B-17 (Revell/Monogram 1:48)

JMac

cut. glue. paint. repeat.
This was the second build I had hoped to finish up for the BSC 2012.

revell-b17-g-flying-fortress-bomber.jpg

Not much under way here. Mainly just started on the interior painting. Have to say that for an older kit, it's pretty nice. I'm really enjoying the build so far - I just wish it was farther along...Kind of think I should pick-up a B-24 to go along with it. I have not decided if I'm going to use the kit markings as yet. Now that I have more time I might order some AM decals...

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look. Comments welcome.

Jason

[attachment deleted by admin]

Jason,
Looking good, so far right out of the box.
If you go aftermarket, you won't want for many.
Just more shelf space.

Looking good so far JMac. ;D

A couple of weeks ago when I was picking up some tamiya paints at the hobby shop I saw they had a Revell 1/48 B-24. I might have to make a trip today and see if its still there, you know because a guy always needs more tamiya paint. ::)
If it's gone and replace by the B-17 or B-29 kits well... I won't cry about it lets put it that way. ;D

:eek: You got a biggy on the go too ;D Nice work Jason ,I didnt realise there was so much detail on the interior of that kit ! ...Looks good .

Chris.

Chris S said:
:eek: You got a biggy on the go too ;D Nice work Jason ,I didnt realise there was so much detail on the interior of that kit ! ...Looks good .

Chris.

Yep, she's a big girl. I would not have bought this kit normally, but I was given to me by my uncle. Loads of detail on the inside, I've been focusing on painting the interior. I spent all morning working on it, and I'm still not done.

@Holden - A B-29! that would be huge! These old Monogram kits might have raised panel lines, but they are pretty nice for what you get in the box; a few figures, decent detail inside, good price, AM for those who want it...I'd build another.

Glorfindel said:
Jason your en fuego! Your banging these kits out like there Pillsbury Croissants.

LOL. Well if I'm on fire, it's a smouldering one - it took me three months to get this far into the build. ;D I've always got build on the go behind the scenes. Often I've a couple builds that I use to test techniques out on - for those builds I don't post WiP threads, maybe post completed stuff...

Jason

[attachment deleted by admin]

Tidy work Jason ,I like the wooden table top too ! .....so what is it you 'Dread' ( first pic ) lol

Chris.

@Holden - A B-29! that would be huge! These old Monogram kits might have raised panel lines, but they are pretty nice for what you get in the box; a few figures, decent detail inside, good price, AM for those who want it...I'd build another.

I've heard that for some of these big bombers the raised panel lines are more correct because of the way the skin is riveted on.

Dang that looks like you can put a checker board on that table! Love the grain in the wood on the table...so tiny. Just awesome Jason.

I have this one staged in an unopened box for my next project after I finish the Mitchell. Going to try the silver body....big model. Looks great on your end.

Good to see another post from you Jmac, ditto on the comments re the woodwork, nice job. I've never given the Revell aircraft kits a second glance, but there seems to be a few on the go here at the moment... watching with interest

Looking Great!, The B-17 is on my to-build-list, will be watching this one. I also would like to know how you did the table top.

-Steven

Wow, I've been away for a bit and I came back to a bunch of comments. Sorry for the delay in updating this thread - summer is really short here in Alberta, so I've been doing lots of other stuff. Both Baron and ShutterAce have mentioned this thread, so I don't want to let it linger too much - Thanks guys. :)

Where I'm at - I'm still painting the painting the interior details. For me this is a huge kit (size wise, not part count wise) - I normally build 1:72, so just painting and assembling the interior is taking a bit of time (that and when I've been woking on my Albatros this sits neglected). I've seen a few posts else where on the forum about which kits are good, and which kits are bad; I'd encourage anyone whose interested in the 1:48 scale - these Revell-Monogram kits are pretty good. They have some nice interior detail, and are fun to build. However the moulds are older and you might have some flash and raised panel lines to deal with. Pictures soon.

WigWag Workshop said:
I also would like to know how you did the table top.
-Steven
Texaslobo said:
I like that wood effect You have on the tables! How did You do that?
Greg

Thanks Greg and Steven. The table tops (and all of the other wood surfaces in the kit) have a very slight texture moulded into them. First I painted them a base coat of Vallejo 70879 (Green Brown). When the base coat was dry I applied some artists oil paints to the surface with bits torn off a sponge. Same technique as I'm using on my Albatros build ( http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/index.php/topic,6322.0.html ), only it works a little easier here due to the moulded texture on the part surface.

rookie said:
Good to see another post from you Jmac, ditto on the comments re the woodwork, nice job. I've never given the Revell aircraft kits a second glance, but there seems to be a few on the go here at the moment... watching with interest

Thanks - you should really check the R/M-G kits out if you have a chance. Good subjects, at not bad price. I'd like to pick up a few more for the stash...

Holden said:
I've heard that for some of these big bombers the raised panel lines are more correct because of the way the skin is riveted on.

At this scale I think the raised panel lines (or recessed panel lines for that matter) are out of scale. But as model makers we want it to look good and add detail/interest. I'm planning to leave the raised panel lines on this build. I'll prime everything black. After all the camouflage painting is done, a light sanding will reveal nice black panel lines. I've tried this technique before with my HE-219 build. If your interested here's the link to that thread;
http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/index.php/topic,3370.msg39775.html#msg39775

Also thanks again for the positive comments and following along with this thread (MossyOakClan, Austin132010, Glorfindel, and Q). :) I really do appreciate it.

Time to get this build back in gear.

Jason

Latest posts

Back