Blue Ridge Models USS Wolverine in 1/700

the Baron

Ich bin ja, Herr, in Deiner Macht
Here's another rare subject, now available in kit form, the US Navy's Great Lakes training carrier, USS Wolverine, from Blue Ridge Models:

http://freetimehobbies.com/1-700-blue-ridge-models-uss-wolverine-ix-64-model-kit/

It's in resin, with PE details.

I don't think she's ever been kitted before, though there was a fantastic scratchbuild featured several years ago in FineScale. That project was in 1/72, if I'm not mistaken.

Wolverine and her sister, USS Sable, were former civilian side-wheel steamers that the Navy converted to carriers and employed to train carrier aviators, on the Great Lakes.

I can see getting this for my collection of US carriers in 1/700.

Thats whats great about the garage kit "industry." There's a chance you'll see kits that no BIG mfg's would produce.

Yeah, Blue Ridge has some other subjects I'd like to build, in their catalog.

Are you in the process of building this one or the Wasp ?

.... maybe I'll start one of my IJN kits , the wet section is slow these days ;)

Later !
MoMo

Hi, Mo, the Wasp is in my queue for a build later this year, not till I finish my Pennsy and my Essex. I need to get some more Trumpeter aircraft sets for the Wasp. I'm thinking of building her as she appeared on Navy Day, 1940, in the pre-war haze gray.

I haven't placed an order for the Wolverine yet. That's one that I'll need to budget for, that is, when I order that kit, I'll pass on some other kits for a time.

I received an update about this kit, yesterday, through FreeTime Hobbies' newsletter:

"Blue Ridge Models USS Wolverine

We announced this kit because we were within 2 weeks of having them shipped out... and then the unthinkable happened... the master pattern hull was dropped and broken beyond repair! We have since printed another hull which actually turned out better than the first one! The picture above is a test fit of the prototype resin parts using a cast hull from the original (that was broken) from one mold we were able to make before it broke. But, instead of using copies to make enough molds for production we went ahead and made the new master. Since the new master is so much better, all kits will be made from molds from the new master! We don't want to make any "promises" on release date, but, we are hopeful for end of May or at the latest beginning of June and we will have them shipped out!"

Latest posts

Back