BF 109 T2 (Academy 1:48)

JMac

cut. glue. paint. repeat.
After finishing up the Fw-190 and a couple 1:72 aircraft, I thought I would start in on this one. I've started working on painting the cockpit.

Jason

12225.jpg

[attachment deleted by admin]

Office looking good, keep it up, i'll be following! I should've bought 109 in 48 instead of P-40 few weeks ago, that way i could join you and Chris...

PS Be careful, that 109 might not like your B-17 project. Keep your Mustangs close!

("might not like" sounds awkward - so if it's wrong sry for my english) ;D

Cheers!

Thanks FlipFlop. It was fun to paint. :)
FlipFlop said:
I should've bought 109 in 48 instead of P-40 few weeks ago, that way i could join you and Chris...

Lots of great one-oh-nine kits out there. The ICM kit that Chris is building looks wicked - nice details (I really like the engine details) and it looks like a near perfect fit. I've seen reviews that the new Airfix kit is also really nice. I'm itching to pick up a copy of the new Eduard kit. Then there is always the Tamiya and Hasegawa offerings. Lots to choose from for sure.

My Academy kit has a nice cockpit area, but the canopy is moulded in one piece (I'm not sure if I'll be able to display it open - I may try cutting the canopy or looking for a vac replacement). Also the Academy kit is missing any engine compartment details.

Jason

Cutting canopy sounds scary and i am not a really big fan of vacuform (don't know why). If i were in your shoes i would build it as is, and then later build Eduard kit, you can never build enough 109s anyway.

I am starting to like Academy more and more, they make decent kits for low price and they offer wide range of models (from needle to locomotive), but Eduard is just perfect... I've seen their 1:32 109 and it looks very nice (so i am guessing 48 is nice too), also bf-110 (1/48) - looks complicated to build but nevertheless nicely detailed... But biggest hit for me is their 48th MiG-21 - it's been on my wish list for a long time...

I don't know why i always do this but i really like to write essays which lead to off-topic haha ;D ;D ;D

Cheers!

Cool ;D Another 109 :) Nice start Jason ,the cockpit looks well detailed ! Are you going with the box art camo ?

Chris.

The fuselage is together.

Chris S said:
Cool ;D Another 109 :) Nice start Jason ,the cockpit looks well detailed ! Are you going with the box art camo ?

Thanks Chris. The kit comes with two sets of markings, I think I'll be doing the second one which is a mottle on the sides and a kind of splinter scheme on top. The one from the box art scares me.

Flipflop - Like most of the kit makers, some of the Academy are very nice, but some of them are not so good. And I totally agree on the not having enough 109's... :)

Tonight I plan to work on doing the painting of the visible surfaces inside the wings and closing them up.

Jason

Tonight fellow model addicts I attempted something I have never, ever, ever tried in my meagre modelling experience; I did a minor resin conversion... ;D

Academy's BF 109-T2 kit is basically a BF 109-E with a few (3) resin parts included in the box to model a T2 aircraft. After doing a quick test fit, I cut the existing wing tips by careful scoring the panel line with a #11 blade. Then I removed the resin parts from the pour-stub with a knife, pin-vise and saw, the cuts aren't perfect but for a first time I'm ok with it. Besides Mr. Dissolved putty will hide my cutting sins (mosty all on the bottom of the wing anyways). ;D After test fitting the new parts I pinned then using the pointed ends cut off four of my wife's sewing stick pins. I used the pointy ends to transfer the pin centre so I could accurately drill the wing to accept the pins. Finally I CA'd everything in place. The last picture is another test fit, I'm not ready to glue the wings in yet, as the cover that goes on the top of the nose is warped and will need some gentle coaxing to fit without to many harsh steps/mismatches.

I really wanted to tackle this as I'm planning a resin conversion to a Tamiya mustang kit, and I like to test build a new technique before hand (when possible).

A couple more pictures with the pins, and final test fit.

Thanks for looking, Comments welcome.

Nice work on the tips Jason, its a pitty they don't supply a new aileron rather than having to join them. I'm sure it will look spot on when you are done anyway tho :)

Chris

Thanks for the positive comments Chris. :)

The wings and the top cowling are all glued on. I've got most of the seam work done - still a little more to go, some of the spots I filled in with the dissolved putty developed holes or voids. I've got to re-engrave some sanded away panel lines and an access panel. The resin wing tips look not too bad, they will need more blending in and work. Still not sure what I'm going to do about the canopy...

Jason

Nice work again Jason . you could make a canopy easy enough for the Messer from acetate and foil ,its all flat panels ;)

Chris.

I have a confession to make;

With the BSC in full swing - I've been trying to stay on track with my contest effort. I didn't want a repeat of last year when I managed to finish my main build with only a couple hours to spare to the dead-line. All this contest zeal means I've been neglecting the one-oH-nine and the skyrocket. I've been working on them, just not very actively.

Well I did manage to finish priming the Messer today. I've got mixed feelings on the resin wing tips - I think they are ok for a first effort. I got the leading / trailing edges and the joint to match nice, but the panel lines did not...I had to fill a bunch of the panel lines in and re-scribe, then I had trouble scribing with the original PS plastic, the CA and the resin all having different hardnesses. Might be my scribing tool is going dull...not sure.

Anyways, I plan to get started on the painting next week (ish).

Chris S said:
Nice work again Jason . you could make a canopy easy enough for the Messer from acetate and foil ,its all flat panels ;

Totally agree Chris, I figure I'll push my modelling envelop a little more. I hope to cut the front and back off of the kit canopy, then scratch build the centre piece. That way I can show the cockpit open. ;D

Sorry to everyone about the quality of the picture - the model is primed in light grey, and my desk lighting bleached it out.

Jason

Hey Jason. The cockpit painting looks great...clean and precise. The mating of the wing tip extensions looks
flawless in the photo. Good job. Not too familiar with this Messer varient...does the extended wings give it
better high altitude performance??? Just curious. Bill

Thanks Bill, that is very kind of you.
The photo being bleached out does hide some mismatches in the panel lines.

As I understand the BF 109 T1 aircraft were meant for carrier operation, and were equiped with extended wings, and landing arresting gear. The germans never completed a carrier, so a few aircraft were converted/built to the T2 specifications (extended wings, no arresting gear) for use on short rough runways- mostly in Norway.

Jason

The cockpit painting looks great...clean and precise. The mating of the wing tip extensions looks flawless in the photo.
+1

And wanted to ask - does the panel line go over the join of the wing and extension? If it does - how do you scribe them over putty/glue so they end up straight? Whenever i tried it they were everything but straight...

Cheers!

Thanks FlipFlop. :)

FlipFlop said:
And wanted to ask - does the panel line go over the join of the wing and extension? If it does - how do you scribe them over putty/glue so they end up straight? Whenever i tried it they were everything but straight...

The panel lines do extend right over the joint. I normally use a number of things as straight edges when I scribe: 1.) Dymo tape (stolen from my wife’s label maker ::)), 2) a small steel rule or 3) pieces cut from a polystyrene sheet (held in place with masking tape and/or blu-tack). With the first few passes of my scribing tool I use very light (almost no) pressure. Then I go back and progressively apply a little more pressure as the groove deepens. I'm using the Vallejo putty and the Mr Dissolved Putty. I've had no good success scribing over Squadron Green or Red putties & rarely use them any more. I seen no real problem re-scribing over the Vallejo and Mr. Dissolved putties - my main problem is crossing over a CA filled joint, because it is so much harder than anything surrounding it - my scribing tool tends to jump or grab at that intersection.

I can post a picture if you would like.

Jason

Thanks for the answer, i will try vallejo putty and your technique. I've got one more q: what kind of a scribing tool do you use? Most of my tools are improvised so for scribing i use xacto and an old caliper (if it's called like that) which believe it or not works for the most part.

Sorry for the 20 question game ;D
Cheers!

hey Jason ,

Looking good in primer ,looking forward to the paint . Did you get the canopy sorted ?

Chris.

Chris S said:
Looking good in primer ,looking forward to the paint . Did you get the canopy sorted ?

Thanks Chris, I'm just about to start in on the canopy tonight. I'll cut it into three pieces and either mod or make a new centre section. Not sure as yet, I need to see how bad my cutting work on the kit parts will be first...

FlipFlop said:
I've got one more q: what kind of a scribing tool do you use? Most of my tools are improvised so for scribing i use xacto and an old caliper (if it's called like that) which believe it or not works for the most part.

Sorry for the 20 question game ;D
Cheers!

No problem FlipFlop, I've attached a picture of the tools I use for scribing. I've also put some Dymo tape on to the kit so you can see that also. Be sure to practice on some scrap plastic before trying it out on the real thing.

Jason

Thanks for the photo. What is the last tool before the ruler? Looks like something dentist would use - which gives me an idea where to look for tools ;D .
Also i found this:
OLFA_Dual_blade__4d41e3797613f.jpg

Would it work for scribing? Because it looks like a scriber but it says plastic/laminate cutter...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back