BIG RIG RAT

love how you're build is going its scratching at its very best....im looking at getting the nutter based on your work with it scott keep the pics a coming

The Nutter is a great tool. You'll love it.

Over the past few days I reworked another cab. OCD. I also gave my first attempt at hinging suicide doors. Not turning out 100%. They bind up and I'm not sure what I did wrong. A larger radius on the wire doesn't appear like it would make a difference. It's binding on the back jamb...

So I'm just gonna roll with it. When the doors are open it's cool and when I close them I just need to nudge then back a mm to sit tight. Time to get paint on this and get this project finished. I'm going to sand the tube inside the door to reduce the hieght that the inner door wall has to be, and skin the inside with cookie sheet.

4463.jpg

4464.jpg

4465.jpg

Maybe my entire setup is just to far forward...perhaps the door side wire 90 angle has to sit exactly at the rear most point of the door.

If that's the case I'll rework it. It's only a matter of popping these off and adjusting.

No problem man...thanks for reading.

I did redo the drivers side with a larger radius and it helps. Still not perfect but it works.

Like I said, I gotta get this finished. It's starting to bug me and I want to finish. Paint time again.

OCD Modeling!! ;) Seen the hinges whilst I was trolling over at RedFrog....saahhhhh-weeeet!!

They look nice...and tricky. I think I better get 2 sets....just in case.

So, while I wait for piano hinges I started painting the frame. Just acrylic rust so far under a heavily worn black frame.

4466.jpg

4467.jpg

4468.jpg

Two questions if you have an opinion an a moment.
1. Should some of the bolt heads be 'bright'...as though they are new? Kinda makes sense to me...
2. Any thoughts on painting the radius rods / 4 link a color - say semi gloss black or even green like me doors are gonna be? (chipped of course, not new paint but like they had a rattle can when they put this together and said...why not.)

Looking good Scott :) ,Yip pick out some bolts around engine mounts,suspension and the like ,places where it may have been worked on .Same with painting different colors ,parts that might have been swapped out .

Chris.

Something like this would probably be a patchwork of parts. Some newer and in different colors and orders of decay than others. The odds of it being evenly destroyed are nil.

Dale

Maybe not so much new, new bolts, but just a drybrush of silver/Aluminum, whatever color on the edge of the bolt head. While it is fairly new, it has had time for rust to form on the center of the bolt head, but not the outside of the bolt head...or simply the bolt was taken out and put back in, a socket wrench would knock enough surface rust off the edge of the bolt head for some bare metal to show through.

Sweet framage there Scott!!! Color is spot on!! Yeah, what they said ::) pick and choose to make things old and new...bolt heads, I would rub on some dark steel with the cropped brush, finger or a 'soft' toothpick...might just do the trick!!! ;D

Thanks for the comments guys. I totally agree that an uniform weathering wouldn't happen. I'm going to mask off different pieces and alter the finish. Axles, shocks, bars, a cross member etc... Some new bolts, some medium. Just try to create variety.

All I've got to add is encouragement Scott, it looks fantastic and the vid showed it off well, keep up the good work :)

Thanks guys. Gonna finish this project up, the bounce back to Mr. Rancor.

I got some PE piano hinges but my patience isn't up to the challenge. Not now at least. I went back to scratch and made some using styrene tube and paperclip wire. Not awesome but they will work. After weathering they'll look ok and I'll just pose the doors for photos anyways.

4505.jpg

4506.jpg

Looks good from where Im standing :) ...dont forget to move your door handles to the front ;)

Chris.

Cool, thanks.

I'm thinking I"ll just add some new handles...like on a 32 ford. These are recessed...

Latest posts

Back