Big Dollar Figure Contest

wow!!!! the hand painted color gradients are what always get me, i recently figured out how to do this with a dual action airbrush but with a paint brush, now that is a gift!

Jingles said:
Sometimes it pays to be uber talented. While I have nothing against airbrushing, hand painting on the scale that most figure painters go for is a particular artform. Ask Dreamknight. :)

I missed something here. lol Ask me what? :) Airbrushing 28mm figures? I don't airbrush the whole thing. I have to pull out the brush when I do details and stuff. You just adapt all the scale modeling techniques to miniature painting.

Modeling in general is an art form, doesn't matter what you build, or how big or small it is.....it is an art form.

While I admit it is a different mind set painting miniatures, the techniques are the same to make it look realistic. No matter if it is a figure, a plane, tank, car, etc, etc. The techniques are all the same.

Making an armored vehicle look like it is used in the field with the mud and dust, lighting and shading to me is no different that doing the same to a figure. No matter if it is a 1/9 bust, 120mm figure, 1/35, or 28mm....techniques are all the same. If anything, it is hard to achieve on a larger figure or bust in the 120mm or 1/9 range than it is on a small 28mm figure, because there is so much more detail in the larger figures to work with.

To me it is all an art form. Those that can get an ultra glossy, flaw free finish on a car, someone that can create a realistic looking tank, weathered aircraft or a figure....its all a form of art in one way or another.

Being one that builds pretty much everything, I use alot of the same techniques and ideas no matter what I am building. I am currently working on a 1/25 Truck and log trailer, but I plan on weathering it with rust, mud, dirt and dust like I would a tank so it looks like something that looks realistic and used in the woods instead of coming off the showroom floor.

Jingles said:
Elm City Hobbies said:
While I admit it is a different mind set painting miniatures, the techniques are the same to make it look realistic. No matter if it is a figure, a plane, tank, car, etc, etc. The techniques are all the same.

I'm not sure I would personally agree with that. Different strokes for different folks. ;D

Jingles.

I agree with Jingles here. There's a few things I wouldn't do... for example, hard lining a tank or plane, it would turn out WAY too weird and wet blending a plane would be odd indeed not to mention drive me nuts applying it to a big object.

However, using lots of techniques from scale modeling really speeds up miniature painting. Lots of miniature commissioned painters are just starting to use scale modeling techniques in their painting. I've been getting into lots of conversations about using scale modeling techniques for figures with a bunch of painters.

I pretty much do my miniatures in a way I do a model... primer, pre-shade, base coat, post shade, future, pin wash, future, oil filters then in between those last few steps I go in and hard line when needed then use pigs to do some weathering when needed.

There's a guy (I forgot his name) that uses an airbrush heavily in his miniatures and from the scale modeling world and uses our techniques and he walked away with tons of Golden Demon Awards in multiple categories. He gets them done so fast. lol

Jingles said:
There was a guy who painted Pheonix's line of female miniatures with a turbine airbrush, but turbines are so picky about the consistency of paint that is used in them that few people ever tried to replicate his effects.

Jingles.

Yeesh. My eye would bug out from trying that.

The technique is called wet blending, it is similar to mixing colors on a wet pallet, I just don't have the patience to do this on a miniature that is part of a whole army. I can appreciate the skill involved though.

Latest posts

Back