British SE5

Chris,
Too late, the deed is done so, I guess it will have to be that varient. I'll make it the
2 blade prop instead of the kit's 4 blade prop. The Goggle images I've seen show the majority
of planes with the 2 blade prop. Thanks for the info. Bill

Looking good

I haven't attempted aircraft from that erra
I actually live near the town where Peter Jackson( LOTR, King Kong) built a Museum for some of the planes used in the making of King Kong. I plan to visit there again next year for a Warbirds Air Show, I might get inspired.

This is the Museum
http://www.omaka.org.nz/

The SE5 is progressing great Bill. What are you planning to rig it with?

Thanks kiwi gav and JMac. Rigging...Rigging....Rigging....What to do about Rigging? I've been asking
around and some say Invisible thread-type used for clothing, or Magic wire-like a fiberglass and tricky to
work with.
What do you guys think would be the best thing to use for rigging a 1/48th scale biplane???
The build has kinda stalled until I find a suitable rigging material.
Thanks in advance for your help. Bill

Great work Bill! Sometimes I miss those old days where all you needed was a single exploded view drawing for an instruction sheet. :D

As far as the rigging goes I use monofilament fishing line anchored with super glue. Why? Well mainly because I like to fish so I already have the stuff around. Scientific huh? ;D No more than 6lb test I would guess. Depends on the look you want.

Thanks Ferris and Jim for the advise. At my local Craftstore I came across jeweler's bead wire and elastic thread
of a very thin guage. I'm going to test these out. Will have an update soon, a fruitful one I hope. Bill
PS: Have a pic of the prop moved lower, will make the 4 blade prop into a 2 blade prop.
lambda8002_zps2c25e2b4.jpg
Thanks for viewing. B

Bill,

I used a fly-tying product called "spider thread" for my rigging. Costs about $5 CAD for 100 feet, takes CA and paint really well.

Jason

Nice build going on here Panzerman. 8)

Love the WWI aircraft... Oneday I will try one, the rigging scares me though.

Thanks rookie and Jason. Much appreciated fellows. Trying this wire form Beadalon .25mm, seems to be working
for my needs. Got the rear of the plane done. Also, carved the prop down to a 2 blade version. Some pics.......
gorgon003_zps5e17f227.jpg
gorgon004_zps9afd9286.jpg
gorgon005_zps81d63106.jpg
gorgon002_zpscc070984.jpg
Thanks again guys. Bill

Its been a while, here's an update. Finished the rigging. Painting is next. Pics...................
mp1015.jpg
mp1016-1.jpg
mp1011.jpg
mp1018-1.jpg
mp1019.jpg
mp1014-1.jpg
Thanks for viewing. Bill

She looks good Bill :) ,but I dont envy you trying to paint it with all the rigging on !!!!

Chris.

Very nice Bill. I've never used wire to rig; I was afraid that I could not get it taut, but yours looks good. I'm interested to see how you're going to paint this up.

Jason

Thanks everyone, its been a while so, here's an update. Put a basecoat on, then realized something.....
forgot to rig the two outboard struts. Accomplished the rigging omission without too much damage to the
paintwork. Here's some pics...........................
ent1002.jpg
ent1003.jpg
ent1004.jpg
ent1005.jpg
ent1006.jpg
Thanks for viewing. Next up...Decals. Luckily, I picked up the Revell kit of this plane to canabalize some decals.
Next update soon. Bill

Latest posts

Back