Back to the craft

Bear43

After a 25 year break I'm picking up modelling once again. Got out of it in my mid-20's and got my interest back up lately. First kit I'm starting on is the Airfix 1/72 P40B Warhawk. A lot has changed over the years, I see. Model Master (which I loved before) is no more but I see quite a variety of available products online. Lots to learn again.

After a 25 year break I'm picking up modelling once again. Got out of it in my mid-20's and got my interest back up lately. First kit I'm starting on is the Airfix 1/72 P40B Warhawk. A lot has changed over the years, I see. Model Master (which I loved before) is no more but I see quite a variety of available products online. Lots to learn again.
Hello and welcome.
Pantherman

One thing that is different is that water-based acrylic paints are not terrible anymore. Not as good as acrylic lacquers or really nice enamels. But if you want a place to start and just play around, they are just easier to work with.

One thing that is different is that water-based acrylic paints are not terrible anymore. Not as good as acrylic lacquers or really nice enamels. But if you want a place to start and just play around, they are just easier to work with.
except I am not a big fan of the Humbrol acrylics. but AK, Acrysion, and Vallejo acrylics are worth checking out.

I have been playing with the water-based acrylics and find they are pretty good. I remember when they first hit the market, they were just horrid so I was a bit cautious at first.

I have been playing with the water-based acrylics and find they are pretty good. I remember when they first hit the market, they were just horrid so I was a bit cautious at first.
I mainly use vallejo paints for hand brushing and found them really good to work with. Bit temperamental when spraying, tamiya easier for that. But it's all just practice really. Pantherman

Sorry I missed your introductory post! Welcome back to the hobby and welcome to the Herd! I look forward to seeing your P-40B. I have the 1/48 kit from Airfix, and they really did a good job with the new tooling.
Best regards,
Brad

I have seen lots of good things about the new 1/48 Warhawk kit from Airfix. When I get my two 1/72 kits finished (other is a Spitfire Mk I) I plan to go with a 1/48 kit. My old eyes are having difficulty with the small bits.

Latest posts

Back