look on his face when he found out) Best in Show for a Gundam MG Sniper.

Congrats!! Pics to follow once I get them uploaded!

When I saw those Gundam kits, I knew they deserved to win something good. I did not think that would have been taken seriously for Best of Show. Nobody ever takes Gundam kits seriously at shows...

Man, it was awesome to see they did yesterday! 8)

Congratulations Brian! That was some excellent work! Sieg Zeon! ;) 8)

And that is the beauty of the way our judging system works, everything has a shot, and is only judged against itself, and not against any other kit.

Fact of the matter is, Brian's Sniper was the the one that got the highest score, wouldn't have mattered if it was a car, tank, aircraft, or what. In fact looking at the Best In Show plaque that I keep here at the show, the ones that have won best in show over the last few years.....

2011 - Gundam Sniper (sorry no pic yet)

2010 - 1/32 CF-18
IMG_9831-vi.jpg

2009 - Red Bird
IMG_4352-vi.jpg

2008 - German Officer
IMG_1414-vi.jpg

2007 - Truck
SteveKnoxBestChevKit-vi.jpg

2006 - Sub
BestinShow1-vi.jpg

2005 - Vignette
McNuttTrphywinnerMikeJohnston-vi.jpg

2004 - Aircraft
1141451_IMG-vi.jpg

2003 - Was a car...I know who won, just not sure for what car.

So as you can see....there is no preference as to what wins Best In Show, simply the one that scores the highest on that given day.

Basically the way we work, all kits start out with 30points, and points are taken away for flaws, the score you are left with is your score. Just happened that Brian's had the least amount taken away (none in fact, perfect 30 score! Congrats!!).

I think Brian is still in shock a bit! LOL

I know what Brian is feeling, takes a while to sink in. Even then it still a shock. WTG! Wish I could have been there this year, but Ill be there next year for sure.

I missed it. Sucky. I am overwhelmed with work and simply could not get there.

Congratulations Brian!!! That is AWESOME man. So cool.

Elm City Hobbies said:
...and I wish I had of taken a picture of the look on his face when he found out...

Yea that would have been interesting... with the caption "flabbergasted".

Seriously though, I don't know if it was more my name being called, or it being called for a mobile suit. Either way I'm humbly honored. There was so much good stuff this year, especially in aircraft (as evidenced by the shortage of Gold medals).

sunsanvil said:
Elm City Hobbies said:
...and I wish I had of taken a picture of the look on his face when he found out...

Yea that would have been interesting... with the caption "flabbergasted".

Seriously though, I don't know if it was more my name being called, or it being called for a mobile suit. Either way I'm humbly honored. There was so much good stuff this year, especially in aircraft (as evidenced by the shortage of Gold medals).

Beautiful work. Well deserved congratultions! 8)
I kept telling my buddy, (who isn't a mecha head) those were some fine kits, and that I hoped I'd do some of my mobile suit kits that sort of justice.

Btw, do you know how cool it is to hear it called a mobile suit instead of robot or mecha? ;D

Congrats Brian!
I saw your entry and it was flawless! Well done!

-my Yammie was on the table behind your Gundam....this look familiar? ;)

IMG_0522.jpg

I think I have a pic of your winner somewhere, I will look.

Congrats again, you should be very proud! -Tim

ComfortablyNumb said:
Congrats Brian! I saw your entry and it was flawless! Well done! I was on the table behind your Gundam....this look familiar? ;)

IMG_0522.jpg

I think I have a pic of your winner somewhere, I will look.

Congrats again, you should be very proud! -Tim

Your pic doesn't really do that justice. That is a gorgeous Yamato. I loved the catapults and recovery crane with the Jakes and Petes.

How about a picture of the winning Gundam!
How about a picture of the winning Gundam![/quote]

Scott's DSLRs from the show are bound be sharper, but I've posted it over in Sci-Fi.

Btw, do you know how cool it is to hear it called a mobile suit instead of robot or mecha?
Ha! I'm still trying to get my wife to understand how "... a Gundam is a mobile suit, but not every mobile suit is a Gundam." LOL.

-my Yammie was on the table behind your Gundam....this look familiar?
Absolutely! I spent more than a few minutes looking over it I can tell you. PE work off the hook!

WOW !! SUNS ,

Awesome Job !!! Especially because it's a Gundam. I personally don't see them enough ( in shows) around My neck of th woods - Virginia , USA.

I'm lookin forward to th picks !!

The Judging System that you guys have there is a Lot like the way AMPS judging goes down. People don't compete against each other ( until th Final round for stuff like Best of's ) it's all criteria based. Which I think is th Best way to go. It keeps everyone interested + the AMPS judges fill out sheets leaving comments on what was deducted to let th Modeler know what he may want to pay attention to or change for th next time around.

I'm lookin forward to th pix !!! Again Great Job Suns !!!!

Latest posts

Back