AMT SLAVE 1- BOBA FETT VERSION-

Jurasikfrank

What a piece of junk...
Hey guys, yeah, I know, another slave.
Just registered it for the 2012 SMA Spring Contest but I've been working at it since April 3rd...
Now, who likes seem lines?
This is just another fantastic :-X AMT model kit, comes with your regular awfull fit and a special touch of inacuracies. But hey, it was on my shelf and I like challenges.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

In order to hope being done for June 30th, I'm gonna have to put on the side my AMT Millenium Falcon docking 94 diorama.

As for the Slave, all I've got so far is lots of fun fun fun sanding ;D
I got rid of the original panel lines and, after another sanding session, I'll be doing some scribing. The plan is to have the cockpit and engines lit.

Good luck to everyone!
Cheers

Thanks a lot Tanker!
Just finished looking at you building log; really like it. There's a link in there from a fellow member to the original Studio model which will also come very handy.

That's it, I did it. Call me crazy but I sanded off all those panel lines. I'm not done with the seem lines yet (putty sand sand, putty sand sand) but as soon as I am, I'll have a LOT of scribing to do. And just to make it a real challenge, it will be my first time at scribing panel lines. May the Force be with me ;D

Cheers!

Hey,
Been pretty busy lately ; promotion at work ;D ;D
But you know how it goes: promotion = more responsabilities = less free time = less modeling time ???
In the end, it's all good though.
Ok, slave.
Loooots of sanding, filing, dremelling (is that a word?), priming, sanding, scibing, more sanding, just never ends. I think it was Scott, our dear host, that once said :"this hobby shouldn't be called modelling, it should be called sanding LOL.
Basically, I finally got rid of all the seem lines, all the panel lines and ALL the inacurate details. I just started to scratch built the new details and carving some real recessed panel lines. Sorry no pictures yet... maybe tonight.
My next model will be from Fine Molds if you know what I mean :D
Cheers guys!

As promissed, pictures.

Top view:

Bottom skirt just after scribing and a last quick sanding. The piece was not cleaned so the collected dust would give a better look at the new panel lines:

Before and after picture showing the sanded down inaccurate details and panel lines:

I hope I'm getting point for this ;D.
I'm having a lot of fun, I just hope I can finish in time...

Thanks for watching!
Cheers

Hi, i am building the same kit myself and did think about removing all the panel lines and plating but as it's my first kit back was a little daunted. What technique and tool did you use to rescribe them as they look perfect. I have started to custom the cockpit and make it more like the Finemolds version. Am following this with great interest. looks great so far though. Jay

This is great work right here, all this hard work will definitely pay off. Looking forward to the next update ;D

You have a lot of courage to work on this OLD Gal !!!!! When the FM kit is out there....

Looking great and I am looking forward to your next update !

Hey guys!
First off, let me appologies for the late reply; work has been CRAZY. :p
The little time off I have must be spent on the Slave 'cause time is running short and I haven't started painting yet :-\

7165jay07 said:
Hi, i am building the same kit myself and did think about removing all the panel lines and plating but as it's my first kit back was a little daunted. What technique and tool did you use to rescribe them as they look perfect. I have started to custom the cockpit and make it more like the Finemolds version. Am following this with great interest. looks great so far though. Jay
I'm pretty happy with how they look but they're far from perfect, mainly because I never did this before... but as I'm progessing, results are getting better and better. I used different tools for the scribbing: xacto, needle point, but what REALLY works great is the Tamya scriber, no contest. One of the main assets is that it doesn't leave raised residu on each side of your lines; just scribe and blow off the excess and you're done. As a guide, I use dymo tape like most people do. To scribe the curved line, I needed to cut a very thin piece of dymo tape because, it wont follow a curved line on its full width (does that make any sense?)
Thanks for you interest Jaitea, can't wait to see your falcon painted!

merseajohn said:
This is great work right here, all this hard work will definitely pay off. Looking forward to the next update ;D
Thanks for your support MJ. I'm probably blushing litte a little girl right now, 'cause I'm a big fan of your work ! ;D

schweinhund227 said:
You have a lot of courage to work on this OLD Gal !!!!! When the FM kit is out there....

Looking great and I am looking forward to your next update !
For some reason, I always end up with the crappy versions of kits ;D
I guess I like the challenge or I'm just crazy, don't ask my wife though...
Next update should be, ahhhh, soon...
Thanks guys and Cheers

Thanks for sharing the tip Frank, I will get one and give it a try. I watched Grendels vid and he came to the same conclusion with regards to the Tamiya tool and Dymo tape. I tried with the knife and dental pick on an old plane wing and the results were not good :-\

Ok, detail reconstruction:

Here's where I'm standing right now:
A few more hours of panel line scribbing ahead and after that I'm attacking the guns... before so I think I'm gonna have to scratchbuilt a more accure base for the guns, never ends :'(
Then, I'll begin assembling the top fuselage to the skirt.
Once that is done, cockpit, then wings (more scratch building there I'm sure).
At some point I'll have to start thinking electronics; planning to light this thing.
As you can see, planning ain't my forte LOL ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for watching guys, and of course comments and constructive criticism are always welcomed.
Cheers!

Dude, this is already looking so much better. I tip my hat to you for taking the time and effort to really make this kit shine.
Now, I feel spoiled by the FM kit. Applause.

Good schtuff!
I like when we can work on a model that maybe doesn't have all the bells and whistles, and sharpest details....Not every rivet or nut and bolt.
I feel more freedom with such kits. :)
You are doing a great job so far!!!!
Looking forward to seeing this one come together.
;D ;D ;D

;D the detailing looks amazing, i am definitely going to rescribe mine now and add more accurate surface details. I've been working on the cockpit and playing with a few ideas but ref pics of the actual studio model or screen shots are proving hard to find.

Latest posts

Back