AT-TE Republic Cargo walker (custom)

Unreality

or Jonathan if you prefer
After a swampspeeder and a tank in between, I feel like I need to do a build thread for my fellow addicts. So, for my first build here, I'm kit-bashing a custom AT-TE walker into a cargo carrying version. There was a comic that had an open-top cargo version, but I'm gonna go a little extreme with kit-bashing this bugger together.

I'm starting with Revell's AT-TE model, listed as 1/98 scale. It's pretty decent, but the detail is lacking. It's also modeled after the Clone Wars TV version, which is slightly different than the screen version for AotC and RotS. And I'm using Dragon's RSO Pak 40 model as a base for the rest of the hull.

hoqg.jpg

The kits. (I don't know why this pic isn't showing)

xkd1.jpg

Here's a mockup of the open front and the cargo area. Pilots will sit side by side like the later AT-AT

2sxr.jpg

The kit says its 1/98, but after measuring the hull and comparing it to a reference book, it's close to 1/72...so my Micro Machines figures will fit perfectly. I just need to turn them into Clonetroopers.

Now on to detailing those 6 sexy legs. Lots of scratch-building and head scratching to come.

Hey man ,
Love bashing , --but , I can't enlarge the thumbnails :(
so ... don't know if it's on my end -- not having problems elsewhere ( that I know of :p )

Uh ... well , got it to go with a right click / open link . cool ;)
.... so what is that "tank thing " in the mix ( not the box , the one in the Imageshack album ) -- you bashing with that ? looks pretty groovy

Let me know if that helps. It's weird working with imageshack. I should've tried photobucket.

LOL ;D .... Came back and there they all are !
So , yeah -- that's got em up

yes dude. looking forward to this for sure...

if you can somehow turn it into a master you-know-who would be interested....

Oh yeah! Taking a marginal kit and "giving her the treatment" is FUN.
This one will be awesome to watch come together! So, you are the guy who built the Swamp speeder, and got a vote from me? ;)
Great stuff!!!!!!
;D ;D ;D

Thanks everyone for the comments. Since I have no idea where I'm going to end up going with this, suggestions are always welcome. It's a fairly empty canvas right now.

ModelMakerMike said:
Oh yeah! Taking a marginal kit and "giving her the treatment" is FUN.
This one will be awesome to watch come together! So, you are the guy who built the Swamp speeder, and got a vote from me? ;)
Great stuff!!!!!!
;D ;D ;D

Thank you and thanks for the vote. The Swampspeeder was a fun project. I even bought another FM Snowspeeder for another custom later.

@Urumomo: That was a different project that I did several years back. Our local hobbytown had a contest to build the old Tamiya Panzer II out of the box. So, I did...using everything in the box...including staples and part of the box. http://rebelscale.com/customs/builds/log_reznap2.html

I've been trudging through the legs. Hopefully, I'll get some more pics uploaded before next week. Can you believe the hardest part so far is actually stopping every so often to take a picture?

Trying photobucket thumbs. Let me know how it looks.

So, here's a quick update. I've been detailing the legs. First challenge was created a grooved surface around the feet. After trying grooved styrene, which kept snapping, I decided to use some 1/72 Panzer IV DS tracks. I sliced off all the teeth and the sides. Then I measured out links per foot (it's odd measuring out track links for a walker).

You can see it wrapped around a foot here:

Since I cut the feet off the legs (molded together in the kit), I had to articulate them. So, after racking my brain, I decided to use brass tubing and rods. A short tube would fit into each foot. I would then need to drill a hole all the way through the other edge of the tube to slide a rod into...and then solder it together.

I don't usually recommend using pin drills with a Dremel Stylus, but it worked in this case. I first used a grinding bit to create a flat surface dimple on one side. Then it was just a matter of keeping the tube cooled off while I slowly drilled using a .8mm bit.

Using a low-melting temp. solder paste, I dropped a little into each tube and applied a soldering iron for a few seconds. Yes, the piece was already mounted to the plastic legs, but the low melting point kept me from melting the plastic. Furthermore, I added some solder to the other end of the tube to create some resistance when rotating the foot.

Here it is fitted to the foot.

And here are the tubes for the 3 other small legs. The larger legs required larger rods, which I built the same way. The tube is 1/16 inch or 1.57mm (I prefer metric)

Here's a comparison shot of the modified front leg and the unmodified rear leg. There's still some more detail I plan on adding.

You can also see how the new attachment point for the foot really adds a nice touch compared to the molded on version of the kit.

I still have a long way to go to get the legs done. So far, only 2 are really close to being completed. But once I get the method down, the others should come along nicely. I'm looking forward to getting to the upper compartments.

Cool .
I recommend posting the fullsize pic . I can't expand the thumb but can jump to your album .
This derails the narrative :p

I reposted the progress using the standard sized pics instead of thumbs. I'm hoping this works...stupid photobucket.

So, here's a quick update. I've been detailing the legs. First challenge was created a grooved surface around the feet. After trying grooved styrene, which kept snapping, I decided to use some 1/72 Panzer IV DS tracks. I sliced off all the teeth and the sides. Then I measured out links per foot (it's odd measuring out track links for a walker).

wip_cargowalker_4_zps4a88bb85.jpg~original

You can see it wrapped around a foot here:
wip_cargowalker_5_zps3f0fd7aa.jpg~original

Since I cut the feet off the legs (molded together in the kit), I had to articulate them. So, after racking my brain, I decided to use brass tubing and rods. A short tube would fit into each foot. I would then need to drill a hole all the way through the other edge of the tube to slide a rod into...and then solder it together.
wip_cargowalker_6_zpsb9dee8c6.jpg~original

I don't usually recommend using pin drills with a Dremel Stylus, but it worked in this case. I first used a grinding bit to create a flat surface dimple on one side. Then it was just a matter of keeping the tube cooled off while I slowly drilled using a .8mm bit.
wip_cargowalker_7_zpse539326d.jpg~original

Using a low-melting temp. solder paste, I dropped a little into each tube and applied a soldering iron for a few seconds. Yes, the piece was already mounted to the plastic legs, but the low melting point kept me from melting the plastic. Furthermore, I added some solder to the other end of the tube to create some resistance when rotating the foot.
wip_cargowalker_8_zps57ed672c.jpg~original

Here it is fitted to the foot.
wip_cargowalker_9_zps1b7e0b53.jpg~original

And here are the tubes for the 3 other small legs. The larger legs required larger rods, which I built the same way. The tube is 1/16 inch or 1.57mm (I prefer metric)
wip_cargowalker_10_zps0cd808a7.jpg~original

Here's a comparison shot of the modified front leg and the unmodified rear leg. There's still some more detail I plan on adding.
wip_cargowalker_12_zps0d47c10b.jpg~original

You can also see how the new attachment point for the foot really adds a nice touch compared to the molded on version of the kit.
wip_cargowalker_11_zps106fca39.jpg~original

I still have a long way to go to get the legs done. So far, only 2 are really close to being completed. But once I get the method down, the others should come along nicely. I'm looking forward to getting to the upper compartments.

Not much of an update. I keep having to remind myself the goal of completion...not that other word. ::)

But I have finished the legs. I had to do a lot of Dremel sanding on the larger legs. And I added various 1/35 wheel bits to the larger leg gear housings for added detail.

wip_cargowalker_13_zps538ef06a.jpg~original

I'm working on the hull and the cockpit right now...bit by bit.

Great work indeed!
I have this one in my stash, so I'm following this build with a special interest.
Thumbs up on the results so far!

Solander said:
Great work indeed!
I have this one in my stash, so I'm following this build with a special interest.
Thumbs up on the results so far!

Thanks man. It's actually a decent kit for the price. I would've liked more detail OOTB, but you can't have everything.

Thanks to everyone else as well.

Latest posts

Back