Brush paints

barneyadi

Hi guys

What paint do people recommend for brush painting? Have Revell Aqua Colour which seems good, but any other recommendations and do i need primer, lacquer etc?

Cheers.

Dave

I recommend always using a primer on plastic prior to painting with any paint .
Do you not like the Aqua Color ?
Vallejo and Citadel seem to be favorites for brush painting .
I use the Vallejo & Mig paints successfully for brush-work .
The AK Real Colors and Mission Models paints are better suited to AB application IMO .

I recommend always using a primer on plastic prior to painting with any paint .
Do you not like the Aqua Color ?
Vallejo and Citadel seem to be favorites for brush painting .
I use the Vallejo & Mig paints successfully for brush-work .
The AK Real Colors and Mission Models paints are better suited to AB application IMO .

I like the aqua color but the pots are a nightmare, not well designed at all.

I assume you are without an airbrush ?
Rattle-can primers are fine -- The Tamiya lacquer primers are great but they have steadily become super expensive by volume .
You can get " automotive " primers that are lacquer in larger , cheaper cans and enamel primers from Rustoleum etc can be used also .

I assume you are without an airbrush ?
Rattle-can primers are fine -- The Tamiya lacquer primers are great but they have steadily become super expensive by volume .
You can get " automotive " primers that are lacquer in larger , cheaper cans and enamel primers from Rustoleum etc can be used also .
well i do have an airbrush but never used it. Bit worried about noise and possible pollutants as have fish tanks in same room. And to be honest wouldnt know where to start with what paints, thinning etc. Any advice?

" wouldnt know where to start with what paints, thinning etc. Any advice? "

Big question . Lot to cover .
Starting with primer , I like the Stynylrez primer from Badger . Sprays great and dries fast and doesn't obliterate fine details .

You can AB that Revell paint so you should definitely start with what you have . Use their thinner to start out .

ok, might dig out compressor etc and try airbrush. Got some plastic sheets i could practice on. What sort of ratio should paint and thinner mix in?

" wouldnt know where to start with what paints, thinning etc. Any advice? "

Big question . Lot to cover .
Starting with primer , I like the Stynylrez primer from Badger . Sprays great and dries fast and doesn't obliterate fine details .

You can AB that Revell paint so you should definitely start with what you have . Use their thinner to start out .
the revell thinner is quite difficult to get hold of in Uk. Any other suggestions?

I don't use Revell paints so I can't recommend a suitable replacement for their thinner .
BUT ,
can you acquire any of these where you are at ? :

DSC04532.JPG

Looking at the MSDS for that paint line , The AK thinner above should be ideal .

Start with minimum amount of thinner . You can over-thin quite easily .

Depends on what top-coat colors will be .
Dark primer for darker colors and lighter for brighter colors - generally .
You can experiment with the nuances of all this once you get rolling .

What are you painting ?

Depends on what top-coat colors will be .
Dark primer for darker colors and lighter for brighter colors - generally .
You can experiment with the nuances of all this once you get rolling .

What are you painting ?
will be a variety of things from cars to planes and boats

Latest posts

Back