Battleship Cove, Fall River, Mass.

Elm City Hobbies

Hey there everyone,

Thought I would share with you my trip to southern Mass, and RI. Stopped off at Battleship Cove in Fall River, Mass. There you will find the USS Joseph P. Kennedy Destroyer, USS Lionfish Sub, Hiddensee Tarantul I Corvette and the USS Massachusetts Battleship as well as a couple of PT-109s among other things.

Well worth the $15 admission, all the ships are open for the most part for you to crawl through them. I spend about 2 1/2hrs there, and only saw maybe half of what is there, by the time I got through the destroyer and the sub, I was played out and didn't get to see as much of the Corvette and Mass. as I would have liked, but did get some great shots along the way, so if you have a few minutes...check out the photos.

Battleship Cove

You shoulda said something, thats like ten minutes from my house and even closer to Rob 'Scratchmod'. We could've met up for lunch or something like that. The entire lower deck of the Battle Ship is a huge scale model display/museum.

Hey there Ken,

I thought of it....but it was the last day down there, and my wife waited in the car as she has no interest and in her words, would have been a waste of $15 for her, so I didn't want to make her wait too long (2 1/2hrs was probably long enough).

Wish I had of gone to the Mass. first, but oh well, just gives me an excuse to go back....did get pics on the first deck down, but the only scale model I saw was of the Mass herself. As well there were a few in the buildings that housed the PT boats (nice dio of a PT resupplying.....know I have seen that from show pictures somewhere).

Meant to get to Groton as well to see the subs, and I just found out that the New England Air Museum is just north of Hartford with a restored B-29 (among others) so that may end up on the itinerary of the next trip!

No worries but I would have had you covered in that respect as well. Just over the braga a bit (that big bridge at the ships) is the old mills that have been converted into a gigantic factory outlet mall. All name brand stuff at factory outlet discounts, all accessible by one huge air-conditioned trek from one factory outlet to the next. She could have gotten lost shopping for twice as long.

It may have cost you a bit more than that $15.00 in the end but it's a fair trade I think eh?

Ahhh...didn't know that....may have to put that in the GPS for the next trip.

Did get a couple of nice shots of the Fall River Nuke Plant.....has to be comforting to know if that thing ever blows you will be one of the first to know about it!

Hey there just letting you know that the air museum has open cockpit weekends. You'll have to check their website ever once and a while because they don't always post the weekends months in advance.

Latest posts

Back