Batmobile - 1966 Deluxe Edition

trekriffic

Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2012
Messages
533
Reaction score
4
Looking awesome! Are you planning so weathering or do you want to let her clean?
I weathered the tire treads, the engine, and the undercarriage. The upper body will be clean, hard to weather being all black anyway. Might do a little more weathering on the lower front grills though.
 

Belugawrx

Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2013
Messages
308
Reaction score
11
First order pod racer ...?:cool:
I remember ...back in '70 running uphill ,..home from school,.. both ways,...
To get to watch this show...4:00 am in syndication
Followed by an equally exciting "Jonny Quest" just after dinner...
Cheers
 

trekriffic

Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2012
Messages
533
Reaction score
4
Before launching into the decal phase I decided to fix a gap between the nose on the hood and what would be the hood latch in the body...


Batmobile 1966 - WIP - Batmobile Rhinoplasty
by trekriffic, on Flickr


Batmobile 1966 - WIP - Hood Work
by trekriffic, on Flickr

Should improve the Batmobile’s profile.

After redoing the nose I removed most of the old varnish before respraying with Krylon Satin Black:


Batmobile 1966 - WIP - Hood Finish Rework
by trekriffic, on Flickr

I added some AVES to make a smooth curve from the hood to the body:


Batmobile 1966 - WIP - Rework
by trekriffic, on Flickr

Rear end stripes. The fluorescent orange decals tore or broke off in a few spots but I found Italian Red acrylic is a perfect match. After touching up with paint I will apply a top coat of MM fluorescent red “enamel”. I put that in quotes because the bottle claims it’s enamel but it doesn’t smell like it. Anyway, you have to put the fluorescent on over an under layer of red:


Batmobile 1966 - WIP - Decals
by trekriffic, on Flickr

Rear wheel well and lateral stripes. the kit decals had a pair of scalloped decals for each fin so all I had to do was paint the small gap along the edge of the fin between the decals:


Batmobile WIP - Decals
by trekriffic, on Flickr

The decal wrapped around the sides of the headlight cowlings then down over to meet the top to the hood. I had to paint the front edges using Italian Red which was a perfect match with the decal color fortunately. Have to do the decals around the grills next.
I used Italian Red to paint the stripes on the 1/48 scale “Aurora” Batmobile I think:


Batmobile 1966 - WIP - Decals
by trekriffic, on Flickr

The hood got its decals:


Batmobile 1966 - WIP - Hood Decals
by trekriffic, on Flickr

The hood in place:


Batmobile 1966 - WIP - Decals
by trekriffic, on Flickr

The improved nose profile is a much smoother transition from the hood to the body:


Batmobile WIP - Nose Job
by trekriffic, on Flickr

Some extra decals were included with the kit...

The instructions show no decal 35:


Batmobile 1966 - WIP - Mystery Decals
by trekriffic, on Flickr

The forward grill decals. And an extra set of wheel well decals:


Batmobile 1966 - WIP - Decals
by trekriffic, on Flickr

That’s it for now. Once I have the rest of the stripes on I’ll seal with Future before applying her finishing coats of varnish. Then a rub with some Novus No. 1 polish.

Stay tuned Bay fans!
 

Latest posts

Top