All Wings Report In... (Battle of Yavin Red Squadron Build)

Thanks gents!

Can anyone suggest a primer that works well with rubber like materials? I didn't think my primer would do this but the droids are still tacky. Never had a problem with any other medium with this Krylon primer but this odd rubber material seems to not like it.

Ozzman78 said:
Thanks gents!

Can anyone suggest a primer that works well with rubber like materials? I didn't think my primer would do this but the droids are still tacky. Never had a problem with any other medium with this Krylon primer but this odd rubber material seems to not like it.

Maybe try a light grey water based acrylic through the airbrush for a good base to paint on. Im pretty sure it dries well over that type of hard rubber. Great job on Red Leader by the way. That new white panel gets my attention!

Jake,
Thanks for the suggestion I will try an acrylic primer. Yeah, the camera is making the white look "WHITE!" Its really not that bonkers in person, I'm a crud photographer.

Update on Red 2; ship is about done, base will need to wait for warm weather to continue (I rattle can outside).

16077771049_578ec08af4_c.jpg

16262071761_3232548a6b_c.jpg

16076520920_2749b26b5f_z.jpg

16078023847_aaf088e13c_c.jpg

Another update on this project... Red 3 is finished up, as with the others the base needs final paint. I might be on hold for a bit while I wait for warmer weather to rattle can Red 4.

The new Bandai kits have me at a cross roads... I could build red 4-6 with those rather than wrap up with the Revell kits. Revell are ok kits (detail on the laser lances stink) but wow are the Bandai kits are sweet.

Red 3 pics:
16195228577_d17d7dfb5e_c.jpg

16194898749_d02b4f8c7e_c.jpg

16193722970_d51624b157_c.jpg

15761121273_b1fb59e385_c.jpg

-Ozz

Bigg's bird is looking sharp.

And I'd definitely go with the Bandai X over the Revell

Very nice work! Jaitea clued me in on your color reference pics. Very useful as I'm building a BanDai kit for the BSC...
And now I want to build a whole fleet like you...

What a cool project. These are coming out very cool looking. I have been inspired. :)

I really like how on Red 1 it looks like the ship took a nasty hit to the front part on the nose and a newer panel replaced the damaged one. Then back into action with no time to clean up the surrounding panels from the blast.

...and thank you for the color charts. Downloaded and saved for future reference.

I hope the charts help out, can't say the colors I picked are 100% ILM accurate but the placement I matched to ILM photos.

You nailed why I love Red 1, the story ILM told with the weathering on that ship is great.

I plan to build Red 4, 5, and 6 with the new kits, sadly on hold until we move to our new house and I get my workshop built out.

Thanks for the positive review.

Regardless of how accurate or not color wise, you replicated the story behind Red 1 beautifully. This set will tell quite a story when completed. Very cool. 8)

I like the story so much I think I will use this effect on all kinds of future Sci-Fi models. ;D

I hope your move goes smoothly so you can get back to this soon.

Ozzman78 said:
I might do the Y-Wings in the future. B-Wings are battle of Endor, none at Yavin.

The X-Wing color char is excellent! Thanks SO MUCH for sharing this. Did you ever do one for the Y-Wings?

I know this thread is old, but I was wondering - those orthographic views of red 1-6 at the start of the thread are great! I'm pretty sure they never built reds 7-11, but there is a 12 which you've said you have references for. Do you have orthographic views of 12?

I do have a ton of Photos for the y wings and I do have red 12 images. I will make color maps for both and post for all to use when I have time. My design biz has been slammed so it might take a bit to get to. Stay tuned.

Latest posts

Back