BF 109 T2 (Academy 1:48)

FlipFlop said:
Thanks for the photo. What is the last tool before the ruler? Looks like something dentist would use - which gives me an idea where to look for tools ;D .
Also i found this:
OLFA_Dual_blade__4d41e3797613f.jpg

Would it work for scribing? Because it looks like a scriber but it says plastic/laminate cutter...

I don't know how well that would work. I used to use a knife like that for cutting thin HDPE (high density polyethylene) sheet at a previous job. Might be a little too large for model making...

Here's the tool I use mainly.
7-101020143G081.jpg

Outside of that I often use the needle mounted in the collet of an old x-acto knife handle, and the modified dental pick is only very rarely used for hard to reach spots.

Jason

The canopy is cut. I guess I'm committed now... ;D

Originally I tried to score it apart using a knife - it took along time to do the first cut; so I got impatient. 10 minutes later, razor saw in hand, I had everything apart. :)

I'm hoping to salvage the centre piece. I have some black PS sheet, I think I can build a new frame out of that. I pretty much have to make some kind of frame, because the kerf from the saw wiped out the old frame.

Jason

[attachment deleted by admin]

Looks like a neat cut Jason :) I normally use adhesive backed foil to make the framework for canopys ,it sticks really good ,no need for glue so less chance of messing up the clear ;) A roll of sticky Aluminium foil tape is only a couple of dollars and has a million uses ,its normally used for Aircon ducting and the like but is very thin :)

Chris.

If I may chime in boys....Vinyl. Self adhesive vinyl. I just purchased several different colors a few weeks back specifically for cockpit framing. It comes in many different colors and when you peel the backing off you can place it on the canopy and have razor sharp frame work.
I was thinking about a way to improve on the "bird cage" look of certain canopy's and still keep the interior color inside the frame. As an example I'll use a WWII aircraft with Interior/Cockpit Green as the base color vinyl. The color doesn't come in that specific color but does come in Lt.Green. Close enough match. So the sticky side will be green and adhere on to the canopy....inside color done. But before you place it on you can paint it much like other guys use vinyl for raised panels on scratch builds. First I'm thinking you cut thin strips that would be representing your frames and stick them onto glass. Use the glass as a crucible and AB the vinyl strips your base color. Then dull coat it to flavor. Once dry you can cut the vinyl to length and place it on the canopy.
Should work. Vinyl is here and is very reasonably priced.

http://cubesmith.com/Vinyl%20Sheets.htm

Thanks guys - Sorry for the delay in updating this thread. I've been really busy lately, so I have not worked at my bench in about three weeks. Hoping to get some paint down on this one over the May long weekend. I've a bunch of painting techniques I've seen recently I want to try out...

I did manage to finish up the canopy cut, polish and frames last night - and hope to post a picture tonight. I think that in the end it will turn out nice. I ended up using some black PS sheet to fill in the frames portions lost to the saw blade kerf.

Jason

Managed to get some work done on the 109 T2 yesterday and this morning. I need to do a little more fit touch ups and filling. I know I've said it before, but, I hope to pre-shade soon.

Jason

Thats looking very nice Jason ,cant wait to see the paint on this puppy :)

Chris.

Thanks Guys! :)

I did the pre-shade tonight. I'm ok with it, BUT;

This kind of pre-shading is another skill that (I feel) I really need to work on; a lot of guys get the panel lines and everything sprayed with crazy accurate precision. Not me. Nope. I spray the black lines like I've had a half dozen pots of coffee after several days of insomnia. :p Oh well. Practice, Practice, Practice. That's my motto. ;D

I'll be happy when I get some colour on this model to cover up that mess...

Jason

That will work out fine man. No need for perfect preshading...it's all in how you cover it anyway.

Scott Girvan said:
That will work out fine man. No need for perfect preshading...it's all in how you cover it anyway.

Thanks Scott, I know - no one will be able to tell once the other colours are on it.

My freehand airbrush work is just one of those skills I never seem to be comfortable doing. If you look back at my other build threads it's an ongoing item for improvement. I'm always amazed by some of the airbrush work done by others, I'd kind of like to get to that point.

RLM 76 Light blue under surfaces done. Next up upper surfaces splinter scheme.

Jason

Thanks Jim and Glorfindel.

Managed a little bit of time at the bench today. Added on the next colour. I used Vallejo's model air RLM 75 colour, lightened with a little light blue (it's too dark against the RLM 74 otherwise).

Next, I'll re-mask for the RLM 74 for the splinter camouflage, and if I'm lucky I'll also maybe get the RLM 02 in the landing gear bays done also. I've a few small RLM 76 light blue touchups on the under surfaces to finish up.

After all that - mottling and decals, and stuff...just keep swimming...

Jason

Hey Jason ,

That preshaed looks pretty good to me ! ...Paint is looking good to ...keep it coming :)

Chris.

Thanks Chris. :)

Had a very productive day working on the Bf 109. I've got most of the camouflage done, I've got to deal with some missed touch ups and a little over spray. I tried to have the pre-shade just show through and have the paint slightly patchy in appearance. I think it worked out pretty well. Other than that I'm hoping to start the mottle in the next couple days - but it might have to wait to next week end however as I've got a really busy week ahead of me.

Thanks for taking a look. Comments always welcome.

Jason

Really nice work Jason. A bit of extra masking doing it in two steps on the splinter but I think it pays off in the end.

Latest posts

Back