anyone here in IT?

Just Mike

I love working with computers, troubleshooting, gaming, making cool graphics and stuff. That's why I'm considering a career in IT. I asked my friend who's a programmer about IT and he said he's not in IT, he's a programmer. I didn't know what that meant, whether he was joking or not. Guess I just didn't get it.

Anyway, I just want to know what some of the prerequisites are for working in the field would be. I mean, I really, REALLY suck at math. Is there any math involved?

Would they teach you everything you need to know in college? Right now, I have very basic skills. I can swap out memory or a drive or a power supply. I can turn it on and get rid of programs that don't need to be running in the background. That's about it. Oh,, I'm pretty handy about graphics. Mostly 2D stuff but they're rather nice. I'm talking emblems and signage and whatnot.I wouldn't be able to draw a very decent spaceship or something if asked. I don't even know how to make a straight line in photoshop.

I've worked with computers most of my like. I've had a Timex Sinclair and a TRS-80 when I was young. Guess that just means I've had exposure to the basic computer language. I've also done a bit with DOS.

So, any info you could provide would be awesome!

Thanks!

Hi there Mike,

IT means broad in general, that's why your friend told you he's a programmer that he specialize in software, like programming, web designing anything about application layer and its a part of IT, you have to choose which path suits you not what you heard, yes we used basic math I also hate math especially the computation but in reality, you just learn the basics in school but the best teacher is the real time experience for first timers you might feel you could bang your head to the wall, most of it we really don't learn from school.

there are many branches of IT, like your friend a programmer which also has many language, web base or network base... or you can be an engineer who specialize in hardware and networking.

but the most important part of being an IT person is getting to know by heart, is what we called the OSI model or TCP/IP model, I'll give you an example... since we are scale modelers in order to achieve the finish model, we need start from the first step which we look at the parts to be assembled up until we apply the weathering and extra details. just like computers or laptop as you mention in order to work you need to assemble it first before you or other can use it, this is what we called the OSI model.

I hope this helps, if you still have question just post away I'll be gladly to help.

I finally earned my degree as a Master of Computer Science last year. It was a long, very long, time coming, but in the end it was worth it.

As for what you need and what you’ll learn in college... Keep in mind now, that I don’t know about American colleges, but they can’t be that different from European colleges, can they?

Ahmmm... Anyway... IT and programming is two very different fields of work. A programmer (Master of Computer Science) deals with the software while the IT-guy (IT Technician) deals with the hardware. I actually did both, almost by accident...

An IT technician must have a basic grasp of mathematics. Exactly what kind of mathematics depends on what he’s specializing in. The way I went, for example, involved a fair bit of calculations regarding high frequency radio waves. In fact, that was what eventually made me decide to look at the software instead. It was just sooooooooooo boring...

A Master of Computer Science needs a very solid grounding in mathematics. But once again, it depends on what you want to do. I’m interested in designing interfaces and HCI in general so I skipped the really heavy mathematics and concentrated on the softer Production, Design, and Usability courses. However, if you want to look at software from a more theoretical point of view you’re going to need a lot of mathematics.
But even if you’re not going to be a hardcore theoretical scientist you’re still going to get a lot of mathematics as you’ll need a firm understanding of things like linear arithmetic’s and statistics as well as a smattering of skills within several other areas.

If, on the other hand, you’re more interested in the service-oriented side of IT (working as a service/repair guy) you might be better served by looking at getting various certifications in things like basic OS’s, servers, network, etc.

This is what I find so fascinating with IT. It’s such a broad field of work where a lot of skills overlap. In the end, it simply depends on what you primarily want to work with...

Mike, turn and run the other way...Only kidding ;)

I have been in I.T.(If I need to pigeon hole it) for about 15 years now. In a former easier existence I was a Joiner(Carpenter to you chaps over the water) and migrated into I.T. by accident.

I don't have any of the qualifications, just right place, right time, plenty of enthusiasm and no watch. In the I.T environment I am in you don't need one. You start early in the day and finish when the job is done.

Over here in the UK just now if you have a good grasp of networking and routing you can make some good money and have some fun along the way.

So, in answer to your question. I don't believe you have to be a math wiz. What you have said you are good at you would probably make a good start in desktop support and take it from there.

Hope may ramble made sense and helped you in some way.

Latest posts

Back