Bare Metal Silver

WigWag Workshop

"Keep The Glue On The Styrene"
Good Day Folks!

I am working on the Tamiya F-51D Mustang (Korean War). On the painting guide, it calls for Tamiya AS-12 - Bare Metal Silver. I am not able to locate this, what would you suggest has an alternative?

Thanks in advance,

-Steven

Alclad aircraft aluminum would be my choice ...excellent stuff :)

Chris.

I was trying some different ways to get that NMF look when I stumbled onto one I thought looked okay, using Tamiya XF-16 Flat Aluminum on some areas and X-11 Chrome Silver on others, as well as covering a few small panels in Bare Metal Foil.. After a clear coat and an oil wash to blend everything there is still a slight difference in the tones,

P1060075_zps9dffd03d.jpg

P1060079_zpsc88ae9ef.jpg

I am going to try that Alclad stuff on the next one, gotta check that stuff out.

ive been looking at that alclad stuff, after airbrushing what do you clean out your airbrush with?

zappa

Only thing with Alclad is that it's really soft. You can't clear coat it . You might be able to use future though. Not a real fan of the stuff. Tamiya makes aircraft aluminum in a rattle can. Stuff's awesome. You might try Model Masters Buffing Metalizers. I've used a lot of that before I started air brushing with really good results. You can get it for AB's as well. Every plane I build wants Burnt Iron, so I use the crap out of it.

That's a pretty sweet little jet you have there. Forget the naked metal. Just buff that sucker to a nice shiny surface until you see yourself.

dkev said:
Only thing with Alclad is that it's really soft. You can't clear coat it . You might be able to use future though. Not a real fan of the stuff. Tamiya makes aircraft aluminum in a rattle can. Stuff's awesome. You might try Model Masters Buffing Metalizers. I've used a lot of that before I started air brushing with really good results. You can get it for AB's as well. Every plane I build wants Burnt Iron, so I use the crap out of it.

I've clear coated Alcald in 2 models with no adverse effects, both the fragile high shine colours and the regular shades. Used Mr Color lacquer clear coats over the regular alclads and alclad's own aqua clear over chrome. My entry in the gundam group build is the most exhaustive use of those paints I ever did since the guy is covered head to toe in them ;D and it's totally clear coated as well, with several layers in the blue parts.

Thanks all for the replies! I was looking at the Alclad display at the LHS. Soon has I get my airbrush issues sorted, I am going to give them a try. I ended up getting a Tamiya rattle can silver I am OK with how it turned out. Will post the results soon.

Thank You Again All, for taking the time to reply

-Steven

Latest posts

Back