Avionics Bay

todoink

As part of my MH-60L DAP project, I wanna give it a little "push". I am thinking of scratch building the nose part and simulate an avionics bay w/c sounds like a lot of work but the end results should be promising.

But unfortunately, after lots of searching, it seems that I can't find a MH-60L avionics bay. I have only seen UH-60's which lacking FLIR, AN/APQ-174B and PLUME DETECTORS. I need to see "underneath" the MH-60L's nose in order to see the wirings of these components as well as the main component of the AN/APQ-174B.

Maybe someone here have a HUGE collection of these photos I'm looking for that wants to share, that will be a big help.

Academy's MH-60L DAP size is huge that I can't resist not to "spice" it up a little with components built from scratch. Thanks!

I have partaken on this journey you are on before. I loved building this. Here is a link to my build thread and photobucket album.

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/index.php/topic,2397.0.html
http://s349.beta.photobucket.com/user/mykefootie/library/Academy%20MH-60L%20DAP%20Blackhawk

These schematics might help too.

IMG_20110519_195937.jpg

IMG_20110519_200114.jpg

Good Luck

Thanks a lot Myke. Though not the exact avionics bay that I'm looking BUT it helped a lot! ^.^ This should give me a very very good start. Now the only thing that I need to search is the inside of the nose radar and whatever connectors those plume detectors (is this what they are called? those two "eyes" on the nose where the nose radar sits...) have.

For the flir, I think I can refer to this photo (source: http://usarmy.vo.llnwd.net) :

size0-armymil-99342-2011-02-14-170214_zps38882124.jpg

Now all that is left to know is what is behind that nose radar and plume detectors. I don't know if there is some kind of a special component behind them or I can just simply put some kind of a "connector" behind them then add up some wires to make it look busy.

By the way, I've seen your MH-60L DAP work before. I've viewed it many times and It is your work that inspired me work on a MH-60L DAP project also. I did even saved some photos of your MH-60 for my reference (yep I didn't asked for permission but I hope it's no biggie hehe! I'm not yet a member of SME back then).

The only thing lacking on my MH-60L project is the photo-etched set. Hobby shops in my area don't have them and buying online is not really an option for me since I don't have some kind of an account that I can use so I just need to scratch build whatever that I can and try to make it look like the real thing as close as possible.

Your work keeps on inspiring me to work on my MH-60L project as good as I can. I salute you Sir! ;)

Wow, thanks for the compliments. I'd love to see the progress you make. Glad it was inspiring to you.., I'm very flattered.

I'm not sure what those things are called either. My walk around book I used for reference didn't mention them. In the PE sets Eduard include the two "caps" for them that were easily painted gold then dulled down. Good luck with the avionics.

Oh and feel free to steal whatever pics you want. That chopper has been gone for a while. ;-)

Latest posts

Back