Antenna wire size for 1/35 scale Tamiya M3 Stuart Tank.

JackCW

How do you calculate the correct, or close to it, wire size for a 1/35 scale tank antenna? One fellow on YT used a 26 gauge (.026) guitar string, which he thought was pretty close. I can do the larger calculations, but when it comes to things this small, I can't get my head around it. Just to clarify, I'm not a perfectionist, I would just like to know what the wire size would be.

Thanks,
Jack

From this -- > https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/missinglynx/stuart-antenna-length-t98379.html

Brian Colburn -
"
I pulled out my set of MS-116A, MS-117A and MS-118A Mast Sections.

Unassembled each is 39" (1 meter) in length.

When assembled, they are 36" in length.

Three of them are nominally 9' in length. Sometimes the mast sections don't always seat all the way, so there can be a fractional difference in length. Mine measure 9'1" in length.

Four are nominally 12' in length. My four are actually 12'2" in length.

Five are nominally 15' in length. Mine measure 15'3" in length.

This does not count the base height. And the above dimensions do not count the threads of the first mast section, which would be seated in the antenna base. The AB-15 Antenna Base is 13" high, measured from the base it is mounted on - including insulator - to its top.

The point is, not including the base, the MS-116A, MS-117A and MS-118A Mast Sections are going to assemble into lengths being multiples of three feet. So they'll wind up typically being 9', 12' or 15'. Standard issue was one of each, so standard issue is nine feet of antenna plus a 13" base (assuming an AB-15), so that's 10'1". Extra sections could be added.

Also note that they are tapered.

The MS-116A is 10mm in diameter.

The MS-117A tapers from 9.5mm to 6.6mm.

The MS-118A tapers from 6.3mm to 4.1mm, with a small 4.7mm steel ball on the end. "

So ,
10 mm @ 1/35 = .29 mm or about 29 gauge .
6.5 mm @ 1/35 = .19 mm or about 32 gauge .

For whip antennae I use cat's whiskers. They have a nice curve built into them and a slight taper. Our cats regularly shed one and I save them in my detailing supplies.
I don't have any cats, but we have four Greyhounds; what scale are their whiskers?

From this -- > https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/missinglynx/stuart-antenna-length-t98379.html

Brian Colburn -
"
I pulled out my set of MS-116A, MS-117A and MS-118A Mast Sections.

Unassembled each is 39" (1 meter) in length.

When assembled, they are 36" in length.

Three of them are nominally 9' in length. Sometimes the mast sections don't always seat all the way, so there can be a fractional difference in length. Mine measure 9'1" in length.

Four are nominally 12' in length. My four are actually 12'2" in length.

Five are nominally 15' in length. Mine measure 15'3" in length.

This does not count the base height. And the above dimensions do not count the threads of the first mast section, which would be seated in the antenna base. The AB-15 Antenna Base is 13" high, measured from the base it is mounted on - including insulator - to its top.

The point is, not including the base, the MS-116A, MS-117A and MS-118A Mast Sections are going to assemble into lengths being multiples of three feet. So they'll wind up typically being 9', 12' or 15'. Standard issue was one of each, so standard issue is nine feet of antenna plus a 13" base (assuming an AB-15), so that's 10'1". Extra sections could be added.

Also note that they are tapered.

The MS-116A is 10mm in diameter.

The MS-117A tapers from 9.5mm to 6.6mm.

The MS-118A tapers from 6.3mm to 4.1mm, with a small 4.7mm steel ball on the end. "

So ,
10 mm @ 1/35 = .29 mm or about 29 gauge .
6.5 mm @ 1/35 = .19 mm or about 32 gauge .
Thank you. I'll have to sit down, take a little time and do the math.

I use stretched sprue and just eyeball the diameter.
That's an artform as after several attempts I just can't seem to get it right. It could have been the sprue plastic....maybe. Probably just my inept ability but I have in mind to gather several spru offcuts from future builds and devote an evening to pulling plastic !!!
Pantherman

Yeah, Pantherman, it takes a little practice, to get the feel of it, to move at just the right moment. And sometimes, I'll warm up (pun intended!) with some practice pieces, before I get the results I want. But it's a skill that's definitely worth mastering. I use stretched sprue not just for antennas, handles, etc, but fine stretched sprue is useful to fill some seams and gaps. I like using it instead of putty, if possible, because I like the idea that the seam or gap is homogenous material.

Latest posts

Back