Builing Italeri's PT 109: The Last Night

TRM

Hello SMA!!

I figured I would get this blog started as I am not only getting close to actually seeing the top of my bench from some left over items from last year, I am going through some withdrawals as I have not glued any thing together for a while.

First, I have just recently finished a video as well as a written review for Model Shipwrights (Kit Maker Network) of this fine kit and I plan on bringing her to the bench now to build her and of course it will be fun to share the build along with you all.

Second, If you wish to check out the review you can follow this link to the video: PT 109 Video Review

or you can follow this link to the written review: PT 109 Box Review

And finally.......

The Box:

11.jpg

Most of us already know the collective story behind the last patrol of the PT 109 commanded by future President of the USA, John F. Kennedy and the sinking of the PT 109 and the death of two US Sailors. This build will focus on the time of the PT 109 and how she looked just prior to that sinking. She was a well used battle hardened Patrol Torpedo Boat. It may seem a bit cliche' to make the 109, understandably, however it is an Iconic boat and have yet to construct one myself......let's see where that leads us.

A few Plastic shots:

155.jpg

156.jpg

160.jpg

As I mention in the review, this is an exceptionally clean kit. As I go through the build, I will make note of any issues I come across that may have not been brought up in both my reviews of this kit.

170.jpg

178.jpg

188.jpg

A little bit of firepower.... two twin .50 Cal. mounts

196.jpg

One 20mm AA gun...

184.jpg

And besides the 4 torpedoes and the depth charges....a 37mm Anti-tank cannon strapped to the bow by the crew....

199.jpg

These are certainly not all the parts within this kit. I do show the complete contents on my reviews if you wish to see. But these are a great representation of what is included.

So, I hope to sit down for a few minutes and start gluing this weekend and moving forward on this project but I will not be rushing things. The whole Idea is to have some fun and build up a nice kit.

As part of the research I have obtained the Squadron/Signal Publications book PT Boats in action Actually from and by the Author and Naval Historian, T. Garth Connelly. After speaking with Mr. Connnelly about the book, I purchased one for the reading enjoyment of course as well as the research and he was kind enough to sign the copy for me too. Packed with information on the front to back career of the PT Boats there are loads of great detail shots inside and out of these beauties. I try to gain as much information on a subject prior to the build and this book sum the majority of that up for me.

00224283_medium.jpeg

And that is that for the moment. I will be back soon as I pop the top of the box and toss some glue inside, hoping some of you can follow along with me on this one. Thanks for stopping by!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thanks fellas!! I always enjoy good company on a road trip....in this case I guess a boat trip!! ;)

Hmmm,

I feel like I've seen this recently... ;D T, you know I'm looking forward to your work!

Thanks Adam!! Always a pleasure to have you along for the ride!!! ;)

This should be cool all weathered up and such. What a treat it must be for you to build a 1/35 boat. I've seen some of these built and they do look pretty sharp.

This should make for a great build,

im little unclear to the story of PT 109's sinking weren't they rammed by a destroyer on a night raid ?

i may be wrong there,

looking forward to more updates,

cheers,

shane.

This should be a good one to follow! Have enjoyed and appreciated your work before...I know I'll pick up some new tricks watching this one come along.
I can already feel the tropic heat and smell the salt air...

noname said:
This should be cool all weathered up and such. What a treat it must be for you to build a 1/35 boat. I've seen some of these built and they do look pretty sharp.

Thanks for stopping in Matt! Well, no shifting gears as I am coming off a couple 1/35 scale jobbies but it is nice to be back at a floater. I agree too, there are some fine builds of these big ones!!

longlance67 said:
This should make for a great build,

im little unclear to the story of PT 109's sinking weren't they rammed by a destroyer on a night raid ?

i may be wrong there,

looking forward to more updates,

cheers,

shane.

Thanks for joining the party Shane! You are correct. The 109 was one patrol with other boats and running silent she couldn't even here the IJN Destroyer before it was too late. Two sailors died 11 swam to a near by island...3 miles away..LOL and then onto another island as there was no water on the first. after JFK is smuggled off the island by Native Coastal Patrol he sent out a message written on a coconut with the Natives...six days on the island and they were rescued another PT...this was the abridged version. There are conflicting reports and conflicting opinions over the entire disaster, not getting into those ::)

Dagger6actual said:
This should be a good one to follow! Have enjoyed and appreciated your work before...I know I'll pick up some new tricks watching this one come along.
I can already feel the tropic heat and smell the salt air...

Thanks for the kind words there Dagger!~ Appreciate you following along! You set a nice mental image to the build now with the small of the tropics in the air!! ;)

OK...a little update on the 'big tub'.

I managed to sand down the entire entire outside deck rib flush to the deck.

PT1091001.jpg

The old cordless Dremel helped out a bit to make light work of this. After power sanding there was a little smoothing out to do. Time to Spackle the deck...well, Tamiya White that is.

PT1091004.jpg

While waiting for the white stuff to dry a little, I went after drilling out all the mounting holes that are half drilled out from the backside...oh, they are numbered too, so I don't screw up and drill out the wrong ones!

PT1091006.jpg

So after some sanding I test fit the deck to the hull. This deck is secured with the provided mounting fasteners. There is a small cap that need to be place on top of the screw. This will be done, but there are a couple of square holes that need cutting out and then filing first.

PT1001.jpg

PT1006.jpg

PT1005.jpg

So back to the bench to finish the square openings and then double check the instructions to make sure I need not keep the deck off and I will move forward and screwing and gluing the deck down!!

Thanks for tuning in!!!

No, I don't think so John!! ::) But, being a boat and the size you could pop Han and a couple of his friends in there in case the shed leaks again :eek: Thanks for hanging out on this bud! ;)

Looking really good T! But I gotta ask, are you going to float test this one? The reason I ask is cuz the thing is so darn big you might have to find something bigger than a bath tub. haha

LOL...I will have to dig up some rubber gaskets for the 3 shafts. ;D ;D ;D ;D I have an in-ground pool!! ::) All set!!

T- Nice progress on the boat and thanks for filling me in on the background of the boat its very interesting and adds a lot to the character of the build, looking forward to seeing more of this cracking model take shape,

cheers,

shane.

Latest posts

Back