Bismarck

longlance67

cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war -shakespear
Hi all,

its been a while since I did any big project, and wanted to try something new and kinda special, so there's only one kit that I could think that fitted the bill in my mind, have always been fascinated by the story of the Bismarck and it is one of the reasons I got into History and the Hobby, but don't have it in my collection this had to be rectified ;)

was gonna get Revell's new offering, but I've had Tamiya's kit in my stash for around ten years, its been sitting in its box, its hull hacked off and half painted so i think its time we breathed a new lease of life into the kit

P1110591_zps71d407f9.jpg[/URL]

P1110592_zps7a5f88a1.jpg[/URL]

this project will be a first of many for me, sea sculpting, tiny etch, rigging , new wooden decks so ill be needing the advice of yee more season mariners :)

it'll be a long burn project but im looking forward to it.
At the moment i need to sort out what parts I need to replace or change

cheers,

shane.

She is a cool looking ship I went and got the revell kit I have the Tamiya one also which is still under construction just like the detail of the revell like you the Bismark is a fasinating story and a personal part of my family history with her sinking the Hood.

I can't wait to see how you do her up :)

arohk - Glad to have you on board, did you have family connect to HMS Hood ?

have some of the parts soaking in a Windex bath to strip some of the paint off, starting with the turrets

P1110593_zps18e4aebf.jpg[/URL]

so I'll leave them to soak for 24hrs or so and see how it goes

more updates to folllow,

thanks,

shane.

My uncle died on her when she sank I have the trumpeter 1/350 of the hood got a set of metal crests for bismark and hood from lions roar they are really cool.

Arohk - not many can calm to connection to the legendary hood you must be very proud
havent built the trumpeters hood what kind of kit is it, any good ?

I am very proud as far as the kit it is unbelievable the detail is unreal and add the photo etch to the mix and you end uo with one great looking ship I will try to get some better photos of the pom pom guns and other bits so you can get an idea.

Hi all,

spent the day stripping and scrubbing paint of the ships and turrets and giving them a coat of Revell primer, haven't done too much as I started a new job but i have a few days before the next job, my question is should I wait to get Eduards etch set or should I just push on with the build and do an OOB build, not sure what i do there ?

I've got the tamiya bismark set in my stash of ships. Its up to u with the etch. If it was my first big ship build in awhile i would go all out if you know what i mean. I'll definitely be following ;D

i think your right man, i might wait for the etch so,and do the ship proper justice, glad to have you on board mate

Hi all,

a quick update to what Ive been up to with build. So far Ive been giving the model coats of revell primer and doing lots and lots sanding, its not a lot to show for the hours and hours Ive put into her, but soon Ill have some proper progress to show you, as later on today I'll be sending off for Eduard's etch set and then its down the to business ;)

thanks for looking,

progress pics to follow soon

cheers,

Shane.

model maker jnr said:
Standing the joy of making ships :D looking toward to seeing the pics 8)

cheers buddy, the set has been shipped, so hopefully it wont be too long in the post, will have a proper photo update very soon, just at the moment showing grey primed parts isnt very exciting lol

Also ordered this too :)

[hi-PI000000119787_zps2336c315.jpg[/URL]

more updates to follow

thanks

Shane.

my wife just got me that exact kit for my bday so i'll be following closely :D

Did you get the photo etch for the Revell kit ? I couldn't find anything for the Tamiya kit on e-bay...

- Drpepeprz, your wife has good taste in models :)
as for the photo etch set, it is a tamiya specific set, got straight off Eduard's web store. I wouldn't like to chance a Revell designed set on the ship in case the parts don't line up :-X

but if you go on Eduard's shop and search bismarck you'll be sure to find what your looking for

hope this helps, glad to have you on board too

Shane :)

TY I'll let her know you said that!

I'll look on the eduard's web site for the photoetch!

Thx for sharing :D

Drpepeprz said:
TY I'll let her know you said that!

I'll look on the eduard's web site for the photoetch!

Thx for sharing :D

not at all mate ;D

Im going for wooden decks myself not sure if the etch decks are better or not

Hi All,

have a small photo update to share with you, did a little work on some of the ships motor launches, about six hours of work on these two alone and with lots of finger smudges and touch ups,

P1110594_zpsa3108acc.jpg[/URL]

the base colors were vallejo sky grey, GW black and then a wash of GW's earthshade and finally the glass parts got a coat of gloss to give it a reflective appearance

Also been working on the main armament turrets, the housing have been primed and sanded and the raised ladder and sight details have been filed down in preparation for the etch parts. The blast bags were done years ago when I first tried to build this kit years ago, they are a little over scaled, but I tried to re-sculpt them to match the photos a little better

P1110597_zps72a29c0c.jpg[/URL]

and more good news got notification from Eduard that my etch has been shipped, we can be getting stuck in proper into this build very soon :)

thanks,

Shane

Latest posts

Back