best paints

owr25

I have been using tester paint. But it takes days to dry before i can touch the model. Does anyone know why? What is the best paints to use?

Did you shake and stir it? What does "tester paint" mean? Where do you store them?

Your Testors paints are probably enamel, which usually take awhile to dry, and even longer to fully cure.

Great paint to use is Vallejo Acrylics, dry to the touch in about 10-15mins, and fully cured in 24hrs, and with 195 colors in their Model Color line alone, not many colors that can't be found.

Best paint, possibly the most asked question on any modelling forum ;D
And I've yet to see 2 answers the same

In my humble opinion
Best airbrush acrylic - Vallejo model air
Best brush acrylic - badger minitaire
Best metallics - alclad lacquer
Best airbrush enamel - tamiya
Best brush enamel - tamiya (but have not really brush painted other enamels)
Best primer - Vallejo

As for testors, I have almost no experience of them as they are uncommon and pricey here.

I mainly use Tester brand paints and mine dry pretty quick like within an hour they are dry enough to handle. Not sure why yours are not drying faster.

arohk said:
I mainly use Tester brand paints and mine dry pretty quick like within an hour they are dry enough to handle. Not sure why yours are not drying faster.

Testors has a couple of different lines of paint, some enamel, some lacquer, some acrylic. Enamels usually take quite awhile to dry and cure, while the lacquers and acrylics are usually dry to the touch in a short time and cure in about 24hrs.

I have several different brands of acrylic paint. But I find that I like Vallejo Air the most. Not only for airbrushing but it really brushes well too. Some colors require a little more building up but I use that line more then any other.

Sounds like you're using enamel paints. Are you brushing them or airbrushing them?
As far as the best paints, well that's a complicated asnwer.. I would agree with WebbyNZ on most, I've never used Alclad so I have no opinion on that brand. Many modelers use them..
I use mainly acrylics with some enamels, oils and a couple of 2 part paints but have very little left and now they are over $25.00 each pint. so once they are out they are gone..Vallejo Model air is a great line but you should try a few different colors from different companies and find what you like the best...Good luck and most importantly HAVE FUN!!! :)

I once used testors enamel, and they were dry to the touch in al least 2.5 hours max, try putting thin layers instead of big globs, it dries faster, and looks better

I mainly use Testor's model Master Acrylics, mainly because it is the only thing readily available at a store near where I work. No problems with them. I have used Vallejo's Model Color line for brush painting and I can agree that they are pretty good to use.

Latest posts

Back