AMT Round 2 Star Trek USS Reliant 1/537

DRHarris61

I have recently begun a build on the AMT Round 2 re-pop of the 1/537 Reliant. This is a kit which has been discontinued by Round 2, so if I screw it up at all, there are no easy fixes by getting new parts or a new kit.

To quickly summarize what I plan for this build, I have purchased the Paragrafix photo-etch set for this kit, as well as a navigation/strobe lighting set-up from Tenacontrols, and inboard clear blue flux chiller grilles and clear bridge and B/C deck replacements from Don's Light & Magic. I do intend to get the quad photon torpedo control board from Tenacontrols, but I have to save up for it. I am debating using the bridge and B/C deck replacements at this time. They are more accurate, but they may be more difficult to modify for lighting than just using the existing kit parts. I will post more in the next few days as I can to get current on how far I have progressed.

Continuing with the progress update on my Reliant build. The first step was the usual washing of all the kit parts with a soapy S.O.S. pad to clean the mold release agent and at the same time to roughen up the surface a bit for the primer coats. I then copied from a YouTube build log and sanded off the raised navigation and strobe blisters.

Next came the fun part of drilling windows. With the exception of the 18 round ports on the bottom of the saucer around the planetary sensor dome, this kit has no scribed windows. Fortunately, the Paragrafix PE set has templates for just this purpose. I picked a smaller bit and drilled pilot holes first, 2-3 each in the elongated ones. Removed the template and came back and enlarged the holes with a bit just smaller than the template holes, to allow for filing and shaping on the elongated ones.

Next up was drilling holes for the navigation beacons and strobes on the hull. Don't remember what sized bit, but it will allow the 1.5mm butterfly LED to just poke it's head above the surface, but no more. I had to carve out a well on the inside where the hole is drilled to allow the LED to sit so the tip pokes through the other side. Have to be very careful you don't carve the hole bigger when doing this. More to follow.

Nice start, the windows look good. A bit tedious and time consuming though I bet?

Good luck with the rest.

Thanks Constantine. And yes, the windows are a bit tedious. The most difficult part is getting the elongated ones to look uniform and straight/level. Easier than the 1/1400 Enterprise-E though, or the Enterprise-D. Talk about cross-eyed. ;)

DRHarris61 said:
Thanks Constantine. And yes, the windows are a bit tedious. The most difficult part is getting the elongated ones to look uniform and straight/level. Easier than the 1/1400 Enterprise-E though, or the Enterprise-D. Talk about cross-eyed. ;)

But it pays off.

Latest posts

Back