Blending the edges of a 3 tone camo scheme

ulvdemon

While working on my current build, I noticed that I have a hard edge from the tape used to mask betwen the colors. The scheme is South East Asia camp scheme so you can see the build up of the colors. Any suggestions on how to blend the edges or will I need to scrape it and strip it?

Filters can soften these edges. Basically use heavily thinned versions of the base color, they are applied and allowed to dry and repeated until the effect is what you desire.

A filter is just like a glaze, a semi translucent layer of a color. Often times someone may apply a glaze to their painted wall in their house to shift the color and/or give it a deeper, richer surface, or an antique look.

Another way is to lightly mist a thinned version of the base color from the airbrush, which can have the same effect if done carefully. The good points are that it's faster to apply than hand brushing, the only drawback is that it is harder to control than a filter applied by hand brushing.

If you can, practice on something else, or in an area where it wont be seen or covered up with stowage/dirt/etc.

I'm not much of a military builder but I did see a tip which was to use a cardboard mask and use blu tac so it is not completely flush and the slight overspray this allows blended camouflage.
Sounds like it would work if you were careful enough but I think I'd start w the other tips first.

Now that I missed the deadline, I may have to go with the cardstock and blu tac route once I complete stripping the paint from the model and seeing if it is damage. Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.

Latest posts

Back