AMT/MPC Falcon rebuild

ozzyguanche

Hi guys,

First post here, so first up hello to those I dont know, and hello to those I do know.

Being a Millennium Falcon fan, I have been blown away by the builds I have been watching develop here and on SSM forum. These builds have inspired me work on my own falcon I stated 5 years ago. It was the first model I had ever owned. First one started and looks to be the last one finished. LOL

But the motivation I am feeling watching you guys, I am going to have a crack.

Sooo, to start my Falcon, I needed to destroy it!!!!

Here are a few pics of were I was up to I when I stoped work on it, maybe 2 years ago.

IMG_1970.jpg
IMG_1973.jpg
IMG_1967.jpg

The first step was to deconstruct the Falcon, so I sprayed oven cleaner all over it and left it in a plastic bag for two days. Much of it came apart and the rest I just pulled apart.

I now have this.

DSC00131.jpg
DSC00133.jpg

I have started going through the parts to see what I can use and what needs to be rebuilt. When I first started the falcon I was looking for just the basic shapes so I missed a lot of detail, and got a lot of propotions wrong. Not to say i am going to get this spot on this time, I will not. But I would like to correct some major mistakes and put some detail I think I am capable of now that i was not then.

The first part I am working on is the Wankel Engine. which I have got the correct size, and will use as a measuring tool for other parts. Its not finished but here are a few pics working on the old parts.

DSC00135.jpg
DSC00134.jpg

Small start, but I feel good working on it again.

Look forward to your comments and watching your builds.

PS: Thanks Scott for letting me on the forum, at short notice.

Ozzy

Glad to have you on board Ozzy! I'm looking forward to progress on your Falcon, it's going to be EPIC!

frankly, I thought it was looking great already...not sure why you deconstructed it back to basics.....

But it's gonna look sweet regardless

This will be interesting to watch! I didn't know there was a Wankel engine on the kit.

Thanks for the welcome guys, and I just hope I can keep up with you lot.

Grendels said:
This will be interesting to watch! I didn't know there was a Wankel engine on the kit.

Grendels, I should have been more clear about my Falcon. The Falcon was an AMT kit. The side walls, cockpit, cockpit tube, docking rings, gun bays, engine grills/lights etc etc, were scratch built in the image of the 5 foot falcon. I spent 3 years on and off building it, and learning scratch building. I was never happy with it though.

So since ILM (Lucas model shop) built the original 5 foot falcon from other kit parts. I am now going to make each part or combonations of parts based on the actual parts rather than just what you see on looking at the 5 foot Falcon. One of the most recognisable kit parts on the 5 foot alcon is the 1/5 th Wankel engine. So The Wnakel engine is not on any kit, only on the original Model.

Ozzy

ozzyguanche said:
Thanks for the welcome guys, and I just hope I can keep up with you lot.

Grendels said:

Grendels, I should have been more clear about my Falcon. The Falcon was an AMT kit. The side walls, cockpit, cockpit tube, docking rings, gun bays, engine grills/lights etc etc, were scratch built in the image of the 5 foot falcon. I spent 3 years on and off building it, and learning scratch building. I was never happy with it though.

So since ILM (Lucas model shop) built the original 5 foot falcon from other kit parts. I am now going to make each part or combonations of parts based on the actual parts rather than just what you see on looking at the 5 foot Falcon. One of the most recognisable kit parts on the 5 foot alcon is the 1/5 th Wankel engine. So The Wnakel engine is not on any kit, only on the original Model.

Ozzy

does this mean that your are going to attempt to locate the right kit parts in a useable scale?

does this mean that your are going to attempt to locate the right kit parts in a useable scale?

No, not for the most part. I will find references (Many friends have the actual kit parts) and scratch them in the right scale. There maybe a few tank parts that may work, but the scale conversion dictates that the tanks be 1/140 scale. 1/144 is close but you can see the difference.

I have looked over the years for kit parts in the right scale, but most of the kits pieces used do not traslate into the correct scale to rebuild an MPC falcon. And at least 2/3rds do not exist in correct scale for any other scale. If that makes scence. RE: you can get all the tank kits in 1/144th, so scale the falcon down to saw the size of the Fine molds Falcon (or a little smaller) but the parts used from the 1/35th tanks kits on the 5 foot falcon do not exist in the 6-7 piece kits in 1/144th. Same with many other kits.

The only real way to got a close to perfect model smaller scale is to get the original kit parts, scan them and down scale 3d print. Which will happen one day I am sure. But utill then I will keep on trying to make the parts myself, and my own Falcon.

Cheer's

Ozzy

Grendels, here is a pic of the parts I am going through. Most of which I made, and 2 peices I have found from a kit that turn out to be the right size. The picture under the peices, is a parts map made by Rodmart over on TRF forum. I am using his maps to size the peices and arange them. You can see the left side of the Wankel engine on the far right (Scratched) There are pieces (Hand made) to match parts from a king tiger kit,rad 8 wagon, messhersmit etc, etc.

DSC00169.jpg

It is amazing how many kit parts are on the Falcon, and every other star wars model. Its a hobby on its own jusr identifying all the parts.

Ozzy

:eek: All those years building the ultimate Falcon... only to Destroy it ! Why ?

LOL

Hey its your falcon ! You can only make it even better...

What have you done with your Crew ? there were so Cool !

Keep up the good work...

Have not had much to show, apart from small parts I am trying to make. A lot of failures and a few successes.

I have pretty much finished the inner mandable wall which will be cast and altered to suit the oposite side. Here is a pic, with the original AMT Above. The F1 Wheel in the center has driven me crazy trying to get it the right height and diam. I think I have got it close.

Anyway First Wall done. Any suggestions on inprovement or changes are welcome.

DSC00218.jpg

PS: the parts are just sitting there, not glued, if it looks a bit off. They will be cast individualy as 3 parts in just this area are repeated a number of times around the rest of the Falcon.

Ozzy

Thanks guys,

Only a few hundred more parts to build. I dont think I will be finishing this by the contest close date but what's another couple of years working on a falcon.

Thanks for looking.

Ozzy

Hi Guys,

Ok! I have been working on some parts that are repetitive around the falcon. I have been trying my hand at casting and have had some big failures, and a few succeses. So with the failures, I have been putting together some mock ups of those repetitive areas.

First to continue with the mandable area, is the inside mandable, finished. A few added details, and I think its enough.

DSC00224.jpg

Next is the top and bottom plates of the ummm, hmmm "what do you call it". I start to make the base plate for this as well, but decided if I keep on building everything then its not realy an AMT re-build, so i am going to use as much of the original kit as I can, and whatever can be cast up as parts can be used by others to enhance/upgrade their AMT/MPC falcons. All I did with this section was cut the midle section out, and sand back some of the raised detail, leaving some relief to see. I only have done the one side so far as I had to make sure it fit. Need more detail, or is this enough. Keep in mind I am not trying to achieve Fine molds level of detail. Just enough to stamp it 5 foot recognisable.

DSC00220.jpg
DSC00219.jpg

Same parts, here is the repeat in another area. Side wall

DSC00231.jpg

Repeated again on the other side: Mirror image though.

DSC00227.jpg

Hummal parts and other
DSC00229.jpg

I am trying to make the sealab parts next. Hope to be able to add them to the casted list soon.

Thanks for looking

Ozzy

I recognize the green kit parts from a Sherman tank made by Heller. Or maybe it's airfix ?

Latest posts

Back