Back into Scale Modeling after a 15 year break! (LONG)

USAFASME7

Hello everyone,

I'm Rob. I just joined this forum today and I hope to give and take tips and tricks to enhance my modeling skills and maybe other people's too. I started modeling at the age of 6 and was hooked! I built models (mostly aircraft) all the way through High School and even up to around 1997 when I was in the military. I got tired of models breaking during military moves / deployments, so I "quit".

I just got back into it about 6 months ago and man, it feels GREAT to be back! I had forgotten how truly relaxing this hobby was! I told my wife I wanted to maybe get back into modeling after I retired from the USAF in 2009. One day she comes home from Hobby Lobby with a "Hey, I bought you a surprise!". (I was like Oh! A model! Greeeeat! :-\ thinking "you don't know the first thing about buying models") but to my surprise, she did pretty good! A 1:48 Scale Revell A-10 Warthog. I used to work on those in my "young Airman" days and it's always been one of my faves.

So after building most of it, I fired-up my old airbrush and laid-down a beautiful 2-tone grey camo scheme...only to RUIN it with a "home-made" weathering wash! I almost threw it against the wall, but restrained myself. It sat on a shelf for three months so I decided to give it another go. I re-painted it, GLOSSED over it before weathering and decals, then flat clear-coated it. I think it turned-out pretty well for not having built a model in 15 years!

Anyway, I recently started attending meetings for the local IPMS chapter called the "Southern Air Craftsmen" and even went to an expo last month in Alabama (but didn't enter the contest).

In the last six months, I've built:

1:48 Revell A-10A
1:48 Hasegawa F-16CG
1:48 Revell F-15C
1:72 Hobby Boss F-86F
1:72 Airfix A-7D
1:72 Unimax P-51D
1:72 MPC F-111F
1:72 Academy Spad VIII
1:144 Academy F-15A
1:48 Hawk P-47D (old P.I.T.A. Chrome Plated Kit)

Damn, I've been busy! I didn't realize I'd built that many until I just listed them here. I've been scavenging the "Clearance" rack at the local hobby shop, buying-up cheap old kits that needed new decals--to ease back into the hobby and try-out new techniques. Many of these are in a glass showcase at the USAF Structural School where I teach (to promote USAF History and maybe motivate the students to build some models too).

I'm currently building a 1:48 Revell B-58 Hustler. On the shelf waiting to be built are:

- 1:48 Eduard Limited Edition "Striking Eagles" F-15E with SJAFB, NC markings (my old unit)
- 1:32 Revell F-15A (with a "smoked" ??? ) canopy? I need a clear canopy or will vacu-form one.
- 1:48 B-1B (given to me started by someone else)
- 1:48 Revell P-38J Lightning (I ordered Tommy McGuire's "Pudgy" decals (I restored the real one at McGuire AFB, NJ in 1998)

Anyway, it's good to be back and I look forward to surfing this forum; and learning and sharing with all of you. If anyone else is in the Pensacola, Florida area, hit me up and let's chat!

Later!

P.S. Here's a couple of pics of my recent work:

--Rob ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Howdy Rob and welcome aboard.

I no wingding, lol, but I'd say your absence hasn't affected your work. I too was in the USAF and had to stop till I got out. Though I was a weapons loader on three of the birds you have pictured I'm more in to the armor and figures. I do have plenty of birds on the shelf, I'll get to em some day.

Great work buddy and thx for posting. Keep sniff in paint and gluin them fingers together.

Cheers, Ski.

Latest posts

Back