AMT SLAVE 1- BOBA FETT VERSION-

Great weathering. I am a huge Star Wars fan and the chipping is superb. I wonder if The Slave 1 is the most weathered subject around... well sci fi wise anyway?

Gav

I have used that weathering technique before and will do so again. The only problem is that oils do take some time to dry. But other than that. It can produce great results!

Interested in seeing her all done!

adampolo13 said:
I will have to try using BBQ sauce for my next attempt at weathering!!! ;) Looks great
Thanks !
As for the BBQ sauce experiment, grape juice would be my thinner of choice ;D

merseajohn said:
Nice job really tying it all together ;D Fitchenfoo is quite simply awesome.
Thanks John !
Short story,
Being a fan of star wars I was surfing the net about the millenium falcon and ended up by accident on modelman Tom's Cut-Away in-prog video. I was amazed by what could be done with a bare plastic model, some LEDs, fiber optics and lots of hard work and patience. This first video led me to Fichtenfoo's discoloration tutorial. That was it ! Less then 24 hours later I was walking out of a hobby shop with an airbrush, a few kits, LEDs, fiber optics, paint, etc... That was in April 2011. Because of the generousity of modellers of all around the world through the use of internet, my progress as been fast and so encouraging! So thanks everyone to share your knowledge and passion !

kiwi gav said:
Great weathering. I am a huge Star Wars fan and the chipping is superb. I wonder if The Slave 1 is the most weathered subject around... well sci fi wise anyway?

Gav
Thanks Gav!
hum, as far as heavy weathering goes, my first prize goes to the Millenium Falcon (Sci-fi category of course). A cool thing about the slave is that, altough it's a vilain's ship, its got the warm feeling of the rebel fleet. In comparision, the empire's ships are all very uh, neat and clean, with very little weathering. I should mention that I'll go a notch lighter on the slave then I did on the falcon.

Grendels said:
I have used that weathering technique before and will do so again. The only problem is that oils do take some time to dry. But other than that. It can produce great results!

Interested in seeing her all done!
Agreed, oils WILL take time to dry. The good thing about this is that, at this time, I can't put much more then an hour an hour and a half a day every second day on modelling. So I get all the pro's of oils without its long drying time. And they are SO EASY to work with. 8) Nevertheless, could you guide me towards weathering alternatives that have a faster drying time ? Thanks Grendel!

Thanks a lot guys,
More progress soon!
Cheers

I have done most of my weathering with oils, so I have not tried the alternative as of yet. Quite a few use the AK interactive stuff, which does not take the time to cure that oils do.

Hey guys,
For my second layer of discoloration I decided to try something different : using some very light grey and light rust. The idea for using the light grey was to dry to get some rain mark effects.
I learned a little something, the lighter in color the oil is, the less you see the effect when it's still wet. But when it dries, HOLY MAMA !
Since oils don't cure very fast, I was able to tone down the effect by simply washing it off with turpenoid.

As you can see, it's still pretty heavy... well heavier then I wanted anyway. It's kinda garbage container heavy!
My next layer should be darker streaking.

Cheers

Great paint chipping and varied weathering effects. Keep up the good work. Bill

Quaralane said:
May not be coming out the way you envisioned, but it's still looking good

Thanks Quaralane, it's exactly the way I'm feeling now; not what I envisioned but still pleasant to the eye. It funny how a couple of days off can change your perspective on things. What I learned: if you want to use white or light grey do some streaking/discoloration, APPLY VERY LIGHTLY. Especially on darker colors.

PANZERMAN said:
Great paint chipping and varied weathering effects. Keep up the good work. Bill

Thanks Bill.
This model is really pushing me forward to experience different techniques. Great part, I'm having a blast doing it.

merseajohn said:
Awesome 8)

Hey MJ ! As always: Thanks for your ongoing support :D

kiwi gav said:
I must agree fantastic weathering and chipping.

Gav

Thanks Gav ! ;D
There's more to come...

For my next layer of "subtle streaking", I used more dark rust, some german ochre (great to warm up a surface) and starship filth (black/grey/dirty greenish blue). I'm very happy with this layer; it seems to brings a nice depth to the ship and the excess starts to collect in the recesses of the panel lines which gives a nice contrast.
Pikatures

Next layer: individual panel discoloration...
Thanks for watching guys!
Cheers

Thanks guys!
Coming along...

Ok, panel discoloration:
Pictures

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A bit sloppy in some corners but overall, I really like the realism this step brings.
I need to complete this steps on the wings and on the "bottom part". Then some gentle highlights using oils again.

For the base, I'd like to mold and cast some real rocks. These are pretty big... can anyone recommend something for this ? An industrial product perhaps ?

Thanks guys !
Cheers

You are getting that shading and streaking down.

I don't know of anything to cast up rocks. This is one area that I have not explored yet.

Great Job on the Streaking!!! Overall paint scheme coming together nicely. Looks like this ship has been around the galaxy a few times and seen some action. A suggestion the rocks and boulders, look at the train section of your local hobby shop. Also, check out Hobby Lobby or craft stores that carry train accessories. There are molds for casting boulders as well as premade rocks that you can paint.

Latest posts

Back