AMT SLAVE 1- BOBA FETT VERSION-

I would never have thought of this -

Grendels said:
One way to prevent bleed through with masking tape is to spray the tape with the base color after it is applied. To make sure you understand what I am saying I will give you steps:

1) paint the base color
2) mask
3) paint the base color again to seal down the tape
4) paint the secondary color
5) remove the tape.

I have also painted masking fluid directly on the tape to seal it down.

But it is great advice! I can't wait to try it out. Thanks G!

Jurasikfrank - Great work so far!!! Can't wait to see her all finished up!

Thanks guys !
yup, Grendels, that little tip is very useful. After unmasking, it so happens that I had more bleed... Used the technique you posted and ta-dam, no bleed !! So thanks !

Ok pictures:

I also unmasked the canopy, poor Boba, all alone in the dark, I missed him :p
I have some white glue residue in two places. It's not so bad, it actually looks like the canopy cracked a bit. But I have some other kind of residue, it can't be Future bleed 'cause I taped that canopy with lots of layers and painted some masking fluid on top of that. So it must be masking tape glue residue... I guess...
That canopy was close to flawless before I masked it... :mad:

Oh well, moving on. Any Idea on what I should use to clean the canopy ? That canopy got the Future bath technique...

Cheers!

Looking good!

Jurasikfrank said:
Oh well, moving on. Any Idea on what I should use to clean the canopy ? That canopy got the Future bath technique...

Maybe a polishing cloth?

That paint chipping looks fantastic! Really excellent work there.

Depending on how bad it is, I wouldn't be too concerned if there's some residue on the canopy. Probably something splatted on the window when it flew through that Star Destroyers garbage deposit!

Quaralane said:
Looking great here. That chipping has worked well for you
Thanks Quarlane ! yup, I'm very happy with my last "chipping session" !

merseajohn said:
Wicked! 8)
;D Love your comments John ! Always cheerful and constructive, thanks!

blakeh1 said:
Looking good!

...Maybe a polishing cloth?
Thanks Blakeh! Tried the polishing cloth... no success. I'll explain bellow.

Grendels said:
That paint job is great!

As for the canopy, I have no idea.
Hey thanks Grendel. Of everything I did on that ship, the colors are what I'm most satisfied with. I really like the Vallejo air paints, but when it comes to get that specific color you're looking for, Tamiya paints (I'm using acrylics) is my favorite choice; just a few bottles and a bit of isopropyl alcohol will get you a very long way, if you don't mind creating your own colors that is.

adampolo13 said:
maybe a little bit of windex on a q-tip and see if you can gently get the residue off?
When I read that comments I just left the computer to give windex a try... I almost broke my neck going down the stairs, there was no time to waste ;D
Unfortunatly, it didn't work. I think the residue was a mix of Future and tape glue... tough stuff. Some of it went away but I would still be rubbing at this point to get all of it out. But you know what? that tip will come in handy one day I'm sure. Thanks ;D

Igard said:
That paint chipping looks fantastic! Really excellent work there.

Depending on how bad it is, I wouldn't be too concerned if there's some residue on the canopy. Probably something splatted on the window when it flew through that Star Destroyers garbage deposit!
Thanks Igard. I actually tought about leaving it alone but, depending on the angle I was looking at it, it looked pretty bad. My personnal explanation was that Boba Fett went to a "sexy hutt's car wash fund raiser" and the slave 1 got some serious body rubbing action... ishhhh... :-X

Anyway, I DIDN'T like it. Doing all that "hard" work throughout this project, I wasn't going to cut corners like this at the end. Besides, I didn't want to look at this build and only see the defects of it.

OUT CANOPY !!!
:eek: :eek: :eek:
That's right, I removed it! Dumped it in a bath of windex for a few minutes and got my kitchen sponge out and clean it good. Then, into a bath of future with a touch of food coloring to get that brownish shade effect.

I then masked the cockpit (again) to repaint the top and bottom portions of it in german grey.

Thats where I sit right now.
On my way to the man cave to do uh... stuff, not sure yet.
Cheers guys!

Dude, you are nuts nuts nuts. But in a very dedicated ambitious way. In fact I am very impressed with your dedication. I don't know if I could have pulled that canopy off but you make it look so easy. Keep up there great work!!!

Yeah dude your certainly persistent lol. Looking forward to the weathering stage! ;D looks great.

I can relate to your attitude, no compromises, because the parts you skip over will always bug you.

Your build looks amazing, I only hope my projects will look this good

J

Fantastic job! Very nice fix on the canopy, really shows your dedication and love for this build. It's looking awesome.

Wow, thanks guys ! Starting something over seemed very intimidating to me before I started this build. I've got to say that the satisfaction of re-doing something and making it better is tremendous. :D

Ok, update:
Started the weathering process fun fun fun!
I was planning on starting with one or two filters but decided on a different strategy: discoloration. This technique (explained in 6 parts I think) I learned from this guy: Discoloration Tutorial Part 1 for Millenium Falcon Weathering
I'm basically doing the exact same thing that I did for my AMT Millenium Falcon with great results. I'm lightly wetting the surface with white spirit and then I apply dots of different colors using oils. Here you can see I have blue, dark rust and a grayish muddy color.

Then I take a clean flat brush wet with white spirit and I wipe the excess off (following the curvature of the fuselage and the logic of gravity) until I get a light rain mark sort of effect. My camera is nothing fancy so the pictures aren't that great but I think you'll get a feel of it. Those close up pictures remind me of my teenage years when I was looking at my face in a mirror under neon light.... ishhhh..... :-X Anyway, this is my first layer of discoloration.

It's subtle but when seen in person, the different colors on the ship are already blending with each other making it more realistic. No barbecue sauce or ketchup was used during this process, I was just too lazy to clear the table... I know some of you guys recognize themselves in this, come on, don't be shy, it's okay to say it... ;D

Leave to dry and next post will be the second layer of discoloration!

Later guys,
Cheers

Latest posts

Back