B29 kit

dhdaniel

I want to build a B29. I'm learning that there is not many options.
What I've found so far is EBAY and such
Monogram, Revell,
Growing up I remember both companies.
Whats the better kit now days? I see a Revell Level 5 for near $300. thats way too much for me.
Others on Ebay are in the $100 + range. I saw one that came with crew figures.
Any suggestions?

thanks
Dave

Yes Sir, 1/48 is my preference. There are several Monogram & Revell kits on Ebay, I may bid. I like the kits that come with little figures,

Dave

I have built one over 30 years ago at 1:48 scale. It is a nice kit, just detailed enough and quite worth it. It has a large wingspan over 24 inches (60 cm) and is nearly just as long. If you start one, think about the space needed to expose it and especially away form kids and cats. I have been able to suspend it from the ceiling for quite a few years and the plastic structure was sturdy enough to hold without deformation.

Yeah, as Mike notes, the 1/48 B-29 with a Revell label is actually the Monogram kit.
The two companies went through a couple of acquisitions apiece from the late 70s up into the 90s, when they wound up in the same investment company's basket. The brands were merged, keeping the Revell brand but shutting down Revell's operations and focusing on Monogram's facility in Illinois. The merged company wound up rereleasing kits from either catalog under either label, along with kits produced under license. To further complicate the family tree, Revell's European office became Revell of Germany, but which is not related to the current brand of that name.
Scalemates is good, too, but remember that it's essentially a wiki, so the info there is only as good as the contributors. But you can join and add content, too.
The Monogram B-29 is a good kit, though some will criticize it, because it does reflect the state of the art in 1977. I built it when I was in junior high, and I still remember how amazed I was, at the kit, and at Shep Paine's diorama using the kit.
I have a couple in my stash but haven't found room for the finished models yet. Mine are original Monogram boxings; I prefer the older boxings, since the molds were still new, not worn.
Anyway, I look forward to seeing your build, whichever you choose.

A post-script....if you want to buy the Monogram kit, I would wait till you can find it for a reasonable price on the secondhand market. You might also find it in a retail store today. By "reasonable price", I mean $30 or less. But that's just me. I see the ones on eBay, with a seller asking ninety bucks or more, but know I can get it for much less. Or look for it at a show or at a club meeting, if you can. I got mine for ten apiece at our Region II show, along with a pair of Monogram C-47s, also ten apiece.

I think I may have scored a kit from a Fellow Texan for a decent price,
Also interested in a C-47 in 1/48. Mostly what I'm seeing is 1/72

any ideas?

thanks
Dave

...Also interested in a C-47 in 1/48. Mostly what I'm seeing is 1/72...
Well, I'm a nostalgia builder; I grew up in the 70s, building Monogram and Revell. So I'm partial to Monogram's 1/48 kit, with its stick of paratroopers. I spent a lot of time studying Shep Paine's "Tips On Building Dioramas" from that kit, admiring the diorama and wondering how he got everything to look so real.

Having said that, there is another 1/48 scale kit, from Trumpeter. It came out about 10 years ago, roughly? Anyway, you can find reviews of it on line. I'd still build the Monogram kit over the Trumpeter kit, myself. You can find it on eBay and elsewhere, and at shows, club meetings, etc. Just depends how long you're willing to wait for the deal you want.

Back then, I always felt a little disappointed that Monogram never kitted the C-46, too. I thought that would have looked cool, hanging from my ceiling with the rest of my large bomber kits.

good evening, I did find a nice Monogram B29 model 5706, for a fair price.
I doubt I'll start work on it right away, got something else to start, but I'm happy that I scored, especialy a decent price, Now the search is on for the C-47, Might have to go with a Trumpeter Kit.

Have a good one!
Dave

My son and I just finished the Monogram B29 last weekend. We trolled eBay until we got a price we liked.

We’re not experts, but had a good time putting it together. Pre-decal picture attached.

Attachments

• 685B9F2E-E830-422E-BB72-104843512ADD.jpeg
    685B9F2E-E830-422E-BB72-104843512ADD.jpeg
    265.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back