Armor BM-21 Grad MRL

ContestAdmin

Category: Armor

Name of Build: BM-21 Grad MRL

Kit manufacturer: Trumpeter

Scale: Trumpeter

Description
Background:
This is the Trumpeter BM-21 Grad (Hail) multiple rocket launcher (MRL) system.
The BM-21 is basically a 40-barrelled, 122mm (4.8in) rocket launcher mounted on a 6x6 truck chassis which is usually a URAL or ZIL truck.
It was developed in the 1950s and can be considered as a grandchild of the famous World War II rocket launcher, the Katyusha rocket system.
The BM-21 rocket uses a solid-fuel rocket which can carry a variety of high explosive (HE), fragmentation, incendiary and assortment of subunitions.
Known for unwanted dispersals that contributes to its inaccuracy, the Grad serves its purpose as a saturation weapon that can bombard huge amount of area with its continuous firepower.
The Grad was widely used during conflicts in Afghanistan, Iran-Iraq War, and Chechnya.
A modified BM-21 rocket exists today and is widely used by Hezbollah and Hamas in the conflicts in Mid-East.

The Kit:
The kit is molded in light grey plastic with sharp details.
Wheels are molded in black vinyl plus there is a photoetch sheet for delicate parts.
As typical of Trumpeter kits, the plastic is a bit delicate than other kits like Tamiya.
However, the assembly is easy to medium in difficulty.
The only difficulty I had is with the suspensions as alignment of wheels are a real challenge on almost every wheeled armored vehicles.
Modifications were made to simulate battlefield damage and wear.
Wirings and plumbings were also added on the engine compartment and rocket launcher systems.

Finishing and Weathering:
The kit is finished in light sand color by using Tamiya Dark Yellow and Flat White.
I painted it with sand color as I want to make a replica of a BM-21 MRL that was used during the Iran-Iraq War as shown on my reference book.
The light sand color was complimented with washes from AK Interactive as well as DAK Filters and streaking grimes.
Pigments were from Vallejo and Mig Productions.
Decals were custom printed as these are showing Iranian Revolutionary Guard markings.

As common with the Iranian practice during the Iran-Iraq War, propaganda slogans were written.
The script on the right-hand door is handpainted with Vallejo and written in Farsi script that says ‘Marg bar Saddam’ (Down with Saddam).
A custom printed poster of the Imam Khomeini is also attached on the windshield as made common by Iranian soldiers at that time.

Added weathering was done with chippings using the sponge technique.
Paints used for this effect are Tamiya German Grey and Red Brown.

Assortments of stowage are from spares’ box.
Of typical note is the prayer mat that was painted using Vallejo acrylics.
Prayer mats are a must for Iranian soldiers during that time.

Final Images

grad-2.jpg

grad-3.jpg

grad-5.jpg

grad-11.jpg

grad-14.jpg

grad-8.jpg

Latest posts

Back