Brand new Iwata Smart Jet already broken!!!!

MrNatural

my head is falling off my head
So I bought an iwata smart jet compressor and have used it maybe 5 time. I love it. I went to use it today and it wouldn't even turn on. I tried multiple outlets with no success. Has anyone had this issue. Any advice would be much appreciated. Its been over 30 days since I bought it so i dont think i can return it. Im so bummed right now. it took me a month to save up for this thing and now its already broken.

A fuse perhaps? Is there a breaker on it that might have been tripped?

I'd google the problem too...which I just did. Says it auto shuts off when not in use. Do you have the pressure cranked up on it?

??

I cant claim to be an expert on that exact model, but all of these airbrush specific compressors are similar with respect to this. These are not complicated machines functionally.

Though somewhat anecdotal of me, baring any serious issue like a seized bearing or something like that I'd say its either the thermal in the motor got tripped (but that should reset itself), or the pressure switch is messed up (stuck/busted/or out of adjustment). Could just be the on/off switch I suppose.

You have a 1 year warranty with Iwata so I wouldn't try too much yourself until you contact them and find out the details of getting it serviced.

Well I called the store i ordered it from which was dickblick.com and without any hesitation they offered to send me a brand new one. I dont even have to send the broken one back untill I receive the new one in a few days. I honestly could not believe how trouble free it was to solve this dilemma. The only bummer now is this does put me at a stand still with my current projects. Oh well could have been much worse

Glad to hear it. I feel your pain at being without for a short while. When I got my new compressor a few months ago I debated selling my old one but decided to keep it as a spare for this very reason. :)

Beyond frustrated with my Airbrush/compressor!!!!!!

Ok so recieved my brand new iwata smart jet from dickblick today. Keep in mind this is the replacement I was sent because my other smart jet crapped out on me after a month/5 airbrushing sessions.

I hooked everything up properly, turned it on, the motor kicked on like it should, the pressure went up as it should, then tried to simply spray some air to test it and I got nothing!! Push the trigger down and nothing happens, no air flow, nothing. So I took my airbrush apart made sure all the parts were accounted for, cleaned it really well then tried to spray some air through it and still got nothing. I am completely baffled as why this is happening.

I am fairly certain there is nothing wrong with my airbrush. Its a Badger Anthem 155 double action. And the compressor seems to be working like it should. Any advice??? Im going to take my airbrush to my dad's house tomorrow and try them through his compressor. That way I'll know if its an issue with the compressor or the Airbrush.

this whole thing is extremely frustrating. I dont know if I'll be able to sleep tonight

Re: Beyond frustrated with my Airbrush/compressor!!!!!!

MrNatural said:
Ok so recieved my brand new iwata smart jet from dickblick today. Keep in mind this is the replacement I was sent because my other smart jet crapped out on me after a month/5 airbrushing sessions.

I hooked everything up properly, turned it on, the motor kicked on like it should, the pressure went up as it should, then tried to simply spray some air to test it and I got nothing!! Push the trigger down and nothing happens, no air flow, nothing. So I took my airbrush apart made sure all the parts were accounted for, cleaned it really well then tried to spray some air through it and still got nothing. I am completely baffled as why this is happening.

I am fairly certain there is nothing wrong with my airbrush. Its a Badger Anthem 155 double action. And the compressor seems to be working like it should. Any advice??? Im going to take my airbrush to my dad's house tomorrow and try them through his compressor. That way I'll know if its an issue with the compressor or the Airbrush.

this whole thing is extremely frustrating. I dont know if I'll be able to sleep tonight

Since I've gotten my smartjet about a year ago I never had a problem with it.

With this new thing now you got going on, maybe it's the hose? Are you using the hose that came with it? Did you have to use the badger adaptor?

Check if it's shooting out air first. Disconnect it from your airbrush, hold the hose end TIGHT and turn on the compressor and see if air is coming out of it. Make sure you're holding the end tight or it'll whip around.

Let me know.
Chung

dreamnight-yes i'm using the hose that came with the new compressor and I am using the badger adapter which fits perfectly. I did try running the compressor with the hose unattached and there is definitely air shooting out of the hose ???

I hooked it up to my other airbrush which is a badger patriot and have the same problem. No air flow. :mad:
this makes me think it is something with the hose.

Im going to take the hose off the first smart jet I got and try it hopefully that will work :p

Troubleshooting 101 - Every component and point of connection is another potential point of failure. Check every link in the chain and don't assume that it can't be "that". Everything is a potential suspect until the problem is solved.

Whew!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

It was a faulty hose. Once I switched the hoses from the old compressor onto the new one it worked fine.
I feel like this was definitely a strange fluke that I got two faulty items from iwata in a row. It does, however, make me question how long this new one is going to last. Hopefully that is it for the problems for a while.

Ever since my very first compressor from Harber Freight went down i seem to have had a string of bad luck when it comes to trying to get my models painted. Oh well its a new year, new compressor, and new models.

thanks for the advice fellas

If you're using that plastic line they give you I'd trash it and get a nice one. I think a 10' hose at Harbor Freight is @ $4. Those are what I use and they have always worked fine.

Nice, glad you figured it out. It sounded like a blockage from one of the washers at the connection.

Chung

MrNatural said:
Whew!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

It was a faulty hose. Once I switched the hoses from the old compressor onto the new one it worked fine.
I feel like this was definitely a strange fluke that I got two faulty items from iwata in a row. It does, however, make me question how long this new one is going to last. Hopefully that is it for the problems for a while.

Ever since my very first compressor from Harber Freight went down i seem to have had a string of bad luck when it comes to trying to get my models painted. Oh well its a new year, new compressor, and new models.

thanks for the advice fellas

What shuttleace said, get a better hose for $10 or something. In fact, just purchase a nice braided badger hose.

Chung

ShutterAce said:
If you're using that plastic line they give you I'd trash it and get a nice one. I think a 10' hose at Harbor Freight is @ $4. Those are what I use and they have always worked fine.

I've been using a braided hose for years now. Never had a problem like yours. Glad you figured it out!

Latest posts

Back