Bandai 1/1000 Yamato for SMA contest

Quaralane

Starting up with a second entry for the SMA Big Spring Contest.
This time, I'm working on the 1/1000 "Space Battleship Yamato" from Bandai.
I'm planning on doing this as a mostly out of the box build with a minimum of painting.
Intending to do detailing and weathering, and possibly some minor battle damage.

Obligatory "unstarted" pic with proof of start date.
bandai-1000-yamato-01.jpg

The three parts sprues, done in different colors to ease the need to paint.
bandai-1000-yamato-02.jpg

The kit's base was fairly straightforward. Three pieces, plus metal foil decal to show the ship's name and dimensions.
I like the fact that it's designed to cradle the model without the need for additional pins.
bandai-1000-yamato-03.jpg

The main gun turrets and lower pod assembly
bandai-1000-yamato-04.jpg

Main hull assembly finished, but showing a NASTY seam down the middle of her keel.
bandai-1000-yamato-05.jpg

Primary sanding done on the keel seam, and the main guns are added to the deck.
All of the guns elevate, but only two of the turrets rotate at tthis point.
bandai-1000-yamato-06.jpg

Deck is in place, as is the main engine thruster.
bandai-1000-yamato-07.jpg

Youtube link:
Bandai 1-1000 Yamato-SMA-Part One

wow cool!!! Battleship Yamato!!! great choice Quaralene... looking forward with this build.

Thanks, guys.

@MrNatural
Actually, the video's for the 1/500 version. Which is about twice the size of mine
Although I'm wishing my hull had gone together so easily.

His was only two pieces to my four.

One of my favorite ships of any series. Really would like one of the 1/500. Looking forward to seeing it completed

Nice work so far!! One of my favorite ships!!!

This is a kit I have wanted to build for a while now. I have this one and the 1/500 retool in my stash. The new version of the 1/500 has the hull in four pieces just like yours.

This looks interesting Quaralane...............call me old fashioned and behind the times but not seen anything like that before buddy ??? ;D

`Boots`

Awesome Choice Q !! Man ! I miss this series. O watched it with anticipation on cable Waaaay Back in th Day. Only to be Blown away at the Sticker Price of getting this whole Sereis on DVD !! Last time I checked it was $350 (USD)

I have seen on YouTube that a Movie is in th works !!

"Star Blazers" Heading To The Big Screen
But there already is a Japanese Live Action version already out ... Now .. Where can I find that one ?

SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO Extended Clip!

Space Battleship "Yamato" Ep01 (1/3)

Cool Start to th Yamato !!! I'm lookin' forward to seing this come together !!!

I must have gotten mine at the right time. I paid $50 per season. That price sure has increased. Might have to sell them off.....

But it is playing on the Sci fy channel late Thursday evenings.....

Grendels said:
I must have gotten mine at the right time. I paid $50 per season. That price sure has increased. Might have to sell them off.....

But it is playing on the Sci fy channel late Thursday evenings.....

I just saw that on YouTube ... I'll Ti-Vo th series !! WoW ! $50 bux a season. The Box set DVD ( all 3 seasons, used to be available) is $$$$

- http://www.amazon.com/Star-Blazers-Iscandar-Complete-Collection/dp/B00005QCWK - apparently IT's gone up ! It's now $150 for just Season 1 !! At this rate .. I'll never be able to Own it !

Thanks for the compliments, guys.
It's a quick little build. Should have more for you guys tonight or tomorrow

Cool Q!! Your just going right to town on this one. I built a 1/700 of the actual Yamato for a friend a while back. He has this too in his stash, this just might be the motivation he needs to pull it out! Keep it coming buddy! ;D

Thanks, guys.
Still have a bunch of little guns to deal with. And maybe see about replacing that antenna I lost

After taking a day off, I got back to work on Yamato today.
All of her many guns are now in place. (Thank you, Lord, for getting me through the "fiddly-bit" phase of this)
bandai-1000-yamato-11.jpg
bandai-1000-yamato-12.jpg

With the guns all now in place, I finished up assembly.
Viewed from starboard
bandai-1000-yamato-13.jpg

Viewed from aft
bandai-1000-yamato-14.jpg

Viewed from port
bandai-1000-yamato-15.jpg

Viewed from bow on.
bandai-1000-yamato-16.jpg

At this point, I need to seal her up and then get the weathering done.

Youtube link:
Bandai 1-1000 Yamato-SMA-Part 03

Nice.

I loved that show as a kid. I hope to get my hands on one of the big kits some day, awful pricey though.

Latest posts

Back