Black backdrop for photography??

Unreality

or Jonathan if you prefer
Hey guys. I'm wanting to use a black background for photographing my AT-ST, but everything I try tends to come out grey and not black. What would you guys recommend? Black posterboard? Some kind of black fabric? Or should I stick with a white background?

Thanks in advance

Your background is being over saturated in light, which will cause the greying effect.
Make sure your white balance is set properly on your camera.
If you are using a flash. Offset the flash, if you flash can tilt, so the light is indirect and put a mute filter on the flash.
If you are using external lighting place some light fabric over the lights, if you don't have a softbox filter.
You can use the fabric filter idea on you flash also, if you don't have a filter for it.

Hope this helps.

Jim

I'll check the white balance. I usually use auto on my Nikon D3100. I use a light tent and 3 lights, so the light is diffused. And I don't use the built-in flash, since it shoots straight and over the lens.

I've found that in a light tent I have better results using manual settings.

Jim

Papermodder said:
I've found that in a light tent I have better results using manual settings.

Jim

Yeah, I'm still learning how to do manual white balance. Thank you for the feedback. It has given me the inspiration to learn more about my camera and photography.

Latest posts

Back