'Angry' Little Bird

f2k

It’s probably about time I get into gear and start building.

Thus, I have set myself a challenge. I’ve got a nice extended Easter Holyday, running all the way to the fifteenth of this month. So, can I complete a full build in that time? Well, we’ll have to see about that, won’t we...?

As I mentioned previously in the “What’s new...” thread, I’ve come across a small stash in my cellar that I had forgotten all about. And one of the kits in that stash was the AH-6A ‘Night Hawk’. Well, that’ll be as good a kit as any, I thought to myself, and so that’s become the object of this challenge.

This ‘little bird’ is indeed very tiny. Truth be told, I’m actually not sure if my big clumsy fingers can handle something as small as this. It’s really really small, with a few rather fiddly parts. Oh well, I’ll do my best.

Of course, as usual, I can’t help myself but just have to do some conversion work. So, rather than building it straight OOB, I’ll do a bit of cutting, grinding, and sculpting, turning it into a one-of-a-kind little bird.

Why angry, you might ask? Well, you’ll see... Oh yes, you will see...

Anyway, as for the contents of the box...

I was wondering if I should do a short video review of the kit. But since I won’t build it OOB, I never got around to jury-rigging my old camera up as a video recorder. Oh well, so be it...

Instead, I took a few pictures of the sprues.

The box contains three small sprues: one in clear plastic with all the glass, including a rather prominent cockpit canopy, and two with the parts needed to build the helicopter itself.

One interesting thing, besides the incredibly tiny parts, is the fact that only the left-hand doors are separate on the sprue. The right-hand doors are moulded into the right half of the fuselage so if you intended to have all doors open you’ll have to do a bit of careful cutting.

As for the details, the fuselage seem nicely detailed with engraved lines and some tiny tiny tiny rivets

The cockpit, on the other hand, seems rather underwhelming. Few details, seats with no seatbelts and no real distinguishing features and a flight console that’s adequate bot nothing to write home about.

Honestly, I don’t know so much about this particular chopper so I can’t say for sure how it ought to look. However, comparing with alternative kits, most in larger scales, it does seem that the cockpit is somewhat lacking. I might just attempt to rectify that as I go along...

Finally, there are some really basic instructions and some decals. The kit contains options for three variants: U.S: Special Forces in the Arabian Gulf (overall Olive Drab), Israeli airforce in South Lebanon (overall Tan), and the Japanese Army in Hokkaido (three-tone green/brown/black camouflage).
The instructions, while basic, are good enough to easily build one of these, although it did take me a few read-throughs to figure out which option-parts was to be used for which version. In any case, as I mentioned, I’ll build my own version so it doesn’t really matter that much.

You might notice that the instructions and decals are looking rather grimy. That's due to a fire we had in the cellar a few years ago. While my room wasn't directly affected, there was a fair bit of water and soot damage, so it's no surprice that the papers are a bit dirty.

looking forward to this build. I have the italeri 1/72 cayuse kit which is similar to this one. I am still looking for this kit on the market as it would be a good basis for a MH-6 conversion. good luck with this build

Hey f2k Welcome abroad Bro!

This Little Bird L@@Ks pretty Kool. can't wait to see what you do with it. Good Luck!! :D

Well, seen in broad daylight things aren’t looking as good...

So, I took the fuselage of the sprue and boy, is this going to be problematic... Not only is the tail badly twisted, there are also some very visible ejector marks inside the cockpit.

Bad, bad, bad...

Normally I wouldn’t be so upset about ejector marks – I’d just remove them. But this bird is so small, and the marks in such a bad place, that I’m not sure how I can get them removed. The fuselage is just so thin that I’m almost afraid of taking a knife to it. Oh well, I’ll figure out a way to do it...

For now, I’ve wrapped the fuselage in tape to try to help the tail to get back into shape.

Meanwhile I’ll be starting on the cockpit. I’m kinda wondering if perhaps I can get it build in such a way that I can insert the cockpit into the assembled fuselage through the front – that would make it much easier to assembled and prepare the fuselage. It looks as though that should be possible...

Oh yeah... It also turns out that what I thought was engraved panel lines was actually raised. Took me some good daylight, a big magnifying glass, and several minutes of squinting at the model to figure that one out.
Not that it matters much though. Don’t think I would have been able to pinwash the panel lines at this small scale anyway. But I still don’t quit understand why on earth models are made with raised panel lines...?

It looks like you have your work cut out for you. I know how you feel about bad seams and pin marks.

I think raised panel lines are from the older model kits. They were easier to manufacture.

those ejector pin marks look terrible. i would probably use a curved xacto blade to slowly remove some of it then work the rest with sanding sticks. also be sure to double check the fit of the canopy. in the reviews of the oh-6 kit i have seen, this seems to be a problem area as well. i beleive they used the same molds for both kits. gotta love italeri!

Good thing the Termites didn't attack the kits :D Nice to see you jump in, F2k!!!

Thanks for the encouragement guys – as always, I appreciate it.

A lot of careful cutting, scrapping, and filing later, and I managed to get rid of those ejector marks that would be visible once the fuselage has been assembled. Hopefully didn’t cut away too much...

I’ve experimented a bit with yesterday’s idea about inserting the cockpit through the front of the chopper. In the end I’ve given up on it again. It feels as though it should be possible, but I’m afraid it’s going to require too much stress on the fuselage to do it that way so I’ll have to make do with a more conventional assembly procedure.

I’ve added the skids to the main fuselage. Doing it now seemed a good idea since I could do it with the two halves of the fuselages taped down and level. Using an old USB-stick and a piece of plast-card to give me the correct spacing, I’m currently watching the glue dry on what I hope to be two identical and level skids.

In the background you can just make out the cockpit that’s slowly being assembled. I’ll post more pictures of that as it gets nearer to painting...

Remember what I said about ejector marks?

Seriously, who the *biib* places an ejector mark right where the tail is supposed to be attached? I'm just asking...

Generally, the quality of this particular kit seems rather bad. Everything's warped and nothing fits properly.
I've now attached the rear-door windows as well as the left rear-door itself to the fuselage. If you look closely, you can see big gaps around the hinges on the left door. The windows aren't properly placed either - I simply couldn't get them to fit as they should. Well, it's going to be "good enough" I think, but still...

Yes, I know there's a fair bit of glue visible on the inside of the windows but that won't matter much once I get to the painting stage...

Eastrock said:
that's a lot of work for a little bird, F2k!!! :D

Yeah. It's not nearly as easy going as I had expected it to be.

Oh well, who said it had to be easy...?

Eastrock said:
will you building a base kit for it?

I'll probably end up doing a base, yes. We'll have to see, but right now I think that's where I'll be heading eventually.

Anyway... I've gotten a few more things done. The cockpit is now almost assembled, the two small overhead windows have been inserted, and the main rotor completely assembled.

Talk about a bad fit...

Whereas the windows for the doors were too big and had to be sanded down to size, the small overhead windows were almost a full mm. too small. I had to hold them in place with masking tape while carefully applying glue from the inside. The predictable result, of course, was that the glue leaked around the window and mixed with the glue on the masking tape, producing a milky-white window.

Bugger...

Oh well, no big worry. That too will get fixed during the painting.

The rotor was a big pain in the behind as well. The five blades attach to the shaft at a tiny piece of plastic, barely two mm. squared, with nothing to keep them in place. I hope I’ve managed to get them secured, but I’ll have to see what it looks like once the glue’s completely dried.

Fingers crossed...

Sorry ‘bout all the complaining. I realise that I’ve been spending most of this thread complaining about this and that, but, in all seriousness, this is a very bad kit.

I’m almost tempted to get the larger 1:35 scale kit from Dragon, just to see what this bird might look like when properly build. But one thing at a time...

Italeri's kits can be very frustrating to build. With the exception of a few hard to get kits I have sworn them off. Too many half built projects that hit the wall because of bad enginering.

Are you planning on blacking out the rear windows. Most Ah-6's have those painted over and the pilots/co pilots doors are usually left off. I have seen these helicopters at our local airshow in Tampa and they are really cool up close. Hang in there this will turn out good.

I always like those small choppers. Thou the Italeri kit will require some work.

noc5659 said:
Italeri's kits can be very frustrating to build. With the exception of a few hard to get kits I have sworn them off. Too many half built projects that hit the wall because of bad enginering.

Yeah, I’m beginning to sense that...

I too will be steering clear of Italeri from now on. A small kit like this shouldn’t really be this much of a hassle.

To tell you the truth, I’m beginning to regard this build as nothing more than a training exercise in preparation of building a big “little bird”. The 1:35 scale Dragon kit with some Eduart PE looks tempting...

Are you planning on blacking out the rear windows. Most Ah-6's have those painted over and the pilots/co pilots doors are usually left off. I have seen these helicopters at our local airshow in Tampa and they are really cool up close. Hang in there this will turn out good.

Yep, that was indeed the plan. Not that I have much choice now that the rear windows are all frosted over with glue...
The rear- and overhead-windows will be painted over. Which is why I'm not too upset about the problems with leaking glue.

I was thinking about leaving the front doors off so you can see straight into the cockpit. But since the right door is moulded into the fuselage I might just settle for leaving the left door open.
It's either that or start doing some serious cutting to get the left door removed.

Well, the bird’s been grounded for a few days since I had other things demanding my attention. But today I got back to working on it.

In the end I decided to carefully cut out the right door. Now, all that’s remaining is to close the hinges on the left for and that should be good to go.

I’ve also finished the cockpit. Since the rear doors will be painted over, I’ve used small pieces of plast-card to block the view to the rear area of the cockpit. I’ve also done some wannabee seatbelts from masking tape, folded over and then glued down. It’s by no means perfect, put at this scale it should be good enough... I hope, anyway...

Finally, a mock-up picture of the hull with the cockpit inserted. I still got a few things to do before gluing it all together (painting the inside would be a good place to start... :) ) but it’s actually beginning to look like a helicopter now.

As an aside, I’ve had a good look at the 1:35 scale Dragon kit. Looks rather nice, particularly with some PE added. But unfortunately, the kit comes without any doors so I won’t be able to replicate this particular build.

Well, of course I could scratch-build the rear doors, but I’m not sure how that’s going to end so... Tough luck on that...

That is One tinny chopper !

Good luck ! I gave up on mine... not sure why ? I probably messed up the canopy ?

anyway ! looking forward to see yours completed !!!

Norm.

Latest posts

Back