Am I the Only Person who handbrushes?

Swanningabout

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly."
I need to know if there is some sort of website or book that teaches one how to use handbrushes--not just for details or for figures, but for whole kits. I have been handbrushing for years and most of what I turn out is shit. But I hate airbrushes. They produce great results, but they are a pain in the ass to use. Surely there is someone who knows how to handbrush?

Several light coats will definitely help but I don't think you'll ever get an "airbrush finish" by hand brushing, not in my experience anyway, especially on large flat surfaces. Sorry I'm not really helping here... I come from the miniature hand painting school so I think I know how you feel.
Allow me to say a few word on airbrushes.
Airbrushes can be very intimidating when first used compared to hand brushes, but trust me, just a bit of practice and you'll pass that "AAAARRrrrrrgggghhhh" stage. In the beginning, using a pre-thinned paint like vallejo air will help; no need for thinning is almost half the battle. A few drops in the airbrush and you're ready to go. On top of that there are guys with tremendous talent on this site willing to help and the net is full off great tutorials.

Good luck!
Frank

My advice would be to find the best self leveling additives and use brushes to produce the fewest brush strokes.
I agree that airbrushes are a pain but the effort is worth the results and the time saved. After you've dialed in the right cosistancy of the paint it's great. Or meet in the middle and use rattle cans, most colors are available...
Sorry couldn't be more help..Good luck ....

well for me I have hand brushed 95% of all my models I still haven't fully set up my hobby room where the airbrush will be. But I found putting the paint on without thinning namely Testors brand wait til it dries then go over it with the widest brush you have with a more thinner mix which most of the time will work to get rid of brush strokes I will put up some closer better picks of my stuff just for an idea.

Latest posts

Back