All Wings Report In... (Battle of Yavin Red Squadron Build)

Ozzman78

"Only imperial stormtroopers are so precise."
So the next project is all the x-wings from the battle of yavin. Well at least 1-6. I have reference for 12 but not 7-11 (if any has a lead on that let me know). I know I need to wrap up the sucker punch B25, Vader's X1, and the Falcon but had to get started on this.

So the first thing I have to post is my color plan for Red leader through Red Six. The up side of being an Art Director is having the adobe creative suite at your finger tips. Colors are based on all the reference I could get my hands on. Color names are based on Testors colors I thought would work.

I do not claim that these plans are the only way to paint these ships. If you did something different, awesome, that the beauty of Star Wars kits. Tips and comments welcome as always.

Right click view image to zoom in for more detail.

13738913395_d1ed75fb70_o.jpg

13739317244_71e8b1e1e1_o.jpg

13739317644_6deb1bf576_o.jpg

13739318274_4825e16f7e_o.jpg

13738914825_a5f45edf1e_o.jpg

13738915225_9f6d6665f5_o.jpg

Wow great work on the color scheme! Glad to see I was fairly close to my Red 1. Thanks for the pics, and looking forward to seeing this one come up!

This I'm really liking the look of....defo keeping an eye on this chap.

Will you be looking at the Y-Wings as well?

Cant remember if the B-Wing was used at the battle of Yavin?

I might do the Y-Wings in the future. B-Wings are battle of Endor, none at Yavin.

Awesome! I hope you don't mind, but I'm saving a copy of all those marking guides for my own use in the future. Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out!

Mikey_W_1980 said:

I believe the B-Wing was introduced between ESB and ROTJ. The alliance only fielded X-Wings and Y-Wings during the battle of Yavin.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Yavin

Thanks Scott. Your Red Six vids planted the seeds of this.

I need to see Star Wars vids from you!!

Scott Girvan said:
Nice work on those color charts.

Please do save them! I hope they help.

ClumsyModeler said:
Awesome! I hope you don't mind, but I'm saving a copy of all those marking guides for my own use in the future. Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out!

Mikey_W_1980 said:

I believe the B-Wing was introduced between ESB and ROTJ. The alliance only fielded X-Wings and Y-Wings during the battle of Yavin.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Yavin

Ozzman78 said:
Thanks Scott. Your Red Six vids planted the seeds of this.

I need to see Star Wars vids from you!!

Cool. I do need to get back to a SW build sometime; heck I need to get back to a build of any kind sometime.

Very cool idea in making these painting guides! I'm going to save a copy of them as well, with your permission of course. Now you need to add the weathering to your ortho's!

Ozzman78 your building these right? Which kits are you using? AMT, Revell Snaps, Revell 1/35, FM 72/48? Salzo V3?

robiwon, yes please save them for yourself. Anyone who wants to save them go for it.

Glorfindel, yes I'm building these. I'm using the Revell 1:72 snaps. I'm in the process of collecting 6, got 3 so far. I built red 3 and 5 with these kits, I think they came out really well. Detail is good on those kits. Lacking where the cannon tubes meet the laser housing and the inner wing engine opening is to big.

The Revell xwings I built last year. Red 5 is fairly correct, Red 3 I missed a few details. These are being replaced as part of this new project.

great info ... looking forward to the Y-Wing version

What were the droids they carried ?
We know R2 was Red5, I think Red2 had a green looking droid, the others are a challenge ..

Easy

Red 1 - R5-K6 (red with black and white trim)
Red 2 - R2-A3 (silver and red)
Red 3 - R2-Q2 (sliver and black)
Red 4 - R4-M9 (white with green trim)
Red 5 - jeez I think we know
Red 6 - R5-D8 Unit (white with red and yellow trim)

The R series number tells you which head shape.

Y-wings I might do.

cobraleader said:
great info ... looking forward to the Y-Wing version

What were the droids they carried ?
We know R2 was Red5, I think Red2 had a green looking droid, the others are a challenge ..

Thanks ozzman, your display is very cool. Using the small snappers makes a full fleet a financial possibility.

And so it begins...

14046153632_f51c2fbea2_z.jpg

14049357075_97d0748afa_z.jpg[

14049357325_ab3aca5012_z.jpg

Making the engine trench the correct size
14026211396_3860a54ab5_z.jpg

Latest posts

Back