Camera for SMA

Fett2303

My backpacks got jets!
Always seems like Scott is having camera issues (hahah :p). I love this show and wish that some big time network (maybe like Discovery Channel) or something would pick up a modeling show like SMA. Until then, anyone want to donate some funds to get SMA a good camera for the shows Scott makes. I would be willing to donate. I'm sure if people sent a few dollars, not much, then we could all get Scott something descent to work with for these great shows. Keep up the great shows Scott....Live long and prosper SMA.

HAHA! That's a good idea! Maybe he'll start uploading HD stuff! ;) Scott, throw up a paypal donation button. Maybe we get raise some money to get ya a better cam! :)

Check out the shop...at the bottom. There's been a donate button there for months.

BTW: I actually emailed Canon Canada this week to ask them if they want to partner with SMA. I really, really, really need to get a camera that allows straight digital capture. I'm using an older tape based cam, and I have to capture everything in real time. Each episode takes me at least 2 hours to capture stuff. Tooooo long.

But wow, thanks for thinking about me like this. I appreciate the sentiment. I really need better lighting too. I have been trying some stuff for the upcoming video - we'll talk about it in the show. I'll show my setup and then you can all offer suggestions.

Cool. You guys are the best.

Scott Girvan said:
BTW: I actually emailed Canon Canada this week to ask them if they want to partner with SMA. I really, really, really need to get a camera that allows straight digital capture. I'm using an older tape based cam, and I have to capture everything in real time. Each episode takes me at least 2 hours to capture stuff. Tooooo long.

OMG. I'd go crazy. OK. time to call in some donations!

Wow man. Thank you. Ok, so guys, I"ll throw some in to...for sure. Any recommendations for a good HDD Camera?

Honestly, I didn't see this one coming. Insane. Thank you. Wow. Ok, I'll stop. Amazing. Thank you.

Scott Girvan said:
Wow man. Thank you. Ok, so guys, I"ll throw some in to...for sure. Any recommendations for a good HDD Camera?

Honestly, I didn't see this one coming. Insane. Thank you. Wow. Ok, I'll stop. Amazing. Thank you.

It's HD camera, not HDD. HD = High Definition. HDD is Hard Disk Drive and yeh there's a difference which I ALMOST found out the hard way until someone at the electronic store here pointed it out (surprised I got someone who works there that knew what the were talking about).

There are a slew of standard definition with HDD built in so you don't have to rely on a flash card. So you want an HD camera and maybe on with an HDD. :)

I'm saving up for one as well... I was looking for something that can:
Record at least 1280x720 HD
A microphone jack for zoom mic
High Optical Zooming (So I can zoom in without loosing quality when I'm working on small pieces I wanna show)
Good shooing even if not in optimal lighting
Supports SDHC (class 4 or better) flash cards (Don't want to get stuck with proprietary crap)
Budget around $500 to $600

I did as much research that I can find and ended up pointing at the Sony Handicams. Starts at $479. I'm shooting for the HD 120g HDD one ($599.99) so I don't have to rely on flash cards unless I'm out and about filming on the Golf Course and hobby cons.

It doesn't have a mic jack but has a zoom mic built in which I read work quite well.

There are two modes... the CX and the XR. The XR beiing the higher model. The best CX (the 160g) is built with the XR architecture. I like the HD 120g HDD because it hits 25x optical zoom instead of 12x on the higher models. The higher models films at 2650K Pixels in wide screen and the CX at 1180K Pixels but since I'm filming mostly for YT, it won't matter.

Sony Handicam list: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10151&Ns=Prod.Price.SS|0&catalogId=10551&N=4294966231&categoryId=3556&viewTaskName=CategoryDisplayView

The HD 120GB HDD Camcorder (HDR-XR150): http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666073287

Yikes.
But, Scott?
Next payday, I'll get something in the kitty for you.
Even my $99 Samsung will go straight to digital.
(Granted, it'll only do video at 640x480, but I'm just starting to do video.)

I bought a Sony HDR-CX150 about 4 months ago. Before that I had one of the pocket cams. (It was a 720P pocket cam, but it just didn't do that good of a job. But if anyone wants a pocket cam I will sell it really cheap!! Creative Vado, just message me.) It does not have a hard drive, but has 16G of internal memory allowing for about an hour and a half of recording, and it does have a memory slot for more storage. I don't know if I will ever get that extra memory card. The battery won't last through more than an hour or two of video, so I don't see the point. It has performed quite well for me, and is rather small. I think I paid $450 for it when I bought it. (It was on sale.)

I will answer any questions anyone might have about the camera, just ask.

While we are talking about camera, everyone has seen my shoddy photographs. Most of that is camera related as I have asked a high school friend (now a college photgraphy professor and professional wilderness photographer) what the hell I was doing wrong, first was using the wrong camera. So I am up for suggestions for something less than $400 fairly rugged and capable of recording video through my helmet cam. (I have the 560 line helmet cam) As for donations, I am in as soon as I can budget for it.

Grendels said:
I bought a Sony HDR-CX150 about 4 months ago. Before that I had one of the pocket cams. (It was a 720P pocket cam, but it just didn't do that good of a job. But if anyone wants a pocket cam I will sell it really cheap!! Creative Vado, just message me.) It does not have a hard drive, but has 16G of internal memory allowing for about an hour and a half of recording, and it does have a memory slot for more storage. I don't know if I will ever get that extra memory card. The battery won't last through more than an hour or two of video, so I don't see the point. It has performed quite well for me, and is rather small. I think I paid $450 for it when I bought it. (It was on sale.)

I will answer any questions anyone might have about the camera, just ask.

Did you record your latest shows with it?

Awsome!! I'm happy about the response on the post. My donation is in as well Scott. Keep up the awsomeness. By the way the Handi cam is the new-hotness. I was looking at getting the same cam. Might want to look into that. as for lighting, you got me. I know ol' Modelman Tom is in to that thing. Might want to give him a shout about some cheap lighting ideas.

Is the donate button broken? went to the shop page, went to bottom, clicked, and it brings up a pick of the tip jar. Anything special i need to click

Tried that. I click on the word Donate in yellow and brings up a pic of the tip jar. Maybe its my computer. Ill try again in a few see if its me.

AH. got it. Had to use firefox rather than internet explorer. Worked great. $20.00 USD your way for a new cam. Make it count. That money was for my next build hahaha.

Latest posts

Back