BSC 1/48 Harrier.

Aeroteto

This is my first enter to BSC ever.
It will be a MARINE Harrier.
I´ll start the build, in a couple of weeks, cos I need to finish a Mig21 first.
I´m not very good modeler.
So all the input from your expertise will be appreciated.
This is my kit, and date proof:

BSC009.jpg

Finishing off an Airfix 1/72 Falklands-era Harrier myself. FSM has a nice article on accurizing Hasegawa kit British GR7/GR9 Harriers this month too. Might be worth a look!

Also, check out http://www.harriersig.org.uk/ for rivet-counting tips on accurizing a Harrier. Lots of fix lists and color charts for various kits and versions of this bird.

Bad English? That's why we type. I love these Harriers and am so glad your building this. Looking forward to it.

This will be my first Harrier ever, but I love the look of this plane.
I promise not making any video in english any more ;D

cheers!

HA HA HA HA
Ok. just let me figure out how to put subtitles on those vids. ;D
but I think it´s gonna be better if I update only by pictures 8)

I have the same kit in my stash, I keep meaning to start it. I'm very much looking forward to this build!

Welcome aboard adampolo13
Almost finish my current build, so this WIP is gonna start, maybe, this weekend.
Thanks for looking ;)

I built one of the AV-8B+ kits a few years back, they build up really nice but if I remember correctly there are a few little things to watch out for. The aux air scoops near the canopy tend to interfere with its placement if you build it with the canopy open. I dont remember exactly but there was an assembly issue with the upper wing part where it meets the forward fuselage. I dont remember what I did to fix it, been about 6 years since I have built it. If you google some build reviews, you should be able to find out what and how to fix it. Also, the color call outs on my kit were incorrect. If its a 3 color camo you are doing, the darkest color should be gunship grey (fs 36118), dark gull grey (fs36231) and dark ghost grey (fs 36320) being the lightest color. Marines have since simplified the paint by eliminating the gunship grey and simply having the dark gull grey over the dark ghost grey.

Ok. time to start. 8)
I'm not good modeler, so I cheat a bit, in order to made things looks ok.
In my Country there are really master modelers, and there are some *schools*, tendencies and styles.
I can divide them in two styles, Hyperealistics and Impresionists.
They call themselves *impresionists* as they try to give the impression of things.
I like that style, cheat your eyes to convice you that a piece of plastic and paint is a plane or tank or a car.
Ok. I'm gonna follow that style in this build, and really hope you like it.

The Hasegawa Harrier is a bit more complicated than I think, due to the number of pieces.
I think it has to be takled as separated models as I advance the build.
To make things more complicated, a couple of resin sets are gonna be used.
I have the BB cockpit, but it was designed to fit in the Monogram kit, and it can be adjusted to be used in this kit, but not in conjunction with the Aires wheel bays.
I sand the resin tub to try to make them fit, but I give up.
so I decided to use the kit tub and the resin bay.

BSC002.jpg

BSC003.jpg

The front fuselage, need some little surgery, to acomodate the resin bay.
I have a couple or razors for this task, the UMM razor is my favorite, but for large pieces of resin or plastic the CmK razor works fine too.

BSC005.jpg

The BB tub is wider, taller and deeper than the kit tub, I'm thinking in made the kit tub 2mm. deeper but i'm not convinced yet.
With the razor will shave as many details I can take from the resin tub to use them in the plastic tub along with some scracht.

BSC001.jpg

The seat was separated from the pour stub, and lightly sanded on the sides to make it fit in the plastic tub.
The resin side panels have a different form than needed, so I'm planning to modify them to make them fit.
I see a lot of sanding work in my near future. :-\

BSC006.jpg

BSC004.jpg

Small update.
Just a few pieces of resin sliced from the BB tub, and a few bits of evergreen styrene.
still long way to go.

BSC012.jpg

BSC013.jpg

BSC015.jpg

Great work so far. I built Tamiya's 1/48 Harrier for last years contest. That one had lots of troubleshooting. I'm excited to watch your build. I like how you are using the resin parts to beef up the kit cockpit. Looking good.

That cockpit is looking very good, can't wait to see it painted!

Cheers!

Hey guys!
A bit late but thanks for looking ;D
I was very busy, but i manage to make a few progress.
The cockpit tub was sanded paper thin in order to acomodate the F$!%&·$·$%&% Aires front wheel bay.
It's kind of nightmare sand and aling the wheel bay.

BSC018.jpg

The cockpit pieces was completed with some resin and styrene bits, and painted acording to some photos I found in the net.

BSC021.jpg

BSC022.jpg

BSC024.jpg

BSC031.jpg

BSC032.jpg

BSC035.jpg

BSC036.jpg

BSC037.jpg

I really have no idea of what piece is what, I just follow the pictures.
the paint was doing by base painting Dark Gull Gray, then main colors, puntual wash, dry brush, puntual paint knobs, pastels, and it's done.

BSC019.jpg

BSC033.jpg

BSC040.jpg

BSC041.jpg

BSC017.jpg

BSC030.jpg

BSC038.jpg

BSC039.jpg

BSC025.jpg

BSC042.jpg

BSC043.jpg

I open the squares behind the seat.
This piece is gonna be glued late in the build.

BSC023.jpg[/

Latest posts

Back